list to table

jay

Hi All,

Am new to using newgroup for help, but have exhausted my searching
online for a solution

I have a long list of data of associations between values with a value
to that association as follows..

(var) to (var) = (var) hits
A B 1
B A 1
A B 3
B A 3
A C 7
C A 2

And need to build a table as follows that accumulates the above:

row is (from)
column is (to)

A B C
A 0 4 7
B 4 0 0
C 2 0 0

Just can't seam to figure out how to manage this programatically.

Any help or guidance much appreciated !!!

Cheers,

Jay

Alf P. Steinbach

* jay:
I have a long list of data of associations between values with a value
to that association as follows..

(var) to (var) = (var) hits
A B 1
B A 1
A B 3
B A 3
A C 7
C A 2

And need to build a table as follows that accumulates the above:

row is (from)
column is (to)

A B C
A 0 4 7
B 4 0 0
C 2 0 0

Just can't seam to figure out how to manage this programatically.

You're not very clear on what A, B and C are. Assuming that they're constants
that denote unique values you can do something like

<code>
table = dict()
for k1, k2, n in list:
position = (k1, k2)
if position not in table:
table[position] = n
else:
table[position] += n
</code>

Disclaimer: I'm a Python newbie so there may be some much easier way...

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf

Jon Clements

* jay:

[...]

I read the OP as homework (I'm thinking Scott did as well), however,
your code would be much nicer re-written using collections.defaultdict
(int)... which I don't think is giving anything away...

However, the challenge of making it 'tabular' or whatever the
requirement of 'table' is, is still there.

Jon.

Alf P. Steinbach

* Jon Clements:
I read the OP as homework (I'm thinking Scott did as well),

Sorry. Need to recalibrate that neural network. Back-propagation initiated...
Done! :)

however,
your code would be much nicer re-written using collections.defaultdict
(int)... which I don't think is giving anything away...

Thanks!

This sent me searching everywhere, because the documentation of '+=' and other
"augmented assignment statements" says

"The target is only evaluated once.",

like in C++, which implies a kind of reference to mutable object.

I couldn't immediately see how subscription could apparently return a reference
to mutable int object in Python in a way so that it worked transparently (the
idiom in C++).

However, it worked to replace collections.defaultdict with a class overriding
__getitem__ and __setitem__, so I guess that's how it works, that in this case
'+=' is simply translated like 'x += n' -> 'temp = x; x = temp + n'.

Is this a correct understanding, and if so, what exactly does the documentation
mean for the general case?

E.g.

def foo():
print( "foo" )
d = dict(); d[43] = 666
return d

def bar():
print( "bar" )
return 43;

foo()[bar()] += 1

produces

foo
bar

so here it's not translated like 'foo()[bar()] = foo()[bar()] + 1' but evidently
more like 'a = foo(); i = bar(); a.__setitem__(i, a.__getitem__(i) + 1)'?

If so, is this behavior defined anywhere?

I did find discussion (end of §6.2 of the language reference) of the case where
the target is an attibute reference, with this example:

class A:
x = 3 # class variable
a = A()
a.x += 1 # writes a.x as 4 leaving A.x as 3

:)

Cheers, & thanks,

- Alf

Gabriel Genellina

* Jon Clements:
This sent me searching everywhere, because the documentation of '+=' and
other "augmented assignment statements" says

"The target is only evaluated once.",

like in C++, which implies a kind of reference to mutable object.

Not exactly. For an augmented assignment, the target (left side) may be an
identifier, an atttribute reference, or a subscription/slicing. In the
first case, the comment simply does not apply (there is a single one
opportunity to evaluate the target).

a += some(expression) means: evaluate "a", evaluate some(expression),
perform the operation +=, bind the resulting object to the name "a".

a.attr += some(expression) means: evaluate "a", ask it for its attribute
"attr", evaluate some(expression), perform the operation +=, ask the
(already known) object "a" to store the resulting object as its attribute
"attr".

a[index] += some(expression) performs a similar sequence of steps; "a" is
evaluated only once, then it is asked to retrieve its element at [index],
the computation is performed, and finally the (already known) object "a"
is asked to store the result at [index].

"The target is only evaluated once." means that it is NOT reevaluated
before the final result is stored. Same applies to "index" above, although
this is not explicited. Perhaps it is more clear with a longer expression:
a[b+c].c[d(e[f])].h += 1 computes the a[b+c].c[d(e[f])] part only once.
I couldn't immediately see how subscription could apparently return a
reference to mutable int object in Python in a way so that it worked
transparently (the idiom in C++).

It does not. It perform first a "getitem" operation followed by a
"setitem" to store the result. A normal dictionary would fail when asked
for an inexistent item; a defaultdict creates and returns a default value
in such case.

py> import collections
py> d = collections.defaultdict(int)
py> d['a'] += 1
py> d['a'] += 1
py> d['a']
2
py> d['b']
0

note: int() returns 0; defaultdict(lambda: 0) could have been used.
However, it worked to replace collections.defaultdict with a class
overriding __getitem__ and __setitem__, so I guess that's how it works,
that in this case '+=' is simply translated like 'x += n' -> 'temp = x;
x = temp + n'.

Is this a correct understanding, and if so, what exactly does the
documentation mean for the general case?

If x is a simple name, the only difference between x += n and x = x+n is
the method invoked to perform the operation (__iadd__ vs __add__ in
arbitrary objects). Both x and n are evaluated only once - and this is not
an optimization, nor a shortcut, simply there is no need to do otherwise
(please make sure you understand this).

From the docs for the operator module: "Many operations have an “in-placeâ€
version. The following functions provide a more primitive access to
in-place operators than the usual syntax does; for example, the statement
x += y is equivalent to x = operator.iadd(x, y). Another way to put it is
to say that z = operator.iadd(x, y) is equivalent to the compound
statement z = x; z += y."
http://docs.python.org/library/operator.html
foo()[bar()] += 1

so here it's not translated like 'foo()[bar()] = foo()[bar()] + 1' but
evidently more like 'a = foo(); i = bar(); a.__setitem__(i,
a.__getitem__(i) + 1)'?

Yes, something like that.
If so, is this behavior defined anywhere?

Isn't the description at
http://docs.python.org/reference/simple_stmts.html#assignment-statements
enough? It goes to some detail describing, e.g., what a.x = 1 means. The
next section explains what a.x += 1 means in terms of the former case.
I did find discussion (end of §6.2 of the language reference) of the
case where the target is an attibute reference, with this example:

class A:
x = 3 # class variable
a = A()
a.x += 1 # writes a.x as 4 leaving A.x as 3

Do you want to discuss this example?

Alf P. Steinbach

* Gabriel Genellina:
En Thu, 05 Nov 2009 21:23:27 -0300, Alf P. Steinbach <[email protected]>
escribió:
[snip]
From the docs for the operator module: "Many operations have an
“in-place†version. The following functions provide a more primitive
access to in-place operators than the usual syntax does; for example,
the statement x += y is equivalent to x = operator.iadd(x, y). Another
way to put it is to say that z = operator.iadd(x, y) is equivalent to
the compound statement z = x; z += y."
http://docs.python.org/library/operator.html
Thanks!

foo()[bar()] += 1

so here it's not translated like 'foo()[bar()] = foo()[bar()] + 1' but
evidently more like 'a = foo(); i = bar(); a.__setitem__(i,
a.__getitem__(i) + 1)'?

Yes, something like that.
If so, is this behavior defined anywhere?

Isn't the description at
http://docs.python.org/reference/simple_stmts.html#assignment-statements
enough? It goes to some detail describing, e.g., what a.x = 1 means. The
next section explains what a.x += 1 means in terms of the former case.

No, it wasn't exactly enough for me, coming most recently from a C++ background.

One reason was as mentioned that the C++ standard has essentially the /same
wording/ about "only evaluated once" but with a more strict meaning; in C++,
with the built-in += operator

a()[foo()] += 1;

not only avoids calling a() and foo() twice, it also avoids doing the internal
indexing twice, while in python the internal indexing, locating that item, is
performed first in __getitem__ and then in __setitem__ (unless that is optimized
away at lower level by caching last access, but that in itself has overhead).

Another reason was that §6.2 does explicitly discuss attribute references as
targets, but not subscription as target. It would have been more clear to me if
all (four?) possible target forms were discussed. Happily you did now discuss
that in the part that I snipped above, but would've been nice, and easier for
for an other-language-thinking person :), if it was in documentation.

Do you want to discuss this example?

Thanks but no, it's OK, I understand it.

Cheers,

- Alf

Gabriel Genellina

* Gabriel Genellina:
One reason was as mentioned that the C++ standard has essentially the
/same wording/ about "only evaluated once" but with a more strict
meaning; in C++, with the built-in += operator

a()[foo()] += 1;

not only avoids calling a() and foo() twice, it also avoids doing the
internal indexing twice, while in python the internal indexing, locating
that item, is performed first in __getitem__ and then in __setitem__
(unless that is optimized away at lower level by caching last access,
but that in itself has overhead).

Yes, that's a common misunderstanding in people coming from other
languages with a different semantics for "assignment" and "variable".
You're not alone :)

Python does not have "lvalues" as in C++. In the statement x=1, the left
hand side does not denote an object, but a name. x.attr=1 and x[index]=1
act more like a function call (they *are* function calls actually) than
assignments.
Another reason was that §6.2 does explicitly discuss attribute
references as targets, but not subscription as target. It would have
been more clear to me if all (four?) possible target forms were
discussed. Happily you did now discuss that in the part that I snipped
above, but would've been nice, and easier for for an
other-language-thinking person :), if it was in documentation.

Yes, probably that section should be improved (except the final example
added, the text hasn't changed since it was first written, more than 9
years ago).

Reading reference material may be terribly boring, I admit. Most people
read only the specific sections required to solve a specific problem; and
some concepts that are introduced earlier in the book are missed or
skipped.
If you haven't already done so, try at least to read these two sections
from the Language Reference: 3.1. Objects, values and types, and 4.1.
Naming and binding. They define the most important concepts in Python; the
rest are just details.