Linux, extracing symbol table to read core dump

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Johannes Bauer, Nov 8, 2007.

  1. Hi,

    I don't think it's quite on-topic here, but neither in in
    comp.os.linux.development.system - so here it goes anyways.

    I'm debugging code which is in use on many remote systems. The code is
    available in source and always compiled at the target's system. Every
    now and then it crashes, giving me a core dump.

    Here's the problem: Even though I'm sent the binary file (including
    debugging symbols, of course) and the core file, I cannot debug symbols
    in the C library. Obviously, they are very different on my system. So
    how can one get that done?

    Greetings,
    Johannes

    --
    "PS: Ein Realname wäre nett. Ich selbst nutze nur keinen, weil mich die
    meisten hier bereits mit Namen kennen." -- Markus Gronotte aka "Makus"

    Johannes Bauer, Nov 8, 2007

  2. Johannes Bauer

    Brian Szmyd Guest

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 15:00:10 +0100, Johannes Bauer wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I don't think it's quite on-topic here, but neither in in
    > comp.os.linux.development.system - so here it goes anyways.
    >
    > I'm debugging code which is in use on many remote systems. The code is
    > available in source and always compiled at the target's system. Every
    > now and then it crashes, giving me a core dump.
    >
    > Here's the problem: Even though I'm sent the binary file (including
    > debugging symbols, of course) and the core file, I cannot debug symbols
    > in the C library. Obviously, they are very different on my system. So
    > how can one get that done?
    >
    > Greetings,
    > Johannes

    try comp.unix.programmer