Libraries that need a new home

Daniel Berger

Hi,

As many of you know, Guy Decoux passed away last year. Consequently,
there are 5 libraries on the RAA that will need new homes:

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/search.rhtml?search=decoux

I talked to Erik Hollensbe about having the ruby-dbi project adopt the
pl-ruby library, and I think the bdb libraries, too (for a future dbd-
bdb).

Does that seem reasonable to everyone?

As for the mmap and bzip2 libraries, we'll need volunteers, preferably
someone who uses these libraries in practice. My own feeling is that
the CodeForPeople or Seattle.rb projects would be good homes. They're
sort of miscellaneous libraries, and I seem to recall that Ara Howard
was a heavy user of mmap, though obviously they can speak for
themselves.

I realize this may be a bit of a touchy subject, and I certainly mean
no disrespect to Guy or to any members of this list. I simply felt
this issue should be addressed.

Kind regards,

Dan

Tim Pease

Hi,

As many of you know, Guy Decoux passed away last year. Consequently,
there are 5 libraries on the RAA that will need new homes:

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/search.rhtml?search=decoux

I talked to Erik Hollensbe about having the ruby-dbi project adopt the
pl-ruby library, and I think the bdb libraries, too (for a future dbd-
bdb).

Does that seem reasonable to everyone?

As for the mmap and bzip2 libraries, we'll need volunteers, preferably
someone who uses these libraries in practice. My own feeling is that
the CodeForPeople or Seattle.rb projects would be good homes. They're
sort of miscellaneous libraries, and I seem to recall that Ara Howard
was a heavy user of mmap, though obviously they can speak for
themselves.

Ara and I had a conversation about this last month. I've adopted the
mmap project, and it will be hosted as a gem under the codeforpeople
moniker. Source code is out on Github.

http://github.com/TwP/mmap/tree/master
I realize this may be a bit of a touchy subject, and I certainly mean
no disrespect to Guy or to any members of this list. I simply felt
this issue should be addressed.

Guy is going to be sorely missed in the community. Thanks, Dan, for
taking the effort to keep his work alive.

Blessings,
TwP

Trans

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/search.rhtml?search=3Ddecoux

I talked to Erik Hollensbe about having the ruby-dbi project adopt the
pl-ruby library, and I think the bdb libraries, too (for a future dbd-
bdb).

Does that seem reasonable to everyone?

As for the mmap and bzip2 libraries, we'll need volunteers, preferably
someone who uses these libraries in practice. My own feeling is that
the CodeForPeople or Seattle.rb projects would be good homes. They're
sort of miscellaneous libraries, and I seem to recall that Ara Howard
was a heavy user of mmap, though obviously they can speak for
themselves.

I realize this may be a bit of a touchy subject, and I certainly mean
no disrespect to Guy or to any members of this list. I simply felt
this issue should be addressed.

If no one else wants to do it, I can maintain a project for the bzip2
lib.

T.

Daniel Berger

Trans said:
If no one else wants to do it, I can maintain a project for the bzip2
lib.

Please do. Where will you be hosting so people can find it?

Thanks,

Dan

Daniel Berger

Ara and I had a conversation about this last month. I've adopted the =A0
mmap project, and it will be hosted as a gem under the codeforpeople =A0
moniker. Source code is out on Github.

http://github.com/TwP/mmap/tree/master

Excellent, thanks.
Guyis going to be sorely missed in the community. Thanks, Dan, for =A0
taking the effort to keep his work alive.

You're welcome.

The pl-ruby library (0.5.3) is now hosted by the ruby-dbi team on
RubyForge. For now it's just the last .tar.gz file that Guy released.
There will eventually be a gem.

Regards,

Dan

SterlingLa