local network

longinos

can ruby be used to make an inventory and administration program,to run
locally with no internet conection?
can it be done with ruby on rails? or it can only be done in ruby ?

Brian Candler

can ruby be used to make an inventory and administration program,to run
locally with no internet conection?

This is rather like asking "can I write programs in Ruby?" The answer is
"Yes".

Collect the data you want, store it in an inventory, and display it.
can it be done with ruby on rails?

Yes. Rails is a nice framework for building database applications with web
user interfaces. You don't need an Internet connection; just point your
browser at http://localhost:3000/ or whatever.

You might want a separate program which runs by itself to collect data (e.g.
periodically, rather than in response to a HTTP request), but it can still
use the ActiveRecord to access the underlying database.
or it can only be done in ruby ?

You can do it without Rails if you wish. You can process web requests and
HTML generation yourself; or you can build a non-web application using a GUI
toolkit (Tk, Fox, Gtk, Qt, ...lots to choose from).

Brian.