Logging bytes received and sent from ASP.NET application

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Andy M, Sep 6, 2004.

  1. Andy M

    Andy M Guest

    Hi,

    I am writing a logging component to my web application. Two things that
    I have not been able to work out are how to get, in bytes, the size of
    the request, and the size of the response.

    I have seen that the IIS logs can output this information, however I
    have not found a way to match this information with the rest of the
    information that I am logging.

    I also cannot see anything in the Request or Response classes that would
    give me the information I need.

    Could someone let me know where I might be able to find out how to
    capture that information? Or, and this is less desirable but an
    acceptable cludgy workaround, if there is any way to match up the IIS
    logs entries with my own log?

    Cheers,
    Andy.
    Andy M, Sep 6, 2004

  2. Andy M

    Rutger Smit Guest

    Andy M wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am writing a logging component to my web application. Two things that
    > I have not been able to work out are how to get, in bytes, the size of
    > the request, and the size of the response.
    >
    > I have seen that the IIS logs can output this information, however I
    > have not found a way to match this information with the rest of the
    > information that I am logging.
    >
    > I also cannot see anything in the Request or Response classes that would
    > give me the information I need.
    >
    > Could someone let me know where I might be able to find out how to
    > capture that information? Or, and this is less desirable but an
    > acceptable cludgy workaround, if there is any way to match up the IIS
    > logs entries with my own log?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Andy.

    Does Request.ContentLength not give te desired information?
    Don't know anything similar for Response.

    Else you can take a look at HttpModules, I think that can give you all
    the possibilities foor advanced logging.

    --

    //Rutger

    www.RutgerSmit.com
    Rutger Smit, Sep 6, 2004