Looking for "full lifecycle".....blah blah blah.

Discussion in 'Java' started by Hylander, Jan 16, 2004.

  1. Hylander

    Hylander Guest

    Does anyone else but me get tired of seeing this buzzword "full
    lifecycle" being misused? First off...it's not specific. It's more
    often than not implied that they want someone who can do the whole
    lifecycle. ie: a swiss-army-knife developer who can do the entire
    waterfall or set of iteration cycles (whichever they use). As far as
    organizing groups as a manager or director this is find but I find
    they seldom mean this. It seems they want someone who will do
    everything to include shrink wrapping and putting price stickers if
    necessary. ie: they want the writer of code to test the code too.

    I don't think it's possible (other than the very small project gig) to
    be in any kind of software shop and not have at least two IT staff in
    development: one developer and one tester/QA person. But this kind of
    thing seems pervasive to have 5 "full cycle" developers and no
    testers. (and they think it's great for their "ROI" (another cutesy
    acronym like MSRP). The magazines all drone out these crappy buzzwords
    and I think I'm in a cartoon or the forest of the knights that say
    "Neee!".

    Next time someone asks me if I do "full cycle", I'll say "yah, I'm
    taking spinning at 24 hr fitness".

    Hylander, Jan 16, 2004