LinkLocal Address ( InetAddress.getByName throws UnknownHostException )

saggar

Hi,

I used the following code to create a InetAddress from lilnklocal
address ( returned by getifaddrs function).
try{
InetAddress add =
InetAddress.getByName("fe80::216:3eff:fe38:74e8%eth0");
}
catch(UnknownHostException uhe){
System.out.println("Caught unknownhost exception ");
System.out.println("Message: "+uhe.getMessage());
uhe.printStackTrace();
}

But it fails with the following message.

java.net.UnknownHostException: no scope_id found
at java.net.Inet6Address.deriveNumericScope(Inet6Address.java:
358)
at java.net.Inet6Address.initif(Inet6Address.java:321)
at java.net.Inet6Address.initstr(Inet6Address.java:306)
at java.net.Inet6Address.<init>(Inet6Address.java:232)
at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName(InetAddress.java:1062)
at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName(InetAddress.java:1009)
at java.net.InetAddress.getByName(InetAddress.java:959)

What could be the possible reasons for it ? Is it specific to JDK
version ?

-Sunil

Lewis Bloch

[...]

The error message is quite clear - the DNS does not recognize the host
name. What you passed to the call really doesn't look like a host
name, so that seems unsurprising.

lewbloch

The error message is quite clear - the DNS does not recognize the host
name.  What you passed to the call really doesn't look like a host
name, so that seems unsurprising.

Oops. I should follow my own advice and check Javadocs first. Sorry.

It doesn't look specific to the JDK - the error says that the scope ID
was not found. The scope ID is "eth0", which implies that that
interface was not available on the target system at run time.