Login based Site redirection

VEIDEMANIS

Hello all

I am looking for a server side solution for creating an html based
login page that will redirect users to sub pages that contain specific
content for their group. Basically I want to group login id's into
five categories - so that when a user from a specific category logs in
- they are directed to only their specific site and not the other four.
Also, they would not have access to the other four at all. If
activity logging is possible I would like to know how to do that as
well. I am very knowledgeable with HTML, but suck at stuff like this -
Any information is helpful and appreciated - you can also e-mail
replies to bernard_brittenAThotmailDOTcom - Replace the AT with @ and
the DOT with . I am able to use MYSQL, PHP, and ASP - but that doesn't
mean I know how to use them - hehehe

Adrienne Boswell

Hello all

I am looking for a server side solution for creating an html based
login page that will redirect users to sub pages that contain specific
content for their group. Basically I want to group login id's into
five categories - so that when a user from a specific category logs in
- they are directed to only their specific site and not the other four.
Also, they would not have access to the other four at all. If
activity logging is possible I would like to know how to do that as
well. I am very knowledgeable with HTML, but suck at stuff like this -
Any information is helpful and appreciated - you can also e-mail
replies to bernard_brittenAThotmailDOTcom - Replace the AT with @ and
the DOT with . I am able to use MYSQL, PHP, and ASP - but that doesn't
mean I know how to use them - hehehe

Please don't multipost. You need to talk to a server side group, PHP or
ASP, and perhaps alt.php.sql. I also gave you advice in
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html .

jojo

Perhaps I've got a solution... without using SQL which you have to use
otherwise to administer the usernames/usergroups.
I suppose your Homepage is hosted on an Apache Server (Most web-servers
are Apache). And on most of these servers the webmasters are allowed to
use .htaccess-files
With .htaccess-files you can simply set different rights to special
groups/users, if a user wants to enter a site which he is not allowed to
view with his current user a login-window is shown. For an example visit
www.hafner-web.de/privat. The only problem is the redirection... I don't
think it is possible to redirect with .htaccess to different sites
depending on the username.
I'm sorry, that is my only solution. Perhaps somebody has got a better
idea (beside SQL, I think it's quite difficult to learn)?

Adrienne Boswell

beside SQL, I think it's quite difficult to learn

No, SQL is actually very easy, eg:

SELECT id, name, address, city, st, zip FROM phonebook WHERE zip = '91205'

The above is a very simple query, and SQL can get very complicated, but
IMHO, not that difficult once you get the language together.

jojo

Adrienne said:
No, SQL is actually very easy, eg:

SELECT id, name, address, city, st, zip FROM phonebook WHERE zip = '91205'

The above is a very simple query, and SQL can get very complicated, but
IMHO, not that difficult once you get the language together.
Oh, I'm sorry, I must say I don't have much experience in SQL or PHP
because in my Web-Hosting-Package I'm not able to use it...
So there might be a better way to solve the problem... perhaps using SQL
and PHP? AFAIK there is a way to do redirects using PHP... and PHP works
perfect with SQL. Am I right?
So perhaps someone who has got experience with SQL and PHP may offer a
solution?