Local Drive File Permissions

Brandon

Sorry for the cross post. I posted this in web services general, but after
thinking about it, I think it will get more hits here in asp.net web
services. I'm on Windows XP Pro running a web service on my local pc (which
will eventually be moved up to a server). I need to access several files on
my local hard drive (ultimately the server's hard drive) from the web
service. I'm running into a file access problem with this. To illustrate my
problem, I've got it really stripped down. Here is a web service in c# ...

using System.IO;
[WebMethod]
public string OpenFile()
{
string retVal = "OK";
try
{
FileStream fs = new FileStream("c:\\hello.txt", FileMode.Open);
}
catch ( Exception e )
{
retVal = e.Message;
}
return retVal;
}

When I browse to this service in IE and Invoke the OpenFile method, my
return value is "Access to the path "c:\hello.txt" is denied."

I've tried changing my IUSR_BRANDON user to be a member of the Administrator
group. I've changed the anonymous access user to Administrator. Let IIS
control password as well as type it in explicitly. I've fooled around with
several things, but nothing I change or flip seems to have any effect.

This should be pretty easy shouldn't it? I mean, the asp.net process should
be able to see the local drive right? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I'm beating my head on the keyboard here.

Thanks is advance,
Brandon Parks
(e-mail address removed) (remove spamfree)

Luca Morelli

if i remember well there is an ASPNET user that is used by the asp.net
processes.
I suggest that if you want less problems read froma directory with
FullAccess to everyone rights.

Kumar Shetgar

I would not give FullAccess to Everyone. Its not secure..
You can try adding IIS_WPG to the user names and that should solve it.

If it doesnt work...give access to "Network Service" and try it.

-- Kumar Shetgar