    and drop (sortable) functionality.

    I am open to all suggestions. And thanks for any input.

    Diilbert

    Diilb, Feb 17, 2007

  2. Diilb

    Evertjan. Guest

    Diilb wrote on 18 feb 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > I am not sure if this is the place to post this. But I am looking for
    > a light weight drag and drop (sortable) library. I have looked around
    > and there are a few good libraries (Script.aculo.us & Dojo), but they
    > are a little heavy and involved considering I am just looking for drag
    > and drop (sortable) functionality.

    I don't understand what could be sortable about drag and drop, but look
    here:

    <http://www.hunlock.com/blogs/Javascript_Drag_and_Drop>

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Feb 17, 2007

  3. Diilb

    -Lost Guest

    "Evertjan." <> wrote in message
    > Diilb wrote on 18 feb 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
    >
    >> I am not sure if this is the place to post this. But I am looking for
    >> a light weight drag and drop (sortable) library. I have looked around
    >> and there are a few good libraries (Script.aculo.us & Dojo), but they
    >> are a little heavy and involved considering I am just looking for drag
    >> and drop (sortable) functionality.

    > I don't understand what could be sortable about drag and drop, but look
    > here:

    Perhaps the original poster was referring to its ability to reference the z-index by
    placing the currently selected object on top of other objects?

    -Lost

    -Lost, Feb 18, 2007
  4. Diilb

    -Lost Guest

    "Diilb" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am not sure if this is the place to post this. But I am looking for
    > a light weight drag and drop (sortable) library. I have looked around
    > and there are a few good libraries (Script.aculo.us & Dojo), but they
    > are a little heavy and involved considering I am just looking for drag
    > and drop (sortable) functionality.

    http://www.devpro.it/bytefx/#api

    ....is ridiculously simple to use. Look under bytefx API, fourth one down, 'drag.'

    -Lost

    -Lost, Feb 18, 2007
  5. On Feb 17, 3:20 pm, "Diilb" <> wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am not sure if this is the place to post this. But I am looking for
    > a light weight drag and drop (sortable) library. I have looked around
    > and there are a few good libraries (Script.aculo.us & Dojo), but they
    > are a little heavy and involved considering I am just looking for drag
    > and drop (sortable) functionality.
    >
    > I am open to all suggestions. And thanks for any input.
    >
    > Diilbert

    If you are interested in writing a bit of JavaScript yourself the Fork
    drag library is the most flexible and lightest I've seen. I'm biased
    because I wrote it but I think it worked out well.

    I haven't posted a sortable list example yet but I've made a few with
    different techniques. It depends on the situation how the specific
    code is written.

    Peter

    Peter Michaux, Feb 18, 2007
  6. Diilb

    Diilb Guest

    Just to clarify (sorry for any confusion) I am looking for something
    that can do something similar to:

    http://wiki.script.aculo.us/scriptaculous/page/print/SortableListsDemo

    Thanks for the suggestions ;)

    Diilb, Feb 18, 2007
  7. Diilb

    pcx99 Guest

    Peter Michaux wrote:
    > On Feb 17, 3:20 pm, "Diilb" <> wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I am not sure if this is the place to post this. But I am looking for
    >> a light weight drag and drop (sortable) library. I have looked around
    >> and there are a few good libraries (Script.aculo.us & Dojo), but they
    >> are a little heavy and involved considering I am just looking for drag
    >> and drop (sortable) functionality.
    >>
    >> I am open to all suggestions. And thanks for any input.
    >>
    >> Diilbert

    > If you are interested in writing a bit of JavaScript yourself the Fork
    > drag library is the most flexible and lightest I've seen. I'm biased
    > because I wrote it but I think it worked out well.

    > I haven't posted a sortable list example yet but I've made a few with
    > different techniques. It depends on the situation how the specific
    > code is written.
    >
    > Peter

    This is very nice. Definately a bookmark :)

    --
    http://www.hunlock.com -- Musings in Javascript, CSS.
    $FA

    pcx99, Feb 18, 2007
  8. Diilb

    pcx99 Guest

    Diilb wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am not sure if this is the place to post this. But I am looking for
    > a light weight drag and drop (sortable) library. I have looked around
    > and there are a few good libraries (Script.aculo.us & Dojo), but they
    > are a little heavy and involved considering I am just looking for drag
    > and drop (sortable) functionality.
    >
    > I am open to all suggestions. And thanks for any input.
    >
    > Diilbert

    I'm really to the point now where I no longer care (much) about the size
    of a javascript library so long as it's under 100k. Once you pass the
    source through Mr. Crockford's most excellent JSMin (
    http://javascript.crockford.com/jsmin.html ) and then set up a
    compression scheme either static (
    http://www.hunlock.com/blogs/Compressed_HTML_makes_your_pages_zippy ) or
    dynamic ( http://www.hunlock.com/blogs/Supercharged_Javascript ) even
    the largest javascript applications shrink down to under 20k which is
    perfectly acceptable.

    This may be an alternative for you if you can't find exactly what you're
    looking for.

    pcx99, Feb 18, 2007
  9. Diilb

    -Lost Guest

    "Diilb" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am not sure if this is the place to post this. But I am looking for
    > a light weight drag and drop (sortable) library. I have looked around
    > and there are a few good libraries (Script.aculo.us & Dojo), but they
    > are a little heavy and involved considering I am just looking for drag
    > and drop (sortable) functionality.

    http://www.harelmalka.com/jwm/

    Brings the selected objects ("windows" from DIVs in the above example) to the front,
    resting "above" others "below" it.

    -Lost

    -Lost, Feb 18, 2007
  10. Diilb

    Diilb Guest

    On Feb 17, 11:55 pm, pcx99 <> wrote:
    > Diilb wrote:
    > > Hi All,

    > > I am not sure if this is the place to post this. But I am looking for
    > > a light weight drag and drop (sortable) library. I have looked around
    > > and there are a few good libraries (Script.aculo.us & Dojo), but they
    > > are a little heavy and involved considering I am just looking for drag
    > > and drop (sortable) functionality.

    > > I am open to all suggestions. And thanks for any input.

    > > Diilbert

    > I'm really to the point now where I no longer care (much) about the size
    > of a javascript library so long as it's under 100k. Once you pass the
    > source through Mr. Crockford's most excellent JSMin (http://javascript.crockford.com/jsmin.html) and then set up a
    > compression scheme either static (http://www.hunlock.com/blogs/Compressed_HTML_makes_your_pages_zippy) or
    > dynamic (http://www.hunlock.com/blogs/Supercharged_Javascript) even
    > the largest javascript applications shrink down to under 20k which is
    > perfectly acceptable.
    >
    > This may be an alternative for you if you can't find exactly what you're
    > looking for.
    >
    > --http://www.hunlock.com-- Musings in Javascript, CSS.
    > $FA

    By the looks of it this may be my only option. (thanks) I have a
    little time I will wait a bit longer.

    Any library suggestions would be appreciated.

    Thanks again ;)

    Diilbert

    Diilb, Feb 18, 2007
  11. Diilb

    Evertjan. Guest

    -Lost wrote on 18 feb 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > "Evertjan." <> wrote in message
    >> Diilb wrote on 18 feb 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
    >>
    >>> I am not sure if this is the place to post this. But I am looking
    >>> for a light weight drag and drop (sortable) library. I have looked
    >>> around and there are a few good libraries (Script.aculo.us & Dojo),
    >>> but they are a little heavy and involved considering I am just
    >>> looking for drag and drop (sortable) functionality.

    >> I don't understand what could be sortable about drag and drop, but
    >> look here:

    > Perhaps the original poster was referring to its ability to reference
    > the z-index by placing the currently selected object on top of other
    > objects?

    Could well be.

    Usually I increment the z-index over all the others
    and don't bother with a theoretical overflow.

    Is there a maximum z-index value btw?

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Feb 18, 2007
  12. On Feb 18, 10:28 am, "Evertjan." <>
    wrote:
    > -Lost wrote on 18 feb 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
    >

    > > "Evertjan." <> wrote in message

    > >> I don't understand what could be sortable about drag and drop, but
    > >> look here:

    > > Perhaps the original poster was referring to its ability to reference
    > > the z-index by placing the currently selected object on top of other
    > > objects?

    > Could well be.
    >
    > Usually I increment the z-index over all the others
    > and don't bother with a theoretical overflow.
    >
    > Is there a maximum z-index value btw?

    I asked the same one time somewhere. I didn't get an answer based on
    standards. The answer I did get was ridiculously high. Google maps
    uses something like up to a trillion for those little bubbles that
    show where things are located.

    Peter

    Peter Michaux, Feb 18, 2007
  13. Diilb

    Diilb Guest

    On Feb 18, 2:37 pm, "Peter Michaux" <> wrote:
    > On Feb 18, 10:28 am, "Evertjan." <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > > -Lost wrote on 18 feb 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > > > "Evertjan." <> wrote in message

    > > > Perhaps the original poster was referring to its ability to reference
    > > > the z-index by placing the currently selected object on top of other
    > > > objects?

    > > Could well be.

    > > Usually I increment the z-index over all the others
    > > and don't bother with a theoretical overflow.

    > > Is there a maximum z-index value btw?

    > I asked the same one time somewhere. I didn't get an answer based on
    > standards. The answer I did get was ridiculously high. Google maps
    > uses something like up to a trillion for those little bubbles that
    > show where things are located.
    >
    > Peter

    Does anyone else have ideas on this one ? (a light weight drag and
    drop lib? )

    Thanks again for all the responses :)

    Diilbert

    Diilb, Feb 18, 2007
  14. Diilb

    VK Guest

    > > Is there a maximum z-index value btw?
    >
    > I asked the same one time somewhere. I didn't get an answer based on
    > standards. The answer I did get was ridiculously high. Google maps
    > uses something like up to a trillion for those little bubbles that
    > show where things are located.

    For ECMAScript version of ActionScript the limit is 10487575 - after
    that DOM methods are getting dizzy.

    For JScript the display doesn't react on z-index difference for values
    above the standard uint precision border of 0xFFFFFFFF (4294967295)
    but it neither works for lower values like 4294967290
    At the same time it still reacts on values above sint (2147483647)
    That suggests that like in ActionScript the limit is not based on some
    physical borders but was just off-head chosen by the particular UA
    team.

    VK, Feb 18, 2007
  15. Diilb

    Evertjan. Guest

    VK wrote on 18 feb 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:

    >> > Is there a maximum z-index value btw?

    >> I asked the same one time somewhere. I didn't get an answer based on
    >> standards. The answer I did get was ridiculously high. Google maps
    >> uses something like up to a trillion for those little bubbles that
    >> show where things are located.

    > For ECMAScript version of ActionScript the limit is 10487575 - after
    > that DOM methods are getting dizzy.
    >
    > For JScript the display doesn't react on z-index difference for values
    > above the standard uint precision border of 0xFFFFFFFF (4294967295)
    > but it neither works for lower values like 4294967290
    > At the same time it still reacts on values above sint (2147483647)
    > That suggests that like in ActionScript the limit is not based on some
    > physical borders but was just off-head chosen by the particular UA
    > team.

    Why would it act on scripts?

    This is DOM and CSS, not scripting, methinks, so IE and FF.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Feb 18, 2007
  16. Diilb

    Randy Webb Guest

    Evertjan. said the following on 2/18/2007 5:41 PM:

    <snip>

    > Why would it act on scripts?
    >
    > This is DOM and CSS, not scripting, methinks,

    True.

    > so IE and FF.

    And not Opera, Mozilla, Netscape, Safari or any other browser?

    --
    Randy
    Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

    Randy Webb, Feb 18, 2007
  17. Diilb

    Evertjan. Guest

    Randy Webb wrote on 18 feb 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > Evertjan. said the following on 2/18/2007 5:41 PM:
    >
    > <snip>
    >

    >> Why would it act on scripts?
    >>
    >> This is DOM and CSS, not scripting, methinks,

    > True.
    >
    >> so IE and FF.

    > And not Opera, Mozilla, Netscape, Safari or any other browser?

    True, but not scripting, I think.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Feb 18, 2007
  18. Diilb

    the DtTvB Guest

    On Feb 18, 6:20 am, "Diilb" <> wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am not sure if this is the place to post this. But I am looking for
    > a light weight drag and drop (sortable) library. I have looked around
    > and there are a few good libraries (Script.aculo.us & Dojo), but they
    > are a little heavy and involved considering I am just looking for drag
    > and drop (sortable) functionality.
    >
    > I am open to all suggestions. And thanks for any input.
    >
    > Diilbert

    I made a simple one here, if this is what you want and in case you
    want to use it:
    http://dttvb.yi.org/draggablelist/

    the DtTvB
    ..

    the DtTvB, Feb 21, 2007
  19. Diilb

    -Lost Guest

    "the DtTvB" <> wrote in message
    > On Feb 18, 6:20 am, "Diilb" <> wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I am not sure if this is the place to post this. But I am looking for
    >> a light weight drag and drop (sortable) library. I have looked around
    >> and there are a few good libraries (Script.aculo.us & Dojo), but they
    >> are a little heavy and involved considering I am just looking for drag
    >> and drop (sortable) functionality.
    >>
    >> I am open to all suggestions. And thanks for any input.

    > I made a simple one here, if this is what you want and in case you
    > want to use it:
    > http://dttvb.yi.org/draggablelist/

    Your JavaScript fails miserably when the LIs have a display type of "inline." Better yet,
    it is unreliable.

    As it also retains the single-click moves an LI's position. Was that intentional?

    -Lost

    -Lost, Feb 22, 2007