    might help ?

    Thanks,
    duli.
    duli, Jul 2, 2008

  2. duli

    Puppet_Sock Guest

    On Jul 2, 8:44 am, duli <> wrote:
    > I am a newbie learning C++ by going through "Accelerated C++" by
    > Koenig and Moo.
    > I am a little overwhelmed by the complexity and breadth of C++ and
    > don't know
    > how I can learn it effectively.
    > I wanted to get your advice on how you learned C++. If you did a
    > project that particularly
    > helped, please suggest one.  Are there IDEs for the Mac that you
    > recommend that
    > might help ?

    A project couldn't hurt. But don't think reading one book,
    even a book as good as Koenig and Moo, will make you a
    good software developer. Nobody masters it in a week,
    though you may be productive in a well structured shop
    after a few months of learning.

    Check out the book reviews at www.accu.org. Pick a topic
    that interests you and dig in.

    Night classes or "continuing education" classes at your
    local college are often good. Check google for your local
    area and see what local colleges are offering.
    Socks
    Puppet_Sock, Jul 2, 2008

  3. duli

    osmium Guest

    "duli" wrote:

    > I am a newbie learning C++ by going through "Accelerated C++" by
    > Koenig and Moo.
    > I am a little overwhelmed by the complexity and breadth of C++ and
    > don't know
    > how I can learn it effectively.
    > I wanted to get your advice on how you learned C++. If you did a
    > project that particularly
    > helped, please suggest one.

    I'm assuming you are kind of competent in *some* procedure oriented
    language.
    I would break it down into major groups, try to focus on one group at a
    time, in this order.

    o OOP fundamentals
    o templates
    o STL
    o inheritance
    o virtual functions
    o exceptions

    That's from the top of my head and may have some shortcomings. If you can
    write your own string class you have a good handle on the fundamentals.

    I have the book you mentioned and don't like it, despite it's wild
    popularity. I view it as a book in how to use the STL. Josuttis is far
    better, it not only teaches you how to use it but also can be used as a
    reference manual later.

    I like the following authors: Robert Lafore, Stephen Prata, Josuttis, and
    Stroustrup (third edition or better, only). I believe Lippman is good but
    have no personal knowledge.

    Two exercise I found helpful were writing a string class and writing a game
    of roulette. The latter was good from a practical standpoint, how to write
    programs that aren't monolithic.

    Spend at least a couple hours exploring the nook and crannies of
    Stroustrup's home page. Also the FAQ for this group.

    http://www.research.att.com/~bs/
    http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/

    If you can find a course with a good instructor, it is by far the best way
    to *start* learning something so hideously complex.
    osmium, Jul 2, 2008
  4. duli

    Lambda Guest

    On Jul 2, 8:44 pm, duli <> wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > I am a newbie learning C++ by going through "Accelerated C++" by
    > Koenig and Moo.
    > I am a little overwhelmed by the complexity and breadth of C++ and
    > don't know
    > how I can learn it effectively.
    > I wanted to get your advice on how you learned C++. If you did a
    > project that particularly
    > helped, please suggest one.  Are there IDEs for the Mac that you
    > recommend that
    > might help ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > duli.

    I think Accelerated C++ is a good first step.
    Try to complete all the exercises. When I do it,
    I encountered a lot of questions and solved a lot of questions as
    well.
    Then I read the book carefully again and post questions here.
    Reading book with questions is effective.
    Lambda, Jul 3, 2008