Libraries for JPEG resizing in Windows Environment

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Alex DeCaria, Feb 19, 2010.

  1. Alex DeCaria

    Alex DeCaria Guest

    I'd like an idea as to what other image processing libraries are
    available besides RMagick and MiniMagick. I'm currently successfully
    using RMagick with Ruby 1.8, and I've also been able to get MiniMagick
    working with Ruby 1.9, but the problem is that MiniMagick with Ruby 1.9
    doesn't seem to work on my 64-bit windows OS (it does on 32-bit though).

    I only need the library for one specific task. Reading in a .jpeg file
    and resizing it.

    Are there other libraries that I should consider trying and that might
    work on a 64-bit system? I see there is something called Camellia. Is
    that for Windows, or just Linux/Mac?

    I would really like to just use MiniMagick, but again, I can't seem to
    get the mini_magick gem to work on my 64-bit OS (it installs fine, but
    gives errors when it runs).

    Any ideas are most appreciated.

    --Alex
    Alex DeCaria, Feb 19, 2010

  2. Alex DeCaria

    Kyle Schmitt Guest

    Camellia is more image recognition/computer vision type stuff.

    If you're having trouble with RMagick/MiniMagick in 64 bit windows
    OSes, my guess is you need to install a more up-to-date 64bit build of
    ImageMagick or ImageScience. Check to make sure you have one of those
    installed first, then try your gem again.

    If it still doesn't work after you've installed ImageMagick or
    ImageScience, try using the convert.exe program that comes with them.
    You can always use ruby to shell out and run that program, if you
    can't get the gem to work inside of ruby. Not as clean or as nice,
    but workable for one-off situations.

    --Kyle

    On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 8:10 AM, Alex DeCaria
    <> wrote:
    > I'd like an idea as to what other image processing libraries are
    > available besides RMagick and MiniMagick. =C2=A0I'm currently successfull=

    > using RMagick with Ruby 1.8, and I've also been able to get MiniMagick
    > working with Ruby 1.9, but the problem is that MiniMagick with Ruby 1.9
    > doesn't seem to work on my 64-bit windows OS (it does on 32-bit though).
    >
    > I only need the library for one specific task. =C2=A0Reading in a .jpeg f=

    ile
    > and resizing it.
    >
    > Are there other libraries that I should consider trying and that might
    > work on a 64-bit system? =C2=A0I see there is something called Camellia. =

    =C2=A0Is

    Kyle Schmitt, Feb 19, 2010

  3. Alex DeCaria

    Alex DeCaria Guest

    Kyle Schmitt wrote:
    > Camellia is more image recognition/computer vision type stuff.
    >
    > If you're having trouble with RMagick/MiniMagick in 64 bit windows
    > OSes, my guess is you need to install a more up-to-date 64bit build of
    > ImageMagick or ImageScience. Check to make sure you have one of those
    > installed first, then try your gem again.
    >
    > If it still doesn't work after you've installed ImageMagick or
    > ImageScience, try using the convert.exe program that comes with them.
    > You can always use ruby to shell out and run that program, if you
    > can't get the gem to work inside of ruby. Not as clean or as nice,
    > but workable for one-off situations.
    >
    > --Kyle
    >
    > On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 8:10 AM, Alex DeCaria

    Thanks Kyle,

    What's odd though is RMagick with Ruby 1.8 does work on my 64-bit OS, so
    I think the version of ImageMagick I'm using is OK. Since there isn't
    an RMagick gem for Ruby 1.9 that's why I decided to try MiniMagick
    instead for 1.9. But, maybe it will be worth a try to get a 64-bit
    build of ImageMagick or ImageScience and see how that goes.

    I also like your suggestion of running the shell commmand outside of
    Ruby as a backup. I hadn't thought of that.

    --Alex
    Alex DeCaria, Feb 19, 2010