Lifcycle of a LoginModule

Brian J. Sayatovic

I'm trying to better understand the lifecycle of a JAAS LoginModule.
The impression I get from the documentation is that each time a
Subject needs to be authenticated, a new instance of each LoginModule
is created -- not a resuable shared instance. And while there seems
to be a provisions for shared state, I'm not sure that the shared
state is the place to place the state I want to share: an LDAP
connection.

Rather than making a new LDAP connection to look up username/password
information for verification, I'd like to have one connection that I
re-use. But if a LoginModule is only around during the authentication
of one subject, I'd have ot store that LDAP connection in the shared
state -- and figure out a way to clean it up.

Am I missing a piece of the puzzle?

Regards,
Brian.