Looking for a nitty-gritty Python Ajax middleware script to fire offa number of processors

Shao

Dear All,

I am looking for a nitty-gritty Python Ajax script to fire off a
number of processing programmes, periodically checking their
operations, sending messages back to an HTML div form by sending back
the links of generated data files, to be downloaded by end users. I am
using .NET IIS 6.0 and Windows Server.

Regards.

Shao

Larry Bates

Shao said:
Dear All,

I am looking for a nitty-gritty Python Ajax script to fire off a
number of processing programmes, periodically checking their
operations, sending messages back to an HTML div form by sending back
the links of generated data files, to be downloaded by end users. I am
using .NET IIS 6.0 and Windows Server.

Regards.

Shao

What you are asking requires so much more information than you have provided to
actually give you an answer I doubt you will get one. This is NOT a simple task
but rather quite complicated. Sounds like you need something written in Twisted
that dispatches background processes and handles the callbacks from those
processes. Twisted Web could then update the HTML pages that users are watching
by refreshing them periodically.

-Larry

lkcl

Dear All,

I am looking for a nitty-gritty Python Ajax script to fire off a
number of processing programmes, periodically checking their
operations, sending messages back to an HTML div form by sending back
the links of generated data files, to be downloaded by end users. I am
using .NET IIS 6.0 and Windows Server.

shao, hi,

ajax is javascript, python isn't ajax, so there's an implicit
dichotomy in what you're asking for _but_, there is this:

http://pyjs.org - pyjamas: a python-to-AJAX compiler and web
framework.

you can therefore write application front-ends in python that get
compiled into AJAX, to run on a web browser. the standard pyjamas
user-interface API is _very_ similar to pyqt4 and pygtk2.

documentation online is quite comprehensive, latest addition is:
http://pyjs.org/book/output/Bookreader.html

that takes care of the front-end, and a description of how to use
AJAX, including ways to use at least four different JSONRPC back-end
server frameworks is described here:
http://pyjs.org/book/output/Bookreader.html#Rest of the World

the alternative is for you use a javascript-based AJAX library in
standard HTML, from any back-end server framework of your choice,
coding up the front-end using custom-written javascript.

the reason you need to write it yourself is that, although many of
the python frameworks come with a _bit_ of AJAX included, it's usually
as part of the "admin" interface: none of the back-end server
frameworks are sufficiently sophisticated to include the kind of
custom functionality you require.

except pyjamas, which is a full-on compiler, turning python code into
AJAX code, but that's for use in the front-end.

good luck,

l.