Login problem

Samuel Shulman

Is there a method that will indicate the person who logged successfully is
Logged and therefore allowed to browse freely other then using the
'Web.Security.FormsAuthentication.RedirectFromLoginPage' method

thanks,
Samuel

Guest

Samuel,
If a user is logged in,
the User property of the Page class will have a Name property with the
username;
you can access this from anywhere in your application.

Peter

Samuel Shulman

Let me try and clarify my question

If the user types in the url the Login.aspx file then enters the username and the password, clicks the login button and the form validates the values against values from the database

In case the values are correct and i want to send the user to another page, currently when i try doing it using the Response.Redirect method then if the destination page is in a protected folder it returns back to the login page because ASP.NET doesn't know that this user is authenticated

So all I need is another method that set the user as authenticated and then when i call the
Response.Redirect Method it will work

Of course if the user was automatically Redirected by the system to the login page then I can use the Web.Security.FormsAuthentication.RedirectFromLoginPage method

Thank you for your help
Samuel

Jeff Dillon

Use either Forms Authentication or Basic Authentication. You can't "Set" a user as authenticated.
[...]

How can i use the Forms Authentication or Basic Authentication to perform a similar function
[...]

tdavisjr

Well, You have to manually build the FormsAuthenticationTicket and then
redirect the user. Here is an article that you can look at.

http://blogs.msdn.com/tmeston/archive/2003/07/24/10505.aspx

Peter Bromberg said:
Samuel,
If a user is logged in,
the User property of the Page class will have a Name property with the
username;
you can access this from anywhere in your application.

Peter

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
UnBlog:
http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com
------=_NextPart_000_0218_01C689AE.FA5FB950

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>How can i use the Forms Authentication or Basic
Authentication to perform a similar function</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr
<DIV>"Jeff Dillon" &lt;<A
href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>&gt; wrote in
message <A
href="<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Use either Forms Authentication or Basic
Authentication. You can't "Set" a user as authenticated.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE
<DIV>"Samuel Shulman" &lt;<A
href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>&gt;
wrote in message <A
href="<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Let me try and clarify my question</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>If the user types in the url the Login.aspx
file then enters the username and the password, clicks the login button
and&nbsp;the form validates the values against values from the
database</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>In case the values are correct and iwant to
send the user to another page, currently when i try doing it using the
Response.Redirect method then&nbsp;if the destination page is in a protected
folder it returns back to the login page because ASP.NET doesn't knowthat
this user is authenticated</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>So all I need is another method thatset the
user as authenticated and then when i call the </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Response.Redirect Method it will
work</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Of course if the user was automatically
Redirected by the system to the login page then I can use the <FONT
size=2>Web.Security.FormsAuthentication.RedirectFromLoginPage
method</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thank you for your help</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Samuel</FONT></DIV>
<P><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>"Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]" &lt;</FONT><A
href="mailto:p[email protected]"><FONT face=Arial
size=2>[email protected]</FONT></A><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt;
wrote in message </FONT><A
href="face=Arial
size=2>face=Arial size=2>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt;
Samuel,<BR>&gt; If a user is logged in, <BR>&gt; the User property ofthe
Page class will have a Name property with the <BR>&gt; username;<BR>&gt; you
can access this from anywhere in your application.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;
Peter<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; -- <BR>&gt; Co-founder, Eggheadcafe.com developer
portal:<BR>&gt; </FONT><A href="http://www.eggheadcafe.com"><FONT face=Arial
size=2>http://www.eggheadcafe.com</FONT></A><BR><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt;
UnBlog:<BR>&gt; </FONT><A href="http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com"><FONT
face=Arial size=2>http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com</FONT></A><BR><FONT
face=Arial size=2>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; "Samuel Shulman"
wrote:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt; Is there a method that will indicate the person
who logged successfully is <BR>&gt;&gt; Logged and therefore allowed to
browse freely other then using the <BR>&gt;&gt;
'Web.Security.FormsAuthentication.RedirectFromLoginPage' method<BR>&gt;&gt;
<BR>&gt;&gt; thanks,<BR>&gt;&gt; Samuel <BR>&gt;&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt;
<BR>&gt;&gt;</FONT> </BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0218_01C689AE.FA5FB950--

Jeff Dillon

First of all, what do you mean "protected". How did you protect it? Who has
access?

Jeff

[...]

I got the answer alraedy
when I say protected i mean that the folder has forms authentication
security

Cheers,
Samuel