Liveconnect missing?

j_macaroni

I am trying to communicate back to my web page using LiveConnect. I
just installed JDK5 Netbeans and have created a few applets. I have
even called the applets from Javascript. However when I use the import
line below it doesnt find the library.

I looked for jaws.jar but its not under the Java directory. Does anyone
know where it is? Do I have to download it?

import netscape.javascript.*;

This is where I installed the JDK

C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_06

Also, is LiveConnect the only way to communicate with Javascript or is
there some new way of doing this.

I am using IE6 and alos Firefox.

Thanks

Erwin Moller

I am trying to communicate back to my web page using LiveConnect. I
just installed JDK5 Netbeans and have created a few applets. I have
even called the applets from Javascript. However when I use the import
line below it doesnt find the library.

I looked for jaws.jar but its not under the Java directory. Does anyone
know where it is? Do I have to download it?

import netscape.javascript.*;

This is where I installed the JDK

C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_06

Also, is LiveConnect the only way to communicate with Javascript or is
there some new way of doing this.

I am using IE6 and alos Firefox.

Thanks

Hi,

Java <-> Javascript is good fun. :)

Read this for background information and also for links to download needed
packages:
http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/1.3/docs/jsobject.html
http://developers.sun.com/sw/docs/examples/java/passing_params.html

Or do as I did, go to java.sun.com and type javascript into the searchbox.
:)

Good luck,
Erwin Moller

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,

I am trying to communicate back to my web page using LiveConnect. I
just installed JDK5 Netbeans and have created a few applets. I have
even called the applets from Javascript. However when I use the import
line below it doesnt find the library.

I looked for jaws.jar but its not under the Java directory. Does anyone
know where it is? Do I have to download it?

import netscape.javascript.*;

This is where I installed the JDK

C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_06

Also, is LiveConnect the only way to communicate with Javascript or is
there some new way of doing this.

I am using IE6 and alos Firefox.

Thanks

I have information about LiveConnect on this page:
http://www.galasoft-lb.ch/myjavascript/consulting/LiveConnect102/index.html
and
http://www.galasoft-lb.ch/myjavascript/consulting/LiveConnect130/index.html

Even though these pages are quite old now, the technology still seems to
work in the same way that it did before.

As for netscape.javascript.*, this is how I did it back then:
http://www.galasoft-lb.ch/myjavascript/consulting/LiveConnect102/liveconnect.html

HTH,
Laurent

j_macaroni

I guess people havent read my orginal post correctly. My question was
where to get Liveconnect to download. I cannot find it anywhere on my
computer. Its not on my system when i use the import command. I cant
find the jaws.jar. Where is the website to actually get it.

Thanks

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,

I guess people havent read my orginal post correctly. My question was
where to get Liveconnect to download. I cannot find it anywhere on my
computer. Its not on my system when i use the import command. I cant
find the jaws.jar. Where is the website to actually get it.

Thanks

I had read and understood what you are asking. However, the page I gave you
http://www.galasoft-lb.ch/myjavascript/consulting/LiveConnect102/liveconnect.html
seems to be outdated. A quick search on Google confirmed that the
java40.jar file is not used anymore, but instead in jaws.jar. Sorry for
that.

Anyway, I made a quick Google search, and found this page:
http://java.sun.com/developer/JDCTechTips/2002/tt0219.html#tip2

I then looked on my PC, and found the jaws.jar file under
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.1_02\lib

This is where the Java runtime (not SDK) is installed.

So to summarize: Install the JVM, check in the lib subdirectory, and
then follow the instructions at
http://java.sun.com/developer/JDCTechTips/2002/tt0219.html#tip2

HTH,
Laurent

Dag Sunde

I guess people havent read my orginal post correctly. My question was
where to get Liveconnect to download. I cannot find it anywhere on my
computer. Its not on my system when i use the import command. I cant
find the jaws.jar. Where is the website to actually get it.

I don't know anything about jaws.jar...

I use plugin.jar (that contains netscape.javascript.*) which I found in
"C:\jdk1.5.0_06\jre\lib". I copied it into my sdk lib directory while
developing ("C:\jdk1.5.0_06\\lib")

Then I can call javascript functions from my applet like this:

import netscape.javascript.*;

// Call the JS function 'appletReady()', and tell it we're ready to
roll...
JSObject appletOwner = JSObject.getWindow ( this );
String[] args = new String[]{};
appletOwner.call ( "appletReady", args );

j_macaroni

I found the plugin.jar and then I added it as a jar library in the
Netbeans IDE project.

Many thanks to both of you for your help.