long filename problem with new include format

Anthony Lansbergen

Hi,

My (pre)compiler(s) (borland C++ builder 5 and g++) both seems to have a
problem with the new include format.

In stead of #include <iostream.h> I want to say #include <iostream>.

This works fine for short filenames (<8 chars), but it doesn't work for long
filenames.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Greetings

Anthony

Victor Bazarov

Anthony said:
My (pre)compiler(s) (borland C++ builder 5 and g++) both seems to have a
problem with the new include format.

In stead of #include <iostream.h> I want to say #include <iostream>.

This works fine for short filenames (<8 chars), but it doesn't work for long
filenames.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Aside from using a wrong operating system? Hard to say. It would
be best to ask in a newsgroup dedicated to the compiler you're using.
The language cannot help you overcome an OS deficiency.

Victor

Petec

Victor said:
Aside from using a wrong operating system? Hard to say. It would
be best to ask in a newsgroup dedicated to the compiler you're using.
The language cannot help you overcome an OS deficiency.

Victor

Windows supports long filenames, it has been years since it didn't... Funny
how the Windows ports of GCC and related seem to use short file names, but
real Windows tools don't.

- Pete

Chris Johnson

Petec said:
Windows supports long filenames, it has been years since it didn't... Funny
how the Windows ports of GCC and related seem to use short file names, but
real Windows tools don't.

- Pete

The Windows ports of GCC and related most certainly _do_ support* long
filenames. Funnier still is to see your subjective observations about
the source of these tools, from other posts read, reflect in this one -
or so it "seems".

*By supported I do not mean "somereallylongname" converted to
"somere~1"; something "real Windows" is known for before NT/2000 on.
This _may_ help the OP otherwise follow the advice of Victor.

Humbly,
Chris a.k.a. devcjohnsonATexciteDOTcom

Richard Herring

Anthony Lansbergen said:
Hi,

My (pre)compiler(s) (borland C++ builder 5 and g++) both seems to have a
problem with the new include format.

In stead of #include <iostream.h> I want to say #include <iostream>.

This works fine for short filenames (<8 chars), but it doesn't work for long
filenames.
BCB5 works perfectly well for me with long filenames.
Am I doing something wrong here?

Forgetting (the moral equivalent of) using namespace std; ?