    can ruby be used to make an inventory and administration program,to run
    locally with no internet conection?
    can it be done with ruby on rails? or it can only be done in ruby ?

    longinos, Mar 26, 2007

  2. On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 03:26:04AM +0900, longinos wrote:
    > can ruby be used to make an inventory and administration program,to run
    > locally with no internet conection?

    This is rather like asking "can I write programs in Ruby?" The answer is
    "Yes".

    Collect the data you want, store it in an inventory, and display it.

    > can it be done with ruby on rails?

    Yes. Rails is a nice framework for building database applications with web
    user interfaces. You don't need an Internet connection; just point your
    browser at http://localhost:3000/ or whatever.

    You might want a separate program which runs by itself to collect data (e.g.
    periodically, rather than in response to a HTTP request), but it can still
    use the ActiveRecord to access the underlying database.

    > or it can only be done in ruby ?

    You can do it without Rails if you wish. You can process web requests and
    HTML generation yourself; or you can build a non-web application using a GUI
    toolkit (Tk, Fox, Gtk, Qt, ...lots to choose from).

    Brian.
    Brian Candler, Mar 26, 2007