looking for membership management software -- Open Source,written in Python

Laura Creighton

I'm looking for an application that handles the membership of an
organisation -- who's a member, who has paid fees, addressbook and
the odd added field.

Anybody got one they recommend?

Language does not have to be English -- we're going to have to internationalise
whatever we get in any case. Of course, if it happens to already speak
various European languages, this will be a big plus.

Thanks in advance,
Laura Creighton

miller.paul.w

I'm looking for an application that handles the membership of an
organisation -- who's a member, who has paid fees, addressbook and
the odd added field.

Anybody got one they recommend?

It sounds like you essentially need a specialized database and an app
to query the database. If this is a small organization (under 100
people, say), then the simplest solution would probably be a simple
spreadsheet. Otherwise, maybe something like Organizers' Database
(http://www.organizersdb.org/) would do the trick.

I haven't actually used this software, but it looks like it's made to
do exactly what you want to do.

Hope that helps!

miller.paul.w

I forgot to ask: what's your target platform? I mentioned Organizer's
Database, but it only runs on Windows. If you need a Linux or OS X
solution, then I can make another suggestion. :)

Laura Creighton

In said:
It sounds like you essentially need a specialized database and an app
to query the database. If this is a small organization (under 100
people, say), then the simplest solution would probably be a simple
spreadsheet. Otherwise, maybe something like Organizers' Database
(http://www.organizersdb.org/) would do the trick.

We're bigger than this, and are very much in the 'we are way too big to
be a spreadsheet any more' phase.
I haven't actually used this software, but it looks like it's made to
do exactly what you want to do.

Indeed, but being powered by Drupal makes it a PHP system, and
I don't think I can get our security guys to go for that. And it
only runs on windows; they're not going to be happy about that either.
Hope that helps!

Yes, it did. Thank you very much,

Laura

Laura Creighton

In said:
I forgot to ask: what's your target platform? I mentioned Organizer's
Database, but it only runs on Windows. If you need a Linux or OS X
solution, then I can make another suggestion. :)

Ah, FreeBSD would be the best -- as in making our sysadmins very, very
happy but linux would also be very acceptable, and probably OS X as well.
But PHP is probably not.

Thanks again,
Laura

Rick Kwan

Ah, FreeBSD would be the best -- as in making our sysadmins very, very
happy but linux would also be very acceptable, and probably OS X as well.
But PHP is probably not.

Thanks again,
Laura

I've been up against similar issues. I handle records for a 1,300-
member chapter of a 30,000-member organization. So my original data
comes from the national organization as an Excel spreadsheet --
actually an pseudo-XML copy of the spreadsheet.

The first step I do is convert it into a file of tab-separated values
(TSVs, not CSVs) through use of the HTMLParser module. From there,
I've built a series of Python scripts to generate e-mail lists,
mailing labels (with the help of C program), identify senior members
and fellows, etc.

None of it is web-accessible yet. For me, I'd want to give certain
officers or committee chairs the ability to grab subsets of data on
their own, or allow them to send mail to their specific subset of the
membership.