literal substitution

Dave Walden

Hi,

Can someone tell me how I can obtain functionality like
$str =~ s/$a/$b/g;
where $a and $b contain strings and where instance of the the literal
string contained in $a are replaced by the literal string in $b
*without* regular expression interpretation. In other words, in the
following
my $str = 'moo \foo.* zoo';
my $a = ' \foo.*';
my $b = ' $';
$str =~ s/$a/$b/g;
I would like the value in $str to end up being 'moo $ zoo' while
allowing me to avoid having to escape in all the regex control
characters in the arguments to s///. Is there some qualifier I can use
to turn off regular expression interpretation in the arguments to s///
or some other way I can easily accomplish this without coding a new
subtroutine which takes the three arguments $str, $a, and $b and does
what I want?

Thanks, Dave

kens

Dave said:
[...]

You may want to look at the quotemeta function.

perldoc -f quotemeta

HTH, Ken

Jürgen Exner

Dave said:
Hi,

Can someone tell me how I can obtain functionality like
$str =~ s/$a/$b/g;
where $a and $b contain strings and where instance of the the literal
string contained in $a are replaced by the literal string in $b
*without* regular expression interpretation.

Sometimes I wonder why people are so obsessed with REs. Yes, they are great
and powerful and you you can do a lot with them.
However, why bend over backwards to make them fit a scenario they were not
meant for when there are much easier and straightforward solutions:
- use index() to find the location of string $a in $str
- use substr() to replace the text

jue

Dave Walden

Jürgen Exner said:
- use index() to find the location of string $a in $str
- use substr() to replace the text

Thanks. That's the memory jog I needed (although not as ideal as
having an additional qualifier to s/// that turned off regex control
character interpretation).

Brian McCauley

Dave said:
Thanks. That's the memory jog I needed (although not as ideal as
having an additional qualifier to s/// that turned off regex control
character interpretation).

Did you miss kens' reply?

s/\Q$a/$b/;

Ted Zlatanov

Sometimes I wonder why people are so obsessed with REs. Yes, they are great
and powerful and you you can do a lot with them.
However, why bend over backwards to make them fit a scenario they were not
meant for when there are much easier and straightforward solutions:
- use index() to find the location of string $a in $str
- use substr() to replace the text

The first part of the problem, finding a constant string, is
definitely better with index(), but I would argue REs are exactly
right for this task as a whole. You'd have to write at least 5 lines
of code vs. one simple line (quotemeta() makes it two lines); not to
mention the complexity and potential for bugs are higher. Yes, you
can jam index()/substr() into one or two lines, I'm assuming sane
maintainable code here.

If it was just one substitution, maybe it's a tie, but with the g flag
you have to loop too. Unless you were optimizing, why would you do
this to yourself and to whoever has to maintain your code later?

Ted

Paul Lalli

Ted said:
The first part of the problem, finding a constant string, is
definitely better with index(), but I would argue REs are exactly
right for this task as a whole. You'd have to write at least 5 lines
of code vs. one simple line (quotemeta() makes it two lines);

The \Q..\E representation of quotemeta() keeps it one line.

s/\Q$a\E/$b;

Paul Lalli