Learning the JavaScript debugger Venkman (tutorial)

svend

Hey everyone,

I've written a tutorial to the Venkman debugger for Mozilla
<http://www.mozilla.org/projects/venkman/>. It covers all features
that I'm aware of, and most importantly, it's written with the
"normal" JavaScript programmer in mind. Thus, I've focused on a
tutorial form, with clear examples and pictures, so that the user
hopefully doesn't get lost. You can find it here:

http://www.svendtofte.com/code/learning_venkman/

I'd love comments on what can be improved.

Regards,
Svend

<[email protected]>

Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft

Hi,
Hey everyone,

I've written a tutorial to the Venkman debugger for Mozilla
<http://www.mozilla.org/projects/venkman/>. It covers all features
that I'm aware of, and most importantly, it's written with the
"normal" JavaScript programmer in mind. Thus, I've focused on a
tutorial form, with clear examples and pictures, so that the user
hopefully doesn't get lost. You can find it here:

http://www.svendtofte.com/code/learning_venkman/

I'd love comments on what can be improved.

Regards,
Svend

Sounds good, I will read it and comment.

For completeness sake, note that there actually is a debugger for
Netscape 4, it's available at

I also disagree that people who program JavaScript are not programmers.
The mere fact that they program make them programmers. They might not be
professionals, but they are programmers, and they'd better start
thinking as programmers if they want good results ;-)

More comments will follow when I have time.

Laurent

Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft

Hi,

Svend said:
Sounds good :)

Hmm, that had somehow slipped my mind. I'd try it out, but I don't
really feel like ... installing NS4.

I understand. I just mentioned it to be complete. Your intor gives the
impression that there was nothing before Venkman.

Hmm, that's also strange, as I agree, and I don't really know why I said
that ( ... JavaScript people are usually not programmers). But
regardless, my impression is still, that many people write JavaScript,
without being gurus of programming (and that's a Good Thing), and
further, might not know "traditional" software tools (gdb, etc). Thus
I've tried to aim at that crowd (since I still feel part of that crowd).

Regards,
Svend

I couldn't agree more with that, and it is exactly what makes
JavaScript, IMHO, a fascinating language!

Laurent