Link Submit Ideas

Jeff North

| Dag,
|
| I need to cause a form to submit and I need many links such as
|
| 234 Anaheim CA click_link_to_submit moredata
| 353 Anaheim MO click_link_to_submit moredata
| 767 Anaheim NJ click_link_to_submit moredata
| 345 Anaheim NY click_link_to_submit moredata
| 565 Anaheim BC click_link_to_submit moredata
| 564 Anaheim WA click_link_to_submit moredata
|
| Each line has user entered data that needs to be submitted and captured
| therefore the submit. I would just use a normal link but I need the user
| entered data on OTHER lines to be captured also so I can later restore the
| state of the page.
|
| Mica
| PS. This is a corporate subscription site so all users are required to have
| JS on so no problems for non-JS.

You don't really need a form.
On the 'click_link_to_submit' just put the proposed code into the a
href tag. The first entry would look like:

Randy Webb

Mica Cooper said the following on 7/1/2006 9:28 PM:
Is calling someone stupid by Randy Webb condoned then?

Randy Webb-No, you just think you do.

That's not calling you stupid, that is showing a flaw in your reasoning.
Because thats what he did! I did not make a mistake in my statement.

While you may or may not have made a mistake in your statement, you
still have not explained what it is you are trying to do. And that is
with at least 3 people asking you to clarify what it is you are wanting
to do.
I need to pass info in a js submit.

There is no "js submit". And your problem can actually be solved without
using JS at all.
I suspected this was not a common thing so I turned to the newsgroup.

It is quite common actually if I am guessing the scenario properly.
What I got was rudeness, judgement, and general ill manners.

You got none of that until you warranted it.
I am not a newbie or a student and have been using newsgroups for
over 10 years. Read the posts. You are lecturing the wrong person.

Then why do people keep having to ask you to further clarify what you
are trying to do?
I guess this can't be done by anyone here.

You are entitled to your opinion, however wrong it may be.
Instead of creative help, I got dumped on.

More of your self induced mis-guided delusions?
I didn't want to create dynamic buttons tied to hidden data but
it will work even if its ugly.

Nobody said anything about "dynamic buttons tied to hidden data". At
least I didn't and I can solve your problem in at least 3 different ways
if your problem is what I believe it to be but to date you have not
fully clarified what it is your "problem" is.

Mica Cooper

Randy,

That is what I need. I have stated my need and it seemed clear (to me). I
need to let the user modify text fields of an entire form, click a link, pop
up a page, fill and submit that page, then return to the parent page with
all of the user data.

I will make the button appear to look like a link with CSS.

I don't know why this was so hard to communicate except that perhaps this is
just not a common thing to do and everyone assumed I didn't really need to
do this. I have never seen a submit in this fashion so had no clue as to how
or if it could be done. I am a Java server side guy...not client.

Thank You,
I'm off to try it out.
Mica

Randy Webb

Mica Cooper said the following on 7/5/2006 4:18 PM:
Randy,

That is what I need. I have stated my need and it seemed clear (to me).

What is clear to you is not always clear to the reader. And at least 3
readers said it wasn't clear to them (myself included).
I need to let the user modify text fields of an entire form, click a link, pop
up a page, fill and submit that page, then return to the parent page with
all of the user data.

I have to ask the question of "Why?" when you say you have to use a
popup. But that is another question all together.
I will make the button appear to look like a link with CSS.

Why? Users are used to buttons, know what buttons do, and expect links
to do something differently. Especially if the button says "Modify this
record" or something similar.
I don't know why this was so hard to communicate except that perhaps this is
just not a common thing to do and everyone assumed I didn't really need to
do this.

It is not uncommon. What was uncommon was your explanation.

Mica Cooper

See,
your comment :
Why? Users are used to buttons, know what buttons do, and expect links to
do something differently. Especially if the button says "Modify this
record" or something similar.

Is typical of the problem. You haven't set in endless meetings, met with
users, run thru requirements, etc yet you feel fully qualified to judge. Why
is it so hard to accept a stated requirement?

In this case, the users in a form, click one of multiple links to go to a
subform and fill out information regarding that link, submit, and return to
the original form without losing any data. The links are currently links and
the company does not want the confusion of presenting a change to them of
buttons. Changing the style to look like a link solves that issue.

You seem to want to argue the requirements and not help resolve the problem.
I know people submit idiot stuff and newbies try to get homework done. That
does not mean an assumption should be made about everyone here. People
should be able to state a problem without having to justify the problem.
That is my issue! I don't need to justify this to anyone except the ones who
made the requirements.

Mica

Randy Webb

Mica Cooper said the following on 7/6/2006 10:46 AM:
See,
your comment :

Is typical of the problem.

No, it is typical of the solution.
You haven't set in endless meetings, met with users, run thru requirements,
etc yet you feel fully qualified to judge.

I haven't? I sit in a meeting every Monday morning that lasts a minimum
of 4 hours and listen to the very whining that you are doing now. The
difference is I know how to tell them why what they want is wrong and
can be done better and/or simpler. And WHY it is better and/or simpler.
The fact that you lack that doesn't change my opinions.
Why is it so hard to accept a stated requirement?

I didn't reject it. I said it was a dumb requirement. You want links?
Use links.
In this case, the users in a form, click one of multiple links to go to a
subform and fill out information regarding that link, submit, and return to
the original form without losing any data. The links are currently links and
the company does not want the confusion of presenting a change to them of
buttons. Changing the style to look like a link solves that issue.

See? You give information after the fact that might have changed what I
said. And then you call me judgmental. Nice.
You seem to want to argue the requirements and not help resolve the problem.

I didn't argue the requirements at all. I said there was a better
alternative *before* you gave the requirements. Hard to argue with
something I don't know.
I know people submit idiot stuff and newbies try to get homework done.

Tis true, but Summer is here so no students.

That does not mean an assumption should be made about everyone here.

True, but this is Usenet, not a help desk. You post (It doesn't even
have to be a question), it gets discussed. IF you get an answer, great.
If you don't, you move on.
People should be able to state a problem without having to justify the problem.

When the problem is part of the solution, sure they can.
That is my issue! I don't need to justify this to anyone except the ones who
made the requirements.

I never said differently.