    using .NET IIS 6.0 and Windows Server.

    Regards.

    Shao

    Shao, Nov 7, 2008

  2. Shao

    Larry Bates Guest

    Re: Looking for a nitty-gritty Python Ajax middleware script to fireoff a number of processors

    Shao wrote:
    > Dear All,
    >
    > I am looking for a nitty-gritty Python Ajax script to fire off a
    > number of processing programmes, periodically checking their
    > operations, sending messages back to an HTML div form by sending back
    > the links of generated data files, to be downloaded by end users. I am
    > using .NET IIS 6.0 and Windows Server.
    >
    > Regards.
    >
    > Shao

    What you are asking requires so much more information than you have provided to
    actually give you an answer I doubt you will get one. This is NOT a simple task
    but rather quite complicated. Sounds like you need something written in Twisted
    that dispatches background processes and handles the callbacks from those
    processes. Twisted Web could then update the HTML pages that users are watching
    by refreshing them periodically.

    -Larry

    Larry Bates, Nov 9, 2008

  3. Shao

    lkcl Guest

    On Nov 7, 10:38 am, Shao <> wrote:
    > Dear All,
    >
    > I am looking for a nitty-gritty Python Ajax script to fire off a
    > number of processing programmes, periodically checking their
    > operations, sending messages back to an HTML div form by sending back
    > the links of generated data files, to be downloaded by end users. I am
    > using .NET IIS 6.0 and Windows Server.

    shao, hi,

    ajax is javascript, python isn't ajax, so there's an implicit
    dichotomy in what you're asking for _but_, there is this:

    http://pyjs.org - pyjamas: a python-to-AJAX compiler and web
    framework.

    you can therefore write application front-ends in python that get
    compiled into AJAX, to run on a web browser. the standard pyjamas
    user-interface API is _very_ similar to pyqt4 and pygtk2.

    documentation online is quite comprehensive, latest addition is:
    http://pyjs.org/book/output/Bookreader.html

    that takes care of the front-end, and a description of how to use
    AJAX, including ways to use at least four different JSONRPC back-end
    server frameworks is described here:
    http://pyjs.org/book/output/Bookreader.html#Rest of the World

    the alternative is for you use a javascript-based AJAX library in
    standard HTML, from any back-end server framework of your choice,
    coding up the front-end using custom-written javascript.

    the reason you need to write it yourself is that, although many of
    the python frameworks come with a _bit_ of AJAX included, it's usually
    as part of the "admin" interface: none of the back-end server
    frameworks are sufficiently sophisticated to include the kind of
    custom functionality you require.

    except pyjamas, which is a full-on compiler, turning python code into
    AJAX code, but that's for use in the front-end.

    good luck,

    l.

    lkcl, Nov 17, 2008