Listbox DataValueField

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Gerald, Jun 22, 2005.

  1. Gerald

    Gerald Guest

    Hi,

    Is it possible to do some action on the value that will be the
    DataValueField of a listbox?

    I have a listbox with a list of item. But I would like to encode the value
    ID that the client will see in the html.
    There is no way to do that on the database, it has to be done on the .net
    side.

    For instance:

    I have
    SearchID.DataSource = oReader;
    SearchID.DataValueField = "Value";
    SearchID.DataTextField = "Text";
    SearchID.DataBind ();

    And I would like to have something like:

    SearchID.DataSource = oReader;
    SearchID.DataValueField = EncodeID("Value");
    SearchID.DataTextField = "Text";
    SearchID.DataBind();

    EncodeID being whatever you want, just a simple function.

    I dont want to loop through anything and would like if possible to keep the
    databinding stuff.

    Another option would be to response.write the listitem, but again, I want to
    keep the four lines there and apply a function to it.

    Thanks for your help.

    Gerald
    Gerald, Jun 22, 2005