Linking problem

DJ.precario

Hi everyone,

I am having a linking problem, and I'd appreciate any help with this.
The code showing the problem:

class base {
public:
virtual void f(int);
};

#include <iostream>
#include "base.h"
using namespace std;
class derived : public base
{
public:
derived() { cout << "Object of the class derived created\n"; };
virtual void f(int);
};

#include <iostream>
#include "derived.h"
using namespace std;
void derived::f(int numb)
{
cout << "number received is: " << numb << endl;
}

#include <iostream>
#include "derived.h"
#include "base.h"
using namespace std;
int main()
{
base *b;
b = new derived;
int numb = 33;
b->f(numb);
delete b;
return 0;
}

I get this linker error:
Linking...
main.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual
void __thiscall base::f(int)" (?f@base@@UAEXH@Z)
..\Debug/Tests.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals

Can anyone give me a pointer towards what's happening? (I am using
Visual Studio .NET 2003)

Karl Heinz Buchegger

I get this linker error:
Linking...
main.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual
void __thiscall base::f(int)" (?f@base@@UAEXH@Z)
.\Debug/Tests.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals

Can anyone give me a pointer towards what's happening? (I am using
Visual Studio .NET 2003)

As the linker tells you:
There is no implementation of the function base::f

That is f() in the class named 'base' !

Ron Natalie

I get this linker error:
Linking...
main.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual
void __thiscall base::f(int)" (?f@base@@UAEXH@Z)
.\Debug/Tests.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
You don't define base::f(int) as the compielr notes. You "use"
base::f(int) in main() even though it eventually resolves to
a derived call. You can either define it or make base::f(int)
pure virtual.

DJ.precario

My aim was to do base pure virtual, i.e. without an implementation, and
then use the implementation in the derived class, but I'm afraid that I
haven't learnt how to do that yet. Any help?

Thanks

Victor Bazarov

My aim was to do base pure virtual, i.e. without an implementation, and
then use the implementation in the derived class, but I'm afraid that I
haven't learnt how to do that yet. Any help?

To declare a virtual function pure, you need the "= 0" right before
the semicolon that closes the declaration statement:

class Foo {
virtual void purefunction() = 0;
};

Now you don't have to provide its definition (unless it's used).