    filled-in data.

    This is possible in perl, but since we decided to implement that web
    application in RoR, I would prefer to do this with Ruby.

    Roman Hausner, May 17, 2007

  2. Roman Hausner

    Guest

    On May 17, 10:36 am, Roman Hausner <> wrote:
    > Is there a working library that lets me create files in MS Excel format?
    > OpenOffice calc would be good in addition, but the primary requirement
    > is that we can create excel documents on the fly, and on a non-Windows
    > platform. This should work by either filling an excel template or by
    > creating an excel file from scratch with all the required formatting and
    > filled-in data.
    >
    > This is possible in perl, but since we decided to implement that web
    > application in RoR, I would prefer to do this with Ruby.

    Here is a blog on using Ruby to access various Windows applications
    which includes information on MS Excel: http://rubyonwindows.blogspot.com/.
    Although the libraries discussed in this blog will probably not work
    on non-Windows platform. But I thought that it might be worth
    mentioning.

    , May 18, 2007

  3. Roman Hausner

    Charles Lowe Guest

    unknown wrote:
    > On May 17, 10:36 am, Roman Hausner <> wrote:
    >> --

    > Here is a blog on using Ruby to access various Windows applications
    > which includes information on MS Excel:
    > http://rubyonwindows.blogspot.com/.
    > Although the libraries discussed in this blog will probably not work
    > on non-Windows platform. But I thought that it might be worth
    > mentioning.

    - I think POI4R allows writing excel files (see
    http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/poi-ruby.html).
    - Or, you can just write open office calc files, which isn't too hard,
    and just convert them to excel using openoffice (i've done this in a
    ruby script before).
    - Or, you can try using my ruby-perl bridge, and just using the perl
    library in question (see http://code.google.com/p/ruby-perl/. latest
    version mightn't be up there, so ask if you need any help).

    Charles Lowe, May 19, 2007

    http://rubyforge.org/projects/energon/

    Michael Fellinger, May 20, 2007
  5. Roman Hausner