Learning C++ questions

duli

Hi:

I am a newbie learning C++ by going through "Accelerated C++" by
Koenig and Moo.
I am a little overwhelmed by the complexity and breadth of C++ and
don't know
how I can learn it effectively.
I wanted to get your advice on how you learned C++. If you did a
project that particularly
helped, please suggest one. Are there IDEs for the Mac that you
recommend that
might help ?

Thanks,
duli.

Puppet_Sock

I am a newbie learning C++ by going through "Accelerated C++" by
Koenig and Moo.
I am a little overwhelmed by the complexity and breadth of C++ and
don't know
how I can learn it effectively.
I wanted to get your advice on how you learned C++. If you did a
project that particularly
helped, please suggest one.  Are there IDEs for the Mac that you
recommend that
might help ?

A project couldn't hurt. But don't think reading one book,
even a book as good as Koenig and Moo, will make you a
good software developer. Nobody masters it in a week,
though you may be productive in a well structured shop
after a few months of learning.

Check out the book reviews at www.accu.org. Pick a topic
that interests you and dig in.

Night classes or "continuing education" classes at your
local college are often good. Check google for your local
area and see what local colleges are offering.
Socks

osmium

duli said:
I am a newbie learning C++ by going through "Accelerated C++" by
Koenig and Moo.
I am a little overwhelmed by the complexity and breadth of C++ and
don't know
how I can learn it effectively.
I wanted to get your advice on how you learned C++. If you did a
project that particularly
helped, please suggest one.

I'm assuming you are kind of competent in *some* procedure oriented
language.
I would break it down into major groups, try to focus on one group at a
time, in this order.

o OOP fundamentals
o templates
o STL
o inheritance
o virtual functions
o exceptions

That's from the top of my head and may have some shortcomings. If you can
write your own string class you have a good handle on the fundamentals.

I have the book you mentioned and don't like it, despite it's wild
popularity. I view it as a book in how to use the STL. Josuttis is far
better, it not only teaches you how to use it but also can be used as a
reference manual later.

I like the following authors: Robert Lafore, Stephen Prata, Josuttis, and
Stroustrup (third edition or better, only). I believe Lippman is good but
have no personal knowledge.

Two exercise I found helpful were writing a string class and writing a game
of roulette. The latter was good from a practical standpoint, how to write
programs that aren't monolithic.

Spend at least a couple hours exploring the nook and crannies of
Stroustrup's home page. Also the FAQ for this group.

http://www.research.att.com/~bs/
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/

If you can find a course with a good instructor, it is by far the best way
to *start* learning something so hideously complex.

Lambda

Hi:

I am a newbie learning C++ by going through "Accelerated C++" by
Koenig and Moo.
I am a little overwhelmed by the complexity and breadth of C++ and
don't know
how I can learn it effectively.
I wanted to get your advice on how you learned C++. If you did a
project that particularly
helped, please suggest one.  Are there IDEs for the Mac that you
recommend that
might help ?

Thanks,
duli.

I think Accelerated C++ is a good first step.
Try to complete all the exercises. When I do it,
I encountered a lot of questions and solved a lot of questions as
well.
Then I read the book carefully again and post questions here.
Reading book with questions is effective.