Linking Dropdowns - a sort of filter

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by TdJ, Nov 11, 2003.

  1. TdJ

    TdJ Guest

    Hi all,

    I have a form with a submit button, multiple text input fields, and two drop
    down lists: BusinessAreaList and UserList, I populate these lists from the
    database, stick them in my application state, then when the form is called I
    bind the controls using:

    _userListBox.DataSource = ApplicationState.UserDesc ;
    _userListBox.DataBind();

    and similar for business area. Currently the selection in each drop down is
    maintained because the indexes of each list is linked to the other one.

    _userListBox.LinkIndexTo(_businessAreaListBox);
    _businessAreaListBox.LinkIndexTo(_userListBox);

    However the number of users has grown signifcantly, and so I want to change
    this to enable a user to filter the selection in the userlist by selecting a
    business area, this would result in only users for the chosen business area
    being displayed in the user drop down.

    My first concern is that this will need a server round trip, which I can not
    have because the user may have already entered data into other fields on the
    form.

    My second concern is that the server has not knowledge of that the
    SelectedID until the Submit button is chosen.

    Can anyone with more experience in c# .net (that'll be almost all of you)
    give me some pointers, or at least point out how to approach this.

    rgds

    Tom
    TdJ, Nov 11, 2003