    However it would be nicer if I could get all the properties of a service
    as well.

    Thanks for any info and bye

    News123, Feb 16, 2010

  2. * News123:
    > Hi,
    >

    > What is the best way with python to get a list of all windows services.
    >
    > As a start I would be glad to receive only the service names.
    >
    > However it would be nicer if I could get all the properties of a service
    > as well.
    >
    > Thanks for any info and bye

    * Library:

    If there is some existing library for that (just search the web) then that
    would probably be the easiest.

    * Registry functions:

    Otherwise, I'd use the general registry access functions.

    Info about the registry access functions is available in your Python docs.

    All the information about services is in the Windows registry (documented in
    the MSDN Library, which is available in a browsable on-line version at
    Microsoft).

    * Text-oriented commands:

    An alternative to using the registry access functions is to capture the output
    of e.g. the 'sc' command.

    The 'net' command also has some functionality related to services, e.g.
    'net start'.

    Cheers & hth.,

    - Alf
    Alf P. Steinbach, Feb 16, 2010

  3. News123

    alex23 Guest

    News123 <> wrote:
    > What is the best way with python to get a list of all windows services.
    >
    > As a start I would be glad to receive only the service names.
    >
    > However it would be nicer if I could get all the properties of a service
    > as well.

    I highly recommend Tim Golden's fantastic WMI module[1].

    >>> import wmi
    >>> c = wmi.WMI()
    >>> services = c.Win32_Service()
    >>> s = services[0]
    >>> s

    <_wmi_object: \\LIB-D5NYF1S\root
    \cimv2:Win32_Service.Name="Alerter">
    >>> s.properties

    {u'DisplayName': None, u'ServiceSpecificExitCode': None, u'State':
    None, u'Syste
    mName': None, u'ErrorControl': None, u'Status': None,
    u'ProcessId': None, u'Desc
    ription': None, u'Started': None, u'AcceptStop': None,
    u'CheckPoint': None, u'Pa
    thName': None, u'WaitHint': None, u'Name': None, u'InstallDate':
    None, u'Caption
    ': None, u'StartMode': None, u'DesktopInteract': None,
    u'ServiceType': None, u'T
    agId': None, u'StartName': None, u'AcceptPause': None,
    u'CreationClassName': Non
    e, u'SystemCreationClassName': None, u'ExitCode': None}
    >>> s.Name

    u'Alerter'
    >>> s.Started

    False
    >>> s.ServiceType

    u'Share Process'

    1: http://timgolden.me.uk/python/wmi/index.html
    alex23, Feb 16, 2010
  4. * alex23:
    > News123 <> wrote:
    >> What is the best way with python to get a list of all windows services.
    >>
    >> As a start I would be glad to receive only the service names.
    >>
    >> However it would be nicer if I could get all the properties of a service
    >> as well.

    > I highly recommend Tim Golden's fantastic WMI module[1].

    It's probably Very Good, but one Microsoft-thing one should be aware of: using
    WMI functionality generally starts up a background WMI service...

    Similarly, starting the standard clipboard viewer (discontinued in Windows
    Vista) starts up a silly copy-clipboard-contents-over-network service.

    On a low-range machine the WMI service can be a resource concern.

    I don't know whether the WMI service is a security concern (it probably is,
    considering IIS and anything Microsoft+Network and that WMI is meant to
    administrate machines over network, it's an enterprise thing not a personal
    computer user thing), but the clipboard service is, as I recall, a concern.

    > <_wmi_object: \\LIB-D5NYF1S\root
    > \cimv2:Win32_Service.Name="Alerter">

    > {u'DisplayName': None, u'ServiceSpecificExitCode': None, u'State':
    > None, u'Syste
    > mName': None, u'ErrorControl': None, u'Status': None,
    > u'ProcessId': None, u'Desc
    > ription': None, u'Started': None, u'AcceptStop': None,
    > u'CheckPoint': None, u'Pa
    > thName': None, u'WaitHint': None, u'Name': None, u'InstallDate':
    > None, u'Caption
    > ': None, u'StartMode': None, u'DesktopInteract': None,
    > u'ServiceType': None, u'T
    > agId': None, u'StartName': None, u'AcceptPause': None,
    > u'CreationClassName': Non
    > e, u'SystemCreationClassName': None, u'ExitCode': None}

    > u'Alerter'

    > False

    > u'Share Process'
    >
    > 1: http://timgolden.me.uk/python/wmi/index.html

    Cheers,

    - Alf
    Alf P. Steinbach, Feb 16, 2010
  5. News123

    alex23 Guest

    On Feb 16, 1:28 pm, "Alf P. Steinbach" <> wrote:
    > It's probably Very Good, but one Microsoft-thing one should be aware of: using
    > WMI functionality generally starts up a background WMI service...

    "Probably"? You haven't even used the module but you felt the need to
    contribute anyway? And I see that my suggestion is "probably" a
    security concern too. Would it be too much to ask for you to provide
    something other than unrelated anecdotes as evidence to support these
    claims? Or perhaps produce an alternative solution[1] for the OP
    instead of shitting over a working solution?

    So you chose to post to share your vague unsubstantiated concerns
    while offering the sterling advice that a developer need be familiar
    with a system in order to be aware of the costs in using it. Clearly
    time well spent by all.

    1: http://essiene.blogspot.com/2005/04/python-windows-services.html
    alex23, Feb 16, 2010
  6. * alex23:
    > On Feb 16, 1:28 pm, "Alf P. Steinbach" <> wrote:
    >> It's probably Very Good, but one Microsoft-thing one should be aware of: using
    >> WMI functionality generally starts up a background WMI service...

    > "Probably"?

    That means that since you say it's fantastic, it's probably very good.
    "Probably" is a way to qualify the statement. Based on your earlier and current
    quite emotional mode of expression I wouldn't take your word for an evaluation.

    > You haven't even used the module but you felt the need to
    > contribute anyway?

    Yes, since I did not contribute about the module, but rather about the
    functionality that it uses, which you didn't mention in your otherwise excellent
    reply to the OP.

    > And I see that my suggestion is "probably" a security concern too.

    Yeah. It has nothing to do with the module, though. Only with Microsoft's WMI.

    > Would it be too much to ask for you to provide
    > something other than unrelated anecdotes as evidence to support these
    > claims?

    Google it.

    E.g. <url: http://www.google.com/search?wmi+exploit>.

    Other words and search engines might turn up other things, but the description
    of not a security "hole" but a security "crater" seems to me to indicate that
    it's not 100% secure.

    > Or perhaps produce an alternative solution[1] for the OP
    > instead of shitting over a working solution?

    Oh yes, the confusion that technical facts are somehow an expression of personal
    feelings and social matters, and can be chosen as one pleases, hence, that
    providing a fact or pointing out a possibility that is unwanted, is "shitting".

    From my point of view that's stupid.

    But I also think that apart from your "shitting" on me (and there the analogy is
    more apt, it's not about technical facts) it's great that you provide the kind
    of help that you did, pointing out a probably very good module that it seems
    gives the required functionality, and giving an URL.

    [snip further speculative insults]

    Cheers & hth.,

    - Alf
    Alf P. Steinbach, Feb 16, 2010
  7. News123

    alex23 Guest

    "Alf P. Steinbach" <> wrote:
    > it's great that you provide the kind
    > of help that you did, pointing out a probably very good module that it seems
    > gives the required functionality, and giving an URL.

    Yes, because that's _actually helping people_ and not just
    contributing the usual self-serving pontificating nonsense that just
    _flows_ from your goddamn mouth like a river of effluent
    psuedotruths.

    If you really wanted to help you would've cited _actual security
    flaws_ in your first response to me, instead of hand waving us away
    to once again do the leg work of verification. Based on your postings
    here, you regularly don't have the time or inclination to back up some
    of the bizarre claims you make. It would actually improve the signal
    in this channel a lot if you just chose not to make those posts at all.
    alex23, Feb 16, 2010
  8. * alex23:
    > "Alf P. Steinbach" <> wrote:
    >> it's great that you provide the kind
    >> of help that you did, pointing out a probably very good module that it seems
    >> gives the required functionality, and giving an URL.

    > Yes, because that's _actually helping people_ and not just
    > contributing the usual self-serving pontificating nonsense that just
    > _flows_ from your goddamn mouth like a river of effluent
    > psuedotruths.

    That's an off-topic personal attack, and it's completely untrue.

    You're wasting bandwidth.

    > If you really wanted to help you would've cited _actual security
    > flaws_ in your first response to me, instead of hand waving us away
    > to once again do the leg work of verification.

    Posting two ranting and raving articles complaining about 1 (one) line or so in
    an earlier article, just because you personally wouldn't want to know that,
    that's a total waste of the reader's time.

    Disregarding the negative emotional adjectives you add everywhere, it's a good
    heuristic to post what you would want to know.

    I would want to know that a service is started, that it's designed for net based
    administration by Microsoft, and that so it might constitute a security risk.

    And so I added that information, each point of which is relevant. If you don't
    want to know about the "probably" little thing you can just skim over it. If
    you're unable to do that then something's wrong with you.

    > Based on your postings
    > here, you regularly don't have the time or inclination to back up some
    > of the bizarre claims you make. It would actually improve the signal
    > in this channel a lot if you just chose not to make those posts at all.

    That an off-topic personal attack, and it's completely untrue.

    Another poster (not me) has described you in an article here as a sockpuppet
    (false identity being in reality another poster here) and a troll; I believe at
    least the troll bit.

    It would reduce the noise level a bit if you stopped contributing noise like above.

    Cheers,

    - Alf
    Alf P. Steinbach, Feb 16, 2010
  9. News123

    News123 Guest

    Thanks for your answers,

    The security wouldn't be a concern, as I would run while being only
    accessible by trusted hosts.

    I don't use the script often, so if it would start a WMI service during
    runtime and stop it afterwards it would be fine.

    I just wonder whether installing another 3rd party package for just
    listing all services s worth the effort.

    In my current case I'll go probably for parsing the output of
    "sc.exe query" or I'll traverse the registry.

    currently I just want to get a list of the names of the running services.

    bye

    News123, Feb 16, 2010
  10. News123

    Tim Golden Guest

    On 16/02/2010 12:18, News123 wrote:
    > I don't use the script often, so if it would start a WMI service during
    > runtime and stop it afterwards it would be fine.

    FWIW -- your other considerations notwithstanding -- I'm not aware
    of WMI having this effect. Generally you can assume that the WMI
    services are running (or not, if someone's shut them off) but
    I've never heard of them being started up by virtue of a call
    to the WMI subsystem and then stopped afterwards.

    That said, I'd be interested if someone did have a pointer for this;
    worth putting a caveat in the docs if that were the case.

    TJG
    Tim Golden, Feb 16, 2010
  11. * Tim Golden:
    > On 16/02/2010 12:18, News123 wrote:
    >> I don't use the script often, so if it would start a WMI service during
    >> runtime and stop it afterwards it would be fine.

    > FWIW -- your other considerations notwithstanding -- I'm not aware
    > of WMI having this effect. Generally you can assume that the WMI
    > services are running (or not, if someone's shut them off) but
    > I've never heard of them being started up by virtue of a call
    > to the WMI subsystem and then stopped afterwards.
    >
    > That said, I'd be interested if someone did have a pointer for this;
    > worth putting a caveat in the docs if that were the case.
    >
    > TJG

    I just googled the filename from memory, found

    <url: http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/wmiprvse.exe.html>

    Don't know if I've disabled it because invoking wmic didn't produce it.

    Uh, wait, since it hosts the provider service(s), perhaps...

    Yes, 'wmic service list brief' which actually retrieves some information (I
    guess it can be anything, I remembered this from listing process command lines)
    started an [wmprvse.exe] process.

    It terminated after the query/usage, but as I recall in some cases it doesn't.

    I don't know how that works with programmatic access, but it's worth checking out.

    Cheers,

    - Alf
    Alf P. Steinbach, Feb 16, 2010
  12. News123

    Tim Golden Guest

    On 16/02/2010 12:48, Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
    > I just googled the filename from memory, found
    >
    > <url: http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/wmiprvse.exe.html>
    >
    > Don't know if I've disabled it because invoking wmic didn't produce it.
    >
    > Uh, wait, since it hosts the provider service(s), perhaps...
    >
    > Yes, 'wmic service list brief' which actually retrieves some information (I
    > guess it can be anything, I remembered this from listing process command lines)
    > started an [wmprvse.exe] process.
    >
    > It terminated after the query/usage, but as I recall in some cases it doesn't.
    >
    > I don't know how that works with programmatic access, but it's worth checking out.

    Thanks. As I understand it, you're not talking about a *service* starting up
    or shutting down; rather a *process* starting up etc., presumably controlled
    by the underlying service?

    I'll do some further research to see what's going on there.

    TJG
    Tim Golden, Feb 16, 2010
  13. * Tim Golden:
    > On 16/02/2010 12:48, Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
    >> I just googled the filename from memory, found
    >>
    >> <url: http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/wmiprvse.exe.html>
    >>
    >> Don't know if I've disabled it because invoking wmic didn't produce it.
    >>
    >> Uh, wait, since it hosts the provider service(s), perhaps...
    >>
    >> Yes, 'wmic service list brief' which actually retrieves some
    >> information (I
    >> guess it can be anything, I remembered this from listing process
    >> command lines)
    >> started an [wmprvse.exe] process.
    >>
    >> It terminated after the query/usage, but as I recall in some cases it
    >> doesn't.
    >>
    >> I don't know how that works with programmatic access, but it's worth
    >> checking out.

    > Thanks. As I understand it, you're not talking about a *service*
    > starting up
    > or shutting down; rather a *process* starting up etc., presumably
    > controlled
    > by the underlying service?

    It doesn't seem to provide ordinary Windows "service"s, but it's a bit unclear
    since e.g. the URL above says

    <quote>
    Beginning with Windows XP, WMI resides in a shared service host with several
    other services. To avoid stopping all the services when a provider fails,
    providers are loaded into a separate host process named Wmiprvse.exe. Multiple
    instances of Wmiprvse.exe can run at the same time under different accounts:
    LocalSystem, NetworkService or LocalService. The WMI core WinMgmt.exe is loaded
    into the shared Local Service host named Svchost.exe.
    Note: wmiprvsw.exe is the Sasser worm!

    Note: The wmiprvse.exe file is located in the folder C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem.
    In other cases, wmiprvse.exe is a virus, spyware, trojan or worm! Check this
    with Security Task Manager.
    </quote>

    Checking for ordinary Windows services:

    <example>
    C:\test> (wmic service list >nul) & tasklist /svc /fi "imagename eq wmiprvse.exe"

    Image Name PID Services
    ========================= ====== =============================================
    wmiprvse.exe 1076 N/A

    C:\test> _
    </example>

    > I'll do some further research to see what's going on there.

    Cheers,

    - Alf (is this off-topic for the group?)
    Alf P. Steinbach, Feb 16, 2010
  14. On 02/16/10 13:51, Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
    <cut>
    > - Alf (is this off-topic for the group?)

    Strictly speaking yes, but I do find it interesting and there is nothing
    wrong with ignoring posts you don't like to read.

    --
    mph
    Martin P. Hellwig, Feb 16, 2010
  15. News123

    Guest

    On Feb 16, 2010, at 4:04 AM, Ben Finney wrote:

    > Please, don't send the above kind of vitriol to this public forum.
    > Better yet, compose it in your editor, bask in what you've written, then delete it unsent.

    +1

    If you kids want to have some sort of pissing-in-your-sockpuppet type of contest to see who can out-whatever each other, do it off-list and don't waste everyone else's time with.

    What ever happened to "don't feed the trolls" ?? If you really believe someone's trolling, don't answer, block them, and move on.

    Providing a lengthy, well-reasoned reply only shows that they've pulled you into the troll pit for a fight with them, regardless of whether you're "right."

    , Feb 16, 2010
  16. News123

    Steve Holden Guest

    Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
    [...]
    >> I'll do some further research to see what's going on there.

    > Cheers,
    >
    > - Alf (is this off-topic for the group?)

    It's gone a lot further off than this without anyone complaining. I
    think your experiences to date should convince you that you can rely on
    being told when you drift too far off-topic :)

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
    Steve Holden, Feb 16, 2010
  17. * Steve Holden:
    > Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
    > [...]
    >>> I'll do some further research to see what's going on there.

    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> - Alf (is this off-topic for the group?)

    > It's gone a lot further off than this without anyone complaining. I
    > think your experiences to date should convince you that you can rely on
    > being told when you drift too far off-topic :)

    Some old folks' music, Eternity's Breath & Stratus; the guy playing is 65:

    <url: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMH6WH9gyCc>

    Hip hoppers may skip the 80 seconds complicated intro.

    It is relevant in a way, although very indirectly. For although the comment did
    not pop up here, many Satch videos (this is not Satch) have comments like "How
    on Earth can he remember all those notes?"

    And he doesn't.

    It's not memorization: one can't create at this level by memorizing notes or rules.

    It's an understanding of the tool one uses and what one wants to create and the
    basic themes, and in this video it's also the synergy effect of four people
    doing that, creating together something they can't quite believe they're doing,
    so you have four madly grinning world class musicians -- and audience... :)

    - Alf
    Alf P. Steinbach, Feb 16, 2010
  18. News123

    David Bolen Guest

    alex23 <> writes:

    > News123 <> wrote:
    >> What is the best way with python to get a list of all windows services.
    >>
    >> As a start I would be glad to receive only the service names.
    >>
    >> However it would be nicer if I could get all the properties of a service
    >> as well.

    > I highly recommend Tim Golden's fantastic WMI module[1].

    Another alternative is the win32service module from the pywin32
    package (which IMO you'll almost certainly want available when doing
    any significant Windows-specific operations) which wraps the native
    win32 libraries for enumerating, querying and controlling services.

    A simple loop could use EnumServicesStatus to iterate through the
    services, OpenService with the SERVICE_QUERY_CONFIG flag to get a
    handle to each service, and then QueryServiceConfig to retrieve
    configuration information.

    Since pywin32 is a relatively thin wrapper over the win32 libraries,
    pure MSDN documentation can be used for help with the calls, augmented
    by any Python-related information contained in the pywin32
    documentation.

    -- David
    David Bolen, Feb 16, 2010
  19. News123

    News123 Guest

    Hi David,

    Thanks a lot.

    As I have pywin32 already installed this is probbaly the way to go.

    Meanwhile I implemented already a small module, which is parsing
    sc.exe's output, but probably 'll change it as my implementation is a
    little clumsy.

    bye

    News123, Feb 17, 2010
  20. News123

    Tim Golden Guest

    On 16/02/2010 13:51, Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
    > It doesn't seem to provide ordinary Windows "service"s, but it's a bit unclear
    > since e.g. the URL above says

    [... snip ...]

    Well the useful info in there appears to come from:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa392783(VS.85).aspx

    Looking around the matter, I think I'm taking the view that this
    is an implementation detail of WMI.

    However you use it, WMI is a layer on a layer on layer
    (especially if you're using it in Python with my module!)
    and it's never going to be the fastest thing going. One
    contributory factor will be this particular model of
    process-within-process. But I don't feel that it would
    help anybody if I were to mention it on my webpages as
    there's nothing the casual user can do about it.

    In general I tend to unrecommend WMI for something small
    in an app which doesn't otherwise use it, unless the
    convenience (and it *is* very convenient sometimes)
    outweighs the slight performance issue.

    Thanks for the heads-up anyway, Alf. I need to get up
    to speed with the Vista & W7 issues referred to on
    that page as well.

    TJG
    Tim Golden, Feb 17, 2010