LinkButton in Repeater control

Peter Larsen [CPH]

Hi,

The following sample shows a LinkButton in the HeaderTemplate of a Repeater
control.

The problem is that i'm not able to access the linkbutton in code (in the cs
file) as long as the linkbutton stays in the
repeater control - see the following line:
testLink.CommandArgument = "just testing"; or testLink.Text = "Some new
text";

How do i dynamically change the properties of the LinkButton in runtime ??

Thank you in advance.
BR
Peter

Sample code:

<asp:Repeater id="dataRepeater" runat="server">
<HeaderTemplate>
Header data
<asp:LinkButton
ID="testLink"
runat="server"
OnClick="testfunc"
Text="hit me">
</asp:LinkButton>
</HeaderTemplate>
<ItemTemplate>

Lloyd Sheen

Peter said:
[...]

You want to handle the ItemDataBound event for dataRepeater.

In the event handler check e.Item.ItemType and when it is Header you can
do a e.Item.FindControl("testLink") to get a reference to the
LinkButton. From there change what you need.

Hope this helps
LS

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Peter,

As other member suggested, you can register the "ItemCreated" event of
Repeater control and then use "FindControl" to locate the linkbutton. Here
is a complete example (with aspx and codebehind) which demonstrate this:

============aspx =================
<form id="form1" runat="server">

<asp:Repeater id="dataRepeater" runat="server"
onitemcreated="dataRepeater_ItemCreated">
<HeaderTemplate>
Header data
<asp:LinkButton
ID="testLink"
runat="server"

Text="hit me">
</asp:LinkButton>
</HeaderTemplate>
<ItemTemplate>
</ItemTemplate>
<FooterTemplate>
</FooterTemplate>

</asp:Repeater>

</form>

==============code behind=============
public partial class RepeaterPage : System.Web.UI.Page
if (!IsPostBack)
{
string[] items = new string[] { "aaa", "bbb", "ccc", "ddd" };

dataRepeater.DataSource = items;
dataRepeater.DataBind();
protected void dataRepeater_ItemCreated(object sender,
RepeaterItemEventArgs e)
{
if (e.Item.ItemType == ListItemType.Header)
{
LinkButton lbtn = e.Item.FindControl("testLink") as LinkButton;

if (lbtn != null)
{
lbtn.CommandName = "Display"; lbtn.CommandArgument =
"argument";
lbtn.Click += delegate
{
Response.Write("<br/>LinkButton clicked");
};

==========================

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,