learning curve

Verde Denim

Just getting into Py coding and not understanding why this code doesn't
seem to do anything -

# File: dialog2.py
import dialog_handler

class MyDialog(dialog_handler.Dialog):
def body(self, master):
Label(master, text="First:").grid(row=0)
Label(master, text="Second:").grid(row=1)
self.e1 = Entry(master)
self.e2 = Entry(master)
self.e1.grid(row=0, column=1)
self.e2.grid(row=1, column=1)
return self.e1 # initial focus

def apply(self):
first = string.atoi(self.e1.get())
second = string.atoi(self.e2.get())
print first, second # or something

# File: dialog_handler.py

from Tkinter import *
import os

class Dialog(Toplevel):

def __init__(self, parent, title = None):
Toplevel.__init__(self, parent)
self.transient(parent)

if title:
self.title(title)
self.parent = parent
self.result = None
body = Frame(self)
self.initial_focus = self.body(body)
body.pack(padx=5, pady=5)
self.buttonbox()
self.grab_set()

if not self.initial_focus:
self.initial_focus = self

self.protocol("WM_DELETE_WINDOW", self.cancel)
self.geometry("+%d+%d" % (parent.winfo_rootx()+50,
parent.winfo_rooty()+50))
self.initial_focus.focus_set()
self.wait_window(self)

#
# construction hooks
def body(self, master):
# create dialog body. return widget that should have
# initial focus. this method should be overridden
pass

def buttonbox(self):
# add standard button box. override if you don't want the
# standard buttons
box = Frame(self)

w = Button(box, text="OK", width=10, command=self.ok,
default=ACTIVE)
w.pack(side=LEFT, padx=5, pady=5)
w = Button(box, text="Cancel", width=10,
command=self.cancel)
w.pack(side=LEFT, padx=5, pady=5)

self.bind("<Return>", self.ok)
self.bind("<Escape>", self.cancel)

box.pack()

#
# standard button semantics
def ok(self, event=None):
if not self.validate():
self.initial_focus.focus_set() # put focus back
return
self.withdraw()
self.update_idletasks()
self.apply()
self.cancel()

def cancel(self, event=None):
# put focus back to the parent window
self.parent.focus_set()
self.destroy()

#
# command hooks
def validate(self):
return 1 # override

def apply(self):
pass # override

alex23

Just getting into Py coding and not understanding why this code doesn't
seem to do anything -

Is that the sum total of your code? You're not showing any
instantiation of your classes.

Verde Denim

Is that the sum total of your code? You're not showing any
instantiation of your classes.
Yes, as a matter of fact, it is the example verbatim from the tutorial
pages that I found. Apparently, it isn't the best example... Thanks for
the heads up.

Terry Reedy

Yes, as a matter of fact, it is the example verbatim from the tutorial
pages that I found. Apparently, it isn't the best example...

Let us say that it was an example of how to write classes, with usage
left as an exercise for the reader ;-)