legality of re-using code?

Discussion in 'C++' started by Nobody, Aug 9, 2006.

  1. Nobody

    Nobody Guest

    As fellow developers, I'm sure most of you have built a "bag of tricks" or
    classes or whatever over the years that are well tested and "bullet proof".
    What is the legality of taking such classes with you from job to job? Is
    this a "don't ask, don't tell" type thing? the "bag of tricks" in my
    question was being worked on long before I joined company X, although
    enhancements and additions where done on company X's time as well as my own
    time (ie... if I need an addition to my library, I would work on it quite a
    bit on my own time) and eventually integrate it into the product, but of
    course also spent time on the enhancements on company X's time.

    The deal is, the classes really have nothing to do with company Xs product.
    Ie. company X does security type software where as my "bag of tricks" is a
    bunch of gui support classes. I no longer work for company X as I was laid
    off...

    Am I allowed to use my support classes else where? as it would take YEARS to
    re-write them? the ui styles my library supports are pretty common in the
    industry, but if they decided to reverse engineer executables or DLLs, they
    would find commonalities.

    Just checking on the legalities of this or any such situations... Thanks!

    Nobody, Aug 9, 2006

  2. Nobody wrote:
    > As fellow developers, I'm sure most of you have built a "bag of
    > tricks" or classes or whatever over the years that are well tested
    > and "bullet proof". What is the legality of [...]

    Better ask in 'misc.legal.computing' or in 'comp.software-eng'. Here
    we talk C++ *language*.

    Victor Bazarov, Aug 9, 2006

  3. Nobody

    Daniel T. Guest

    In article <jtsCg.832$0F5.588@fed1read04>, "Nobody" <>
    wrote:

    > As fellow developers, I'm sure most of you have built a "bag of tricks" or
    > classes or whatever over the years that are well tested and "bullet proof".
    > What is the legality of taking such classes with you from job to job? Is
    > this a "don't ask, don't tell" type thing? the "bag of tricks" in my
    > question was being worked on long before I joined company X, although
    > enhancements and additions where done on company X's time as well as my own
    > time (ie... if I need an addition to my library, I would work on it quite a
    > bit on my own time) and eventually integrate it into the product, but of
    > course also spent time on the enhancements on company X's time.
    >
    > The deal is, the classes really have nothing to do with company Xs product.
    > Ie. company X does security type software where as my "bag of tricks" is a
    > bunch of gui support classes. I no longer work for company X as I was laid
    > off...
    >
    > Am I allowed to use my support classes else where? as it would take YEARS to
    > re-write them? the ui styles my library supports are pretty common in the
    > industry, but if they decided to reverse engineer executables or DLLs, they
    > would find commonalities.
    >
    > Just checking on the legalities of this or any such situations... Thanks!

    We don't know the legalities of these types of situations, that's for
    lawyers. However, in every programming job I've ever had, I was required
    to sign over all my copyrights to the company. Everything I wrote,
    belonged to them...

    Daniel T., Aug 10, 2006
  4. Nobody

    Nobody Guest

    "Daniel T." <> wrote in message
    > In article <jtsCg.832$0F5.588@fed1read04>, "Nobody" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> As fellow developers, I'm sure most of you have built a "bag of tricks"
    >> or
    >> classes or whatever over the years that are well tested and "bullet
    >> proof".
    >> What is the legality of taking such classes with you from job to job? Is
    >> this a "don't ask, don't tell" type thing? the "bag of tricks" in my
    >> question was being worked on long before I joined company X, although
    >> enhancements and additions where done on company X's time as well as my
    >> own
    >> time (ie... if I need an addition to my library, I would work on it quite
    >> bit on my own time) and eventually integrate it into the product, but of
    >> course also spent time on the enhancements on company X's time.
    >>
    >> The deal is, the classes really have nothing to do with company Xs
    >> product.
    >> Ie. company X does security type software where as my "bag of tricks" is
    >> bunch of gui support classes. I no longer work for company X as I was
    >> laid
    >> off...
    >>
    >> Am I allowed to use my support classes else where? as it would take YEARS
    >> re-write them? the ui styles my library supports are pretty common in the
    >> industry, but if they decided to reverse engineer executables or DLLs,
    >> they
    >> would find commonalities.
    >>
    >> Just checking on the legalities of this or any such situations... Thanks!

    > We don't know the legalities of these types of situations, that's for
    > lawyers. However, in every programming job I've ever had, I was required
    > to sign over all my copyrights to the company. Everything I wrote,
    > belonged to them...

    What about this whole "prior art" thing some companies make you sign when
    they hire you? Wouldn't that imply that if you brought it in and they let
    you use it, they have their copy and you have yours and each can do with it
    what they please?

    Nobody, Aug 10, 2006
  5. Nobody

    Daniel T. Guest

    "Nobody" <> wrote:

    > "Daniel T." <> wrote:
    >
    > > We don't know the legalities of these types of situations, that's for
    > > lawyers. However, in every programming job I've ever had, I was required
    > > to sign over all my copyrights to the company. Everything I wrote,
    > > belonged to them...

    > What about this whole "prior art" thing some companies make you sign when
    > they hire you? Wouldn't that imply that if you brought it in and they let
    > you use it, they have their copy and you have yours and each can do with it
    > what they please?

    Don't know, never signed one.

    Daniel T., Aug 10, 2006
  6. Nobody

    Noah Roberts Guest

    Nobody wrote:
    > As fellow developers, I'm sure most of you have built a "bag of tricks" or
    > classes or whatever over the years that are well tested and "bullet proof".
    > What is the legality of taking such classes with you from job to job? Is
    > this a "don't ask, don't tell" type thing? the "bag of tricks" in my
    > question was being worked on long before I joined company X, although
    > enhancements and additions where done on company X's time as well as my own
    > time (ie... if I need an addition to my library, I would work on it quite a
    > bit on my own time) and eventually integrate it into the product, but of
    > course also spent time on the enhancements on company X's time.
    >
    > The deal is, the classes really have nothing to do with company Xs product.
    > Ie. company X does security type software where as my "bag of tricks" is a
    > bunch of gui support classes. I no longer work for company X as I was laid
    > off...
    >
    > Am I allowed to use my support classes else where? as it would take YEARS to
    > re-write them? the ui styles my library supports are pretty common in the
    > industry, but if they decided to reverse engineer executables or DLLs, they
    > would find commonalities.
    >
    > Just checking on the legalities of this or any such situations... Thanks!

    If modern history is any indication then unless you signed something
    otherwise then company X owns everything. I remember one case where
    the guy had been working on this project for 20 years, signed on to a
    company and while working there had a breakthrough, at home, that made
    everything he wanted to do possible....he lost his project.

    I make sure to have something in writing that says what I work on at
    home is mine so long as it isn't part of a product or project for hire
    with the company. Of course your bag of tricks thing might be a
    problem...the way I would have solved that would be to sell the library
    to the company with perpetual upgrading while you work for them. A
    special contract just for that thing.

    Otherwise, I just figure that whatever I am working on at work is
    theirs. I don't try to walk off with it even if it is a generic "bag
    of tricks". My generic bag of tricks is technique that I adopt though
    I must admit I've only been doing this a few years.

    Noah Roberts, Aug 10, 2006
  7. Nobody posted:

    > the ui styles my library supports are pretty
    > common in the industry, but if they decided to reverse engineer
    > executables or DLLs, they would find commonalities.

    Then just say that you wrote your own library using the same programming
    techniques and so forth...

    --

    Frederick Gotham

    Frederick Gotham, Aug 10, 2006