    David

    --
    David A. Black

    David A. Black, Feb 21, 2005

  2. On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 01:26:08 +0900, David A. Black <> wrote:
    > Hi --
    >
    > For people in or near London who are not on the London Ruby mailing
    > list:
    >
    > There's going to be a Ruby users meeting in London next Monday,
    > February 28, 7:00 PM, in the pub (Callaghans) at the Holiday Inn
    > Bloomsbury (near Russell Square tube; see map at
    > http://www.london-bloomsbury.holiday-inn.com/lonbl/location.html).
    >
    > See you there!
    >
    > David

    Racking up those frequent-flier miles, aren't we?

    James

    James G. Britt, Feb 21, 2005

  3. > Racking up those frequent-flier miles, aren't we?

    Mmm, one wonders where he is going to end up next. I wonder has David
    taken on the role of Ruby's Good Will ambassador :)

    Robert McGovern, Feb 21, 2005
  4. David A. Black

    Matt Mower Guest

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 04:32:28 +0900, Robert McGovern
    <> wrote:
    > > Racking up those frequent-flier miles, aren't we?

    > Mmm, one wonders where he is going to end up next. I wonder has David
    > taken on the role of Ruby's Good Will ambassador :)

    We'll let you know that when we see how quickly he gets his round in :)

    Matt Mower :: http://matt.blogs.it/

    Matt Mower, Feb 21, 2005
  5. > We'll let you know that when we see how quickly he gets his round in :)

    Heh, wife permitting I'm going to be there myself to find out :)

    I'm down near Brighton so its not really much of a trek.

    Rob

    Robert McGovern, Feb 22, 2005
  6. On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 01:26:08 +0900, David A. Black <> wrote:
    > Hi --
    >
    > For people in or near London who are not on the London Ruby mailing
    > list:

    <snip>

    > See you there!

    and David did indeed see us there, 11 of us in fact which apparently
    is something of a miracle :)

    A good night was had by all, though most of it was spent introducing
    ourselves to each other in the pub, then around 10 it was off to get
    food at an Indian restraunt down the road. A proper report is on the
    way later I believe (there was someone there keeping minutes).

    Robert McGovern, Mar 1, 2005
  7. David A. Black

    Rob . Guest

    Here are some brief notes from the Feb 2005 London Ruby Group meeting.
    We had 11 people in attendance, including four Robert's, which was a
    little confusing. We did a round table each speaking about our Ruby
    connections, interspersed and followed by general discussion and quite
    a few pints. All agreed to get onto the ruby-talk IRC channel if they
    weren't already. If you want to find out about plans for the next
    London meeting subscribe to the Ruby London list:

    Below is a summary of some points of interest from the meeting, please
    add or correct if necessary. The lists are probably quite incomplete.
    :)

    Ruby is being used in:
    - UK Parliament House of Commons - for publishing
    - Communications agency in the advertising market
    - New startup in stealth-mode
    - Various opensource/academic projects

    Some topics talked about (very incomplete list):
    - Ruby being used in commercial projects
    - scalability of Rails/Active Record
    - test-first programming - requires discipline but worth it!
    - speed of performance vs. speed of development and maintenance (will
    yarv be there to improve the former?)
    - telecommuting being socially depressing
    - sometimes easier to write solution in Ruby than download Ruby tool
    - Ruby community is helpful to all - term "egoless programmers" was mentioned

    Some things being written in Ruby:
    - PhD research work (GIS)
    - Miscellaneous scripting
    - News aggregator
    - Topic map serialization api
    - World data visualization service
    - HTTP cache gem

    Things being done for Ruby:
    - Providing jobs for Ruby prog'rs (thanks Sean and Ben!)
    - Ruby London mailing list server
    - Ruby plugin for jEdit

    Ruby frameworks/tools in use:
    - Rails/Active Record
    - Needle
    - Instiki

    Languages used in day job:
    - Ruby
    - Perl
    - Java
    - .Net/C#

    Ruby editor survey approx. results (some people listed more than once):
    vi/vim - 4
    textmate - 2
    textedit/textpad - 2
    scite - 1
    emacs - 1
    jedit - 1 (Rob McKinnon is working on Ruby plugin)
    eclipse/rdt - 1 (Rob McGovern co-authored "Eclipse in Action" book)
    freeride - 1
    arachno - 1
    whatever's there - 1

    Thanks to all who were there. A good night, hopefully followed by many
    more in the coming months.

    Rob ., Mar 2, 2005
  8. > Ruby editor survey approx. results (some people listed more than once):

    > scite - 1

    That was me ....

    > eclipse/rdt - 1 (Rob McGovern co-authored "Eclipse in Action" book)

    Heh, that was Matt ... I was saying I use Scite despite being the
    co-author of EiA.

    Rob

    Robert McGovern, Mar 2, 2005