lists

dorayme

I expect many have wrestled with the problems of getting
horizontal lists to line up and be reasonably close to whatever
left box there might be.

For example, you float a pic to the left. You allow a margin for
the float to sit in and the ul begins to the right of this. Much
funny business goes on in trying to control this situation due to
not exactly obvious ways the browsers handle the space for the
list markers - even when they are absent.

What is the question? Let me put it this way; if one were to use
items, this would have the usual general faults that could get
one excommunicated from this church. But my, how nicely and
predictably this all lines up in the browsers. I need a nice link
to something that specifically addresses the control of this line
up when using the proper tool, lists. Something that shows, if
possible, some research into how to handle these things reliably.
(It is easy enough to control what happens in any given browser
using things like negative margins. But this is not so great when
seen with another browser).

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
Much
funny business goes on in trying to control this situation due to
not exactly obvious ways the browsers handle the space for the
list markers - even when they are absent.

Not sure if this is quite what you are asking, but I always start my
stylesheet with

* {margin: 0; padding: 0;}

then apply the desired padding and margins to each element. That way all
browsers are applying the same padding and margins as each other (bugs
excepted).

dorayme

Mark Parnell said:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme

Not sure if this is quite what you are asking, but I always start my
stylesheet with

* {margin: 0; padding: 0;}

then apply the desired padding and margins to each element. That way all
browsers are applying the same padding and margins as each other (bugs
excepted).

I suppose I better make up an example... bit busy but will as
this rather bugs me...

I agree one should start your way... but the problem is deeper...
Have you used negative margins to get the list to come a bit
closer to the left? Or given less than what one would intuitively
give when allowing a margin (of say 290px) for a left floated pic
(say 300 wide) so that the list sits closer to the pic (with no
list markers needed)

btw. I am greatly hampered by the crappy unreliable Windows box I
have. Fancy having to fork out just to see what my sites look
like in IE! Please, no one suggest online browser capture images.
It is hopeless this way. :)