    course I get a lot of clashes with ISO std C++ conventions.

    example) old style std library includes such as iostream.h

    thanks
    Mark, Sep 26, 2004

  2. Mark

    Phlip Guest

    Mark wrote:

    > [sorry for the compiler specific question]
    >
    > In the Visual C++ 7.1 compiler is there a legacy code mode? This is
    > for non-GUI code. Its easy enough to bring the project in but of
    > course I get a lot of clashes with ISO std C++ conventions.
    >
    > example) old style std library includes such as iostream.h

    VC++ has no "legacy mode". Think about it - the compiler's environment would
    need to somehow track every possible combination of SGI and pre-Standard
    STL, just to hit the exact mix you got.

    Fix the actual code. If you hesitate, this is a sign your code has no unit
    tests. To fix your real problem, write what it does again, bit by bit, into
    a new project. Make sure that project goes one feature at a time, and add a
    test each feature before pulling in the next feature.

    Use the legacy code only as a cheat sheet, to show you things like how to
    call SetPriorityClass() or RasEnumConnections().

    Along the way, write the cleanest code you can, following rules such as
    found in style guidelines like /Code Complete 2nd Ed/ by Steve McConnell.
    And _frequently_ review your current progress and your code's state with
    your boss and colleagues.

    --
    Phlip
    Phlip, Sep 26, 2004

  3. Mark

    Mike Wahler Guest

    Re: [OT, redir, link] legacy code compatability mode

    "Mark" <> wrote in message
    > [sorry for the compiler specific question]

    Compiler-specifics are not topical here. Don't
    apologize, just don't post material about it here.
    Since this group is not about such material, there's
    no reason to expect that any answers will be correct
    or useful.

    > In the Visual C++ 7.1 compiler is there a legacy code mode?

    Were I needing to know the answer to this, I'd ask in
    a group where Visual C++ is topical. (See www.msdn.microsoft.com
    for technical info about MS products, and a list of newsgroups
    about them.

    -Mike
    Mike Wahler, Sep 26, 2004
  4. "Mark" <> wrote in message
    > [sorry for the compiler specific question]
    >
    > In the Visual C++ 7.1 compiler is there a legacy code mode? This is
    > for non-GUI code. Its easy enough to bring the project in but of
    > course I get a lot of clashes with ISO std C++ conventions.
    >
    > example) old style std library includes such as iostream.h
    >
    > thanks

    Fix the code. Unless your code is really really bad it should be a fairly
    painless process. Ask here if you need any help on this.

    john
    John Harrison, Sep 26, 2004
  5. Mark

    Sachin Garg Guest

    If your only concern is getting "depriciated" warnings (C4995), you
    can probably go to project properties > C++ > Advanced, and disable
    this warning.
    Sachin Garg, Sep 27, 2004