Long term javabeans serialization, compatible with JDK 1.2+

Discussion in 'Java' started by PZ, Dec 29, 2003.

  1. PZ

    PZ Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm seeking the way to perform transparent (or at least highly
    automated, without having to hand-write mapping schemas) serialization
    of objects to a non-binary format (XML, or even better, to a
    relational database schema).

    The best approach I've been able to find are the XMLEncoder and
    XMLDecoder classes, which are avalaible in JDK1.4.X.

    However, I need the software to work in a wide range of Java versions,
    including JDK1.2.

    Other ways I can think of solving this problem are the following:
    - Castor XML marshalling and unmarshalling. Is Castor still active?
    - Implement my own Javabean <-> DBMS/XML converter (there's no need to
    solve the whole serialization problem, just only a small subset of
    it). I'd rather avoid this approach since it may be too risky for my
    releasing schedule.
    - Use standard Java serialization (this is the way it's currently
    working), and pretend the classes being stored will never change their
    signature and become incompatible with the data stored.
    - Do the loading/storing for each entity by hand (SQL stuff,...).

    It's very important to note I don't want to solve this problem in a
    generic way, just need to provide a (optional) simple persistence
    layer to some small set of modules, which are independent among them.
    The main target is allow a faster development of these modules.

    Are there any other alternatives I should look at before start hacking
    ?

    Thanks in advance, and merry christmas to all!
    PZ

    PZ, Dec 29, 2003