    I would like know if Python 2.4.3 will be compatible with Linux RHEL 5.5 or 6.1?

    Thanks
    Tony
    EDI Support, Nov 19, 2012

  2. On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 08:44:37 -0800 (PST), EDI Support
    <> declaimed the following in
    gmane.comp.python.general:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I would like know if Python 2.4.3 will be compatible with Linux RHEL 5.5 or 6.1?

    Uhm...

    1) Python 2.4.x is practically an antique. (I just updated my Windows
    machines to 2.7 from 2.5 -- and 2.7 will be the last 2.x version)

    2) Python itself is essentially OS agnostic, the Linux/UNIX variations
    tend to come in source code form and require building on the target
    architecture (since practically no one has build environment on Windows,
    except software developers, Windows Python tends to be in pre-built
    binaries). You are perfectly free to build a "user" version on the OS

    3) RedHat controls what version of Python is the system installed
    version -- typically one doesn't want to replace that as it may produce
    incompatibilities with system tools. Instead one builds an alternate
    Python and puts that version into the user PATH ahead of the system
    version.

    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
    Dennis Lee Bieber, Nov 19, 2012

  3. On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 08:44:37 -0800, EDI Support wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I would like know if Python 2.4.3 will be compatible with Linux RHEL
    > 5.5 or 6.1?

    I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be, but why would you want to use
    Python 2.4 in production if you don't have to? RHEL will come with Python
    already installed, I believe it is Python 2.6.

    It is *much* better to use Python 2.6 if you can: it is faster, has fewer
    bugs, and more modern features.

    But if you must use Python 2.4, make sure that you do NOT replace the
    system Python already installed. If installing from source, use "make
    altinstall" instead of "make install" to ensure that it doesn't overwrite
    the system Python.

    --
    Steven
    Steven D'Aprano, Nov 20, 2012
  4. EDI Support

    EDI Support Guest

    On Monday, November 19, 2012 11:44:37 AM UTC-5, EDI Support wrote:
    > Hi All, I would like know if Python 2.4.3 will be compatible with Linux RHEL 5.5 or 6.1? Thanks Tony

    Thanks everyone for your replies. To clarify, We would like to run a Proof of concept - that our current version 2.4.3 will run without any application or OS issues on RHEL 6.1.
    EDI Support, Nov 20, 2012