Long term javabeans serialization, compatible with JDK 1.2+

PZ

Hi all,

I'm seeking the way to perform transparent (or at least highly
automated, without having to hand-write mapping schemas) serialization
of objects to a non-binary format (XML, or even better, to a
relational database schema).

The best approach I've been able to find are the XMLEncoder and
XMLDecoder classes, which are avalaible in JDK1.4.X.

However, I need the software to work in a wide range of Java versions,
including JDK1.2.

Other ways I can think of solving this problem are the following:
- Castor XML marshalling and unmarshalling. Is Castor still active?
- Implement my own Javabean <-> DBMS/XML converter (there's no need to
solve the whole serialization problem, just only a small subset of
it). I'd rather avoid this approach since it may be too risky for my
releasing schedule.
- Use standard Java serialization (this is the way it's currently
working), and pretend the classes being stored will never change their
signature and become incompatible with the data stored.
- Do the loading/storing for each entity by hand (SQL stuff,...).

It's very important to note I don't want to solve this problem in a
generic way, just need to provide a (optional) simple persistence
layer to some small set of modules, which are independent among them.
The main target is allow a faster development of these modules.

Are there any other alternatives I should look at before start hacking
?

Thanks in advance, and merry christmas to all!
PZ