ldap and ruby

Jan Lühr

Hello,

I'm using ruby/ldap (http://ruby-ldap.sourceforge.net/) for accessing
ldap-Servers so far, but run in a few issues with active directory
servers while using openldap2 as backend. (Crendentials seem to be
forgotten during searches)

Since ruby/ldap seems to be inactive so far (last release was in 2006)
I'm looking for alternatives.

ruby-net-ldap drew my attention, but this seem to be abandoned either.

Do you know any alternatives?

Thanks,
Keep smiling
yanosz

Suraj Kurapati

Jan said:
ruby-net-ldap drew my attention, but this seem to be abandoned either.

Lack of updates doesn't necessarily mean abandonment. I think
ruby-net-ldap has just reached a stable point some years ago and needed
no further refinement to serve its purpose.

In my experince, ruby-net-ldap has *much* better documentation than
ruby/ldap and is also simpler to use. Try it! :)

Adam Gardner

Jan said:
Hello,

I'm using ruby/ldap (http://ruby-ldap.sourceforge.net/) for accessing
ldap-Servers so far, but run in a few issues with active directory
servers while using openldap2 as backend. (Crendentials seem to be
forgotten during searches)

Since ruby/ldap seems to be inactive so far (last release was in 2006)
I'm looking for alternatives.

ruby-net-ldap drew my attention, but this seem to be abandoned either.

Do you know any alternatives?

Thanks,
Keep smiling
yanosz

I can also say, I've used ruby-net-ldap and was very happy with it. Give
it a try!

jfh

Adam said:
I can also say, I've used ruby-net-ldap and was very happy with it. Give
it a try!

The downside is that it doesn't seem to work with 1.9. I couldn't
get it to work at all even following up on some of the patches
and bug reports on the RubyForge page.

The good news is I created a patch for ruby-ldap-0.9.7 to get it
to work with ruby 1.9. I added it to the SourceForge tracker here
in case anyone's interested:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2622809&group_id=66444&atid=514521

By the way, you can go a long way to porting a C extension to ruby 1.9
by just doing this:

ruby -pi -e '
gsub(/RARRAY\s*\((\S+?)\)->len/) { "RARRAY_LEN(#{$1})" };\
gsub(/RARRAY\s*\((\S+?)\)->ptr/) { "RARRAY_PTR(#{$1})" };\
gsub(/RSTRING\s*\((\S+?)\)->len/) { "RSTRING_LEN(#{$1})" };\
gsub(/RSTRING\s*\((\S+?)\)->ptr/) { "RSTRING_PTR(#{$1})" }; ' file.c