Link not shown in "visited" color after clicking

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Chad, May 18, 2006.

  1. Chad

    Chad Guest

    Should links automatically appear in the "visited" color as defined by the
    user's IE settings without having to add any special coding?

    I have a situation where the link was not changing color until I added the
    following style:

    .vl:visited{color:#808080;}

    And then referenced this style in my Anchor:

    <a class="vl"
    href="http://useaihp280:8080/espweb/servlet/espweb.servlets.BypassServlet?screen=2&server=ih152.ea.unisys.com&port=5002&user=Web3&datagroup=cain&key1=156300"
    target="_blank">

    However, if the target attribute is set to "_blank" (to get the results to
    open in a new window, the next time the parent web page is refreshed/rebuilt
    from the database (such as hitting the refresh button), IE does not
    consistantly display visited links in teh visited color!

    If I removed the "target=blank" attribute to open in the same window, IE
    keeps track just fine.

    Note that my local settings indicate to retain history for 7 days.

    Note that the anchor is constructed using server sided script. what you see
    above is the resulting generated html. The only thing that changes on the
    hyperlink from row to row (there is one hyperlinkj per row in a table) is
    the number added to the and of the query string which matches the link's
    text property.

    Why would IE keep track of some of these links and not others if they are
    all built from the same line of server sided code?

    Why is it necessary to use the vl.visited class style at all? In fact, this
    overrides my local IE colors! Shouldn't IE keep track of whether I visited a
    link without me having to do anything more than create the anchor tag? The
    style class that I add should be, i feel, used only if I want to override
    the user's IE color selection.

    Where I am going wrong?

    Many thanks for making it all the way to the end of this post!

    Chad
    Chad, May 18, 2006

  2. Chad

    Mike Brind Guest

    Chad wrote:
    > Should links automatically appear in the "visited" color as defined by the
    > user's IE settings without having to add any special coding?

    This is most definitely NOT a post that has anything to do with ASP
    whatsoever.

    Try an html, css or browser newsgroup.

    --
    Mike Brind
    Mike Brind, May 18, 2006

  3. Chad

    Chad Guest

    I am experiencing the problem in an ASP application which generates the
    hyperlink, its just that I have simplified the problem for you by showing
    you that the problem exists in the underlying HTML or browser. Since the
    "HTML" newsgroiup is all but dead, i figured the ASP people certainly have
    to deal with HTML every day to write their apps, and ASP really "includes"
    HTML.

    I also realize that if I want to add additional info to respond to myself,
    but too often when I do that people monitoring the newgroup will disregard
    postings that have replies-even if the really if from the original
    poster-hence my choice to put a new positing. See-you related the tow. I
    knew ya would. I had faith.

    If you don't know the answer, that's OK.

    My diagnosius is that I.E. sucks for many reasons, this bug included.

    Firefox works just fine.

    Chad, May 18, 2006
  4. Chad

    Mike Brind Guest

    comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html is hardly "dead".

    i figured the ASP people certainly have
    > to deal with HTML every day to write their apps, and ASP really "includes"
    > HTML.
    >
    > I also realize that if I want to add additional info to respond to myself,
    > but too often when I do that people monitoring the newgroup will disregard
    > postings that have replies-even if the really if from the original
    > poster-hence my choice to put a new positing. See-you related the tow. I
    > knew ya would. I had faith.

    You are wrong in your assertion that people only ever read un-answered
    posts.

    > If you don't know the answer, that's OK.

    Nice attempt to flame.

    > My diagnosius is that I.E. sucks for many reasons, this bug included.

    So you know have an answer to your question then.

    Mike Brind, May 18, 2006
  5. Chad wrote:
    > I am experiencing the problem in an ASP application which generates
    > the hyperlink,

    Irrelevant. You could be asking the same question about a page that had a
    ..htm extension.

    ASP is server-side technology.. All it does is process data sent from a
    client in a Request and generate html to be sent to the client via Response.
    What happens at the client is out of scope.

    Newsgroups are focussed on narrow topics for a reason. you will be more
    likely to receive a quick and correct answer in one of the groups devoted to
    this type of question.
    http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?sel=33584039

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], May 18, 2006
  6. Chad

    Chad Guest

    Chad, May 19, 2006
  7. Chad

    Chad Guest

    I assume that you guys get annoyed at posters breaking protocol regardless
    of the reason.

    I hope the MVPs at the HTML groups that you referred me to won't get worked
    up when I post my problem there as you suggested, especially since I
    mentioned that it works in Firefox.

    Perhaps the MVPs there will say things like "IRRELEVANT! or ....This has
    NOTHING to do with html WHATSOEVER! You should be posting on a Internet
    Explorer group!"

    Chad, May 19, 2006
  8. Chad

    Mike Brind Guest

    People post in the wrong group normally because they don't know the
    right group. It happens often. They usually receive replies pointing
    that out and suggesting alternative groups. Bob has already explained
    why in a very reasonable manner. You have interpreted the replies you
    have received as people "getting worked up". That's your perception.
    I would suggest it is incorrect. You have emphasised words below by
    using capitals that weren't capitalised in the original replies you
    received. That suggests you are the one getting "worked up" here.

    Honestly, I don't know why you are persisting with this thread, Chad.
    Surely you want to resolve your problem? You seem to have isolated it
    to an IE specific problem, so why don't you go with the first
    suggestion I made and try a browser group?

    Oh, and btw, HMTL is not a proprietry Microsoft technology, so there
    are are no html MVPs. There are for IE, and I'm pretty certain they
    will be happy to try to answer your question. This is their area of
    expertise, after all.

    Try this group: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser

    --
    Mike Brind

    Mike Brind, May 19, 2006
  9. Chad