    Any help is appreciated.

    Regards

    Lars

    Lars Hedström, Feb 28, 2004

  2. Lars Hedström

    SpaceGirl Guest

    "Lars Hedström" <> wrote in message
    news:vK10c.84448$...
    > Hi
    >
    > I am looking for some heavy letters i want to use as initial letters.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Lars

    er...? In what. HTML?

    I guess Arial is the most striking of the web fonts you can use. All the
    other fonts which are available for web sites (pretty much: arial, times,
    courier, verdana, tahoma) are too um.. curly. You cant use any other fonts
    because you can't guarantee people have them installed on their machines.

    SpaceGirl, Feb 28, 2004

  3. Lars Hedström

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "SpaceGirl" <> wrote:
    >"Lars Hedström" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I am looking for some heavy letters i want to use as initial letters.
    >>

    >er...? In what. HTML?
    >
    >I guess Arial is the most striking of the web fonts you can use. All the
    >other fonts which are available for web sites (pretty much: arial, times,
    >courier, verdana, tahoma) are too um.. curly.

    Arial Black and Impact are both much 'heavier' than Arial. If the
    rest of the text is in Arial then Arial Black would be a good choice
    for initials as it won't clash too badly.

    Surveys like http://www.visibone.com/font/FontResults.html or
    http://www.codestyle.org/css/font-family/sampler-WindowsResults.shtml
    show them to be quite widely available as well.

    >You cant use any other fonts
    >because you can't guarantee people have them installed on their machines.

    You can't guarantee that _any_ font is installed on any given machine
    - no font in the above surveys had 100% coverage.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Feb 28, 2004
  4. Lars Hedström wrote:

    > I am looking for some heavy letters i want to use as initial letters.

    'g' is quite a light letter.
    '£' is about 450 times heavier than 'g'.
    'T' is heavier still: one million times heavier than 'g'.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Feb 28, 2004
  5. SpaceGirl wrote:

    > I guess Arial is the most striking of the web fonts you can use. All the
    > other fonts which are available for web sites (pretty much: arial, times,
    > courier, verdana, tahoma) are too um.. curly. You cant use any other fonts
    > because you can't guarantee people have them installed on their machines.

    You can't even guarantee those. A fresh install of Windows 98 doesn't
    include Times[1], Verdana or Tahoma.

    Also, did you really mean "Arial" on the first line?

    Currently my favourite fonts are "Trebuchet MS" and the Vera family.

    ---
    [1] I'm being picky, but "Times New Roman" != Times.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Feb 28, 2004
  6. While the city slept, Toby A Inkster <>
    feverishly typed:

    > Lars Hedström wrote:
    >
    >> I am looking for some heavy letters i want to use as initial letters.

    > 'g' is quite a light letter.
    > '£' is about 450 times heavier than 'g'.

    No it isn't. It's exactly 100 times heavier than 'p'

    Your thinking of 'lb' but as that is two letters, it will only be 225 'g's
    each.

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss.

    nice.guy.nige, Feb 28, 2004
  7. Lars Hedström

    SpaceGirl Guest

    "nice.guy.nige" <> wrote in message
    > While the city slept, Toby A Inkster <>
    > feverishly typed:
    >
    > > Lars Hedström wrote:
    > >
    > >> I am looking for some heavy letters i want to use as initial letters.

    > > 'g' is quite a light letter.
    > > '£' is about 450 times heavier than 'g'.

    > No it isn't. It's exactly 100 times heavier than 'p'
    >
    > Your thinking of 'lb' but as that is two letters, it will only be 225 'g's
    > each.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nige
    >
    > --
    > Nigel Moss.

    lol.

    SpaceGirl, Feb 28, 2004
  8. "SpaceGirl" <> wrote:

    > er...? In what. HTML?
    >
    > I guess Arial is the most striking of the web fonts you can use. All the

    No, I meant initial letters as gif-pictures, you can see what I mean here:

    http://www.zorn.se/engmain.htm

    The sentence starting with "This is the official ..."
    here "T" is an initial letter as gif-picture.

    Lars

    Lars Hedström, Feb 28, 2004
  9. "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote:

    > You can't even guarantee those. A fresh install of Windows 98 doesn't
    > include Times[1], Verdana or Tahoma.

    Well, I have win98 and I have definitely no problem with Verdana.

    Lars

    Lars Hedström, Feb 28, 2004
  10. Lars Hedström

    > "SpaceGirl" <> wrote:
    >

    > > er...? In what. HTML?
    > >
    > > I guess Arial is the most striking of the web fonts you can use. All the

    > No, I meant initial letters as gif-pictures, you can see what I mean here:
    >
    > http://www.zorn.se/engmain.htm
    >
    > The sentence starting with "This is the official ..."
    > here "T" is an initial letter as gif-picture.
    >

    > Lars

    In that case this is nothing to do with HTML. I suggest you repost your
    question over in alt.design.graphics - it's populated by designers from all
    fields who will be happy to advise.

    SpaceGirl, Feb 28, 2004
  11. Re: Letters (drop capitals)

    On 2004-02-28 22:16:23 +0100, "Lars Hedström" <> said:
    I am looking for some heavy letters i want to use as initial letters.

    > No, I meant initial letters as gif-pictures, you can see what I mean here:
    >
    > http://www.zorn.se/engmain.htm
    >
    > The sentence starting with "This is the official ..."
    > here "T" is an initial letter as gif-picture.

    Do a Google search with the expression "drop capital" (don't forget the
    quotes).
    Alternatively, make your own set with Photoshop.

    --
    François de Dardel
    http:/mapage.noos.fr/dardelf

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois_de_Dardel?=, Feb 28, 2004
  12. Lars Hedström wrote:

    > "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> You can't even guarantee those. A fresh install of Windows 98 doesn't
    >> include Times[1], Verdana or Tahoma.

    > Well, I have win98 and I have definitely no problem with Verdana.

    Note: I said a *fresh* install of Windows 98. If you've upgraded Internet
    Explorer (Win98 came with IE4), your installation is no longer fresh, and
    may now have Verdana.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Feb 29, 2004
  13. nice.guy.nige wrote:

    > No it isn't. [£ is] exactly 100 times heavier than 'p'

    I always find 100 'p's to be heavier than a single '£'.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Feb 29, 2004
  14. Lars Hedström

    Spartanicus Guest

    Toby A Inkster <> wrote:

    >>> You can't even guarantee those. A fresh install of Windows 98 doesn't
    >>> include Times[1], Verdana or Tahoma.

    >> Well, I have win98 and I have definitely no problem with Verdana.

    >Note: I said a *fresh* install of Windows 98. If you've upgraded Internet
    >Explorer (Win98 came with IE4), your installation is no longer fresh, and
    >may now have Verdana.

    Both Verdana and Tahoma are supplied with W98 (the original release),
    you'll find them in \win98\win98_47.cab\ on the cd.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Feb 29, 2004
  15. While the city slept, Toby A Inkster <>
    feverishly typed:

    > nice.guy.nige wrote:
    >
    >> No it isn't. [£ is] exactly 100 times heavier than 'p'

    > I always find 100 'p's to be heavier than a single '£'.

    Yes, but 100 'p's make 1 '£', so they weigh the same.

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss.