Location HTTP Header

ptn

Hi all.

I tried this stupid script on my server:

#! /usr/bin/env python

print 'Location: http://www.google.com\n'

and it didn't work, I get a blank page. I first tried the Location
header in another script, and when execution got to that point, it
would
just sort of ignore it, because the script would keep running to the
end
of the code (or stop at some unhandled exception).

I ran chmod 755 script.cgi and the cgi script is at the correct
directory, but still nothing. I think it might be an error from the
server (the old PythonWeb.org webserver), maybe it doesn't support
Location? Is that even possible? Or maybe there's some setup I
forgot
to do?

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

Gabriel Genellina

I tried this stupid script on my server:

#! /usr/bin/env python

print 'Location: http://www.google.com\n'

and it didn't work, I get a blank page. I first tried the Location
header in another script, and when execution got to that point, it
would
just sort of ignore it, because the script would keep running to the
end
of the code (or stop at some unhandled exception).

I assume this is a cgi script. For the Location field to be relevant, the
Status should be a 3xx (like 307 Temporary Redirect, or 302 Found)
In your case, your server probably has already sent a 200 OK response, so
Location is ignored.
Try adding a Status line -before Location above- like:
print 'Status: 302 Found"
Any ideas?

I'd use a different protocol other than CGI...

ptn

I assume this is a cgi script. For the Location field to be relevant, the
Status should be a 3xx (like 307 Temporary Redirect, or 302 Found)
In your case, your server probably has already sent a 200 OK response, so
Location is ignored.
Try adding a Status line -before Location above- like:
print 'Status: 302 Found"

I'd use a different protocol other than CGI...

Mmmmm no, that didn't do it. The script now is:

#! /usr/bin/env python

print 'Status: 302 Found'
print 'Location: http://www.google.com\n'

but still nothing happens, I get the same blank page.
Since the sscript is so simple, maybe it is a matter of server
configuration? Is that possible?