List rotation

Dennis Lee Bieber

Thankyou for your code. Key transposition is what I was after. I appreciate
it.
As I stated, you'll have to extend the "scales" to map the
accidentals, since I'm sure there are pieces that make use of them
regardless of the key... (especially as, once a key signature is marked,
the notes, properly, don't show the accidentals /in/ that key).

And, I suspect, in your attempt not to confuse folks with the
intricacies of music, you only ended up causing confusion. If you'd
started with "musical key transposition" you'd have filtered out those
they knew what you meant. Instead you had to put up with a day or so of
"stack rolling" (HP RPN calculator terminology) and character cycling
(as in "IBM" => "HAL" <G>)

Dennis Lee Bieber

go to bed. Excellent stuff, just what was needed : )

Can I ask are you writing a python music app? Just curious, as there doesn't
seem to be many around.
No... 'Twas just boredom at work (I have a Software Design
Description due in 1.5 weeks -- but it is practically complete already),
so I spent an hour after, seeing the mention of music transposition,
trying to create a quick&dirty form. I don't have posting rights from
Google, so you had to wait for me to get home and to my regular Usenet
access.

Some day I may be awake enough to relearn the Mandolin (haven't
had time to take it out my closet in two years). I know just enough
music theory to be dangerous, but not enough to be effective <G> Tenor
Banjo is "CGDA" and Mandolin is "GDEA", so those two gave me the
starting pattern for the #s... Somehow I stumbled on the bs... Hope I
got them all.

{Not only is the SDD practically finished, but out of boredom I also
prototyped that assignment in GNAT on my office desktop machine...
Windows has a problem in that "Get_Immediate(file...)" ignores the
"file" and reads the keyboard -- but if I can build the same code on the
target Sun/Solaris machine, the coding may be complete already also --
schedule is for December <G>}