link xsl to xml file

andy

I know u can link an xml file to an xsl file by putting a stylesheet
declaration in the xml file.

Is there a way to do the opposite ?, is there a declaration I can put in
the xsl file that means I can browse to it as if I was browsing the xml
file with a stylesheet declaration ?.

any help appreciated.

Martin Honnen

andy said:
I know u can link an xml file to an xsl file by putting a stylesheet
declaration in the xml file.

Is there a way to do the opposite ?, is there a declaration I can put in
the xsl file that means I can browse to it as if I was browsing the xml
file with a stylesheet declaration ?.

I don't think so.

Peter Flynn

andy said:
I know u can link an xml file to an xsl file by putting a stylesheet
declaration in the xml file.

Is there a way to do the opposite ?, is there a declaration I can put in
the xsl file that means I can browse to it as if I was browsing the xml
file with a stylesheet declaration ?.

When you say "browse to it" do you mean with a web browser, retrieving
via HTTP, or with a file browser (aka directory manager like My
Computer) which just looks at files on a local or shared disk?

If you are using XSLT2, it might be possible to open the stylesheet and
have a document() XPath call at the top level which would open the
required document.

It's also possible to simulate this kind of action using an XML server
like Cocoon.

I'm interested to know why you want to do it this way, though.

///Peter

Stanimir Stamenkov

Sun, 27 Jul 2008 10:28:08 +0100, /andy/:
I know u can link an xml file to an xsl file by putting a stylesheet
declaration in the xml file.

Is there a way to do the opposite ?, is there a declaration I can put in
the xsl file that means I can browse to it as if I was browsing the xml
file with a stylesheet declaration ?.

I thnink it should be possible using XInclude [1]:

-----proxy.xml
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?xml-stylesheet href="sheet.xsl" type="application/xml"?>
<xi:include xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude"
href="original.xml"/>
-----proxy.xml--

But I don't think browsers support it.