Looking for *simple* MP3 playing java applet

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Paul Jones, Oct 16, 2006.

  1. Paul Jones

    Paul Jones Guest

    Hi,

    I'm looking for a small & simple platform-independent java applet to
    run from an html web page so that I can offer users the ability to
    choose & listen to one or more MP3 tracks.

    It's also vital that I can control the applet through javascript from
    the same html page in which the java applet is embedded.

    I found an *almost* ideal player called TinyPlayer from JZoom but it
    does not seem to allow me to change the loaded MP3 which is crucial.

    I've found several other java MP3 applets but they are all far too
    large and complex for my needs.

    Thanks in advance,
    Paul

    Paul Jones, Oct 16, 2006

  2. Paul Jones wrote:
    > I'm looking for a small & simple platform-independent java applet to
    > run from an html web page so that I can offer users the ability to
    > choose & listen to one or more MP3 tracks.

    Google "java mp3 player download free"

    You also might want to try the same search but for Flash rather than
    java.

    Or just put links to the mp3's and let the visitor decide how they want
    to play it.

    Travis Newbury, Oct 17, 2006

  3. Paul Jones

    Paul Jones Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:

    > Google "java mp3 player download free"

    Curiously enough, I've already tried that but nothing I can find comes
    close to meeting my requirements.

    > You also might want to try the same search but for Flash rather than
    > java.

    I turn Flash support off myself, so it's a fair bet that plenty of
    other people do this as well. Also how platform dependent is Flash? Is
    it available to Linux and Unix users?

    > Or just put links to the mp3's and let the visitor decide how they want
    > to play it.

    That would destroy the whole look and feel that I'm trying to develop.
    I want everything to run from one html page via straight-forward
    left-clicks or just clicks if they're using Apple-Macs or other single
    mouse button platforms.

    Thanks,
    Paul

    Paul Jones, Oct 17, 2006
  4. Paul Jones wrote:
    > > You also might want to try the same search but for Flash rather than
    > > java.

    > I turn Flash support off myself, so it's a fair bet that plenty of
    > other people do this as well. Also how platform dependent is Flash? Is
    > it available to Linux and Unix users?

    Bad assumption about "plenty of other people do too" Flash is pretty
    much available for all browsers. I also think you will find out if you
    do some investigating, that people that come to sites that have
    interaction on them (like you want on your site) usually have flash
    turned on, or will turn it on to enjoy the interaction.

    > > Or just put links to the mp3's and let the visitor decide how they want
    > > to play it.

    > That would destroy the whole look and feel that I'm trying to develop.

    Then you have a decision to make. The fancier you get the less people
    will be able to enjoy your site.

    > I want everything to run from one html page via straight-forward
    > left-clicks or just clicks if they're using Apple-Macs or other single
    > mouse button platforms.

    You need to revisit flash.

    Travis Newbury, Oct 17, 2006
  5. Paul Jones

    Ed Seedhouse Guest

    On 17 Oct 2006 09:14:27 -0700, "Travis Newbury"
    <> wrote:

    >Bad assumption about "plenty of other people do too" Flash is pretty
    >much available for all browsers.

    "Available" does not equal "installed". As a matter of fact no browser
    I know of comes with flash installed. Flash will thus not be available
    unless the user has already installed it. Judging by the non-geeks I
    know that will be quite a small group among actual normal people.

    Er, you are interested in actual normal people using your web site, are
    you not?

    Ed Seedhouse, Oct 17, 2006
  6. "Travis Newbury" <> wrote in message
    > Paul Jones wrote:
    > > > You also might want to try the same search but for Flash rather than
    > > > java.

    > > I turn Flash support off myself, so it's a fair bet that plenty of
    > > other people do this as well. Also how platform dependent is Flash? Is
    > > it available to Linux and Unix users?

    > Bad assumption about "plenty of other people do too" Flash is pretty
    > much available for all browsers. I also think you will find out if you
    > do some investigating, that people that come to sites that have
    > interaction on them (like you want on your site) usually have flash
    > turned on, or will turn it on to enjoy the interaction.
    >
    > > > Or just put links to the mp3's and let the visitor decide how they

    want
    > > > to play it.

    > > That would destroy the whole look and feel that I'm trying to develop.

    > Then you have a decision to make. The fancier you get the less people
    > will be able to enjoy your site.
    >
    > > I want everything to run from one html page via straight-forward
    > > left-clicks or just clicks if they're using Apple-Macs or other single
    > > mouse button platforms.

    > You need to revisit flash.

    or take a visit to here.
    http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm#audiovideo

    nagasaki mike, Oct 17, 2006
  7. Paul Jones

    Paul Jones Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:

    > You need to revisit flash.

    One of the problems that I personally have with Flash is that it lays
    you open to looking at a lot of very invasive advertising, often with
    annoying moving images. It also means that you have to watch, or
    explicitly turn off, an intro on lots of web sites. I'm clearly at odds
    with a lot of people here on this, but I'm not going going to write for
    a system that I personally dislike and I'm not going to write a web
    site that I can't view on my own system.

    Another web site of mine has an average of nearly 3,000 page views per
    day. My tracker for this site keeps a record of what plugins my
    visitors have installed and the results are as follows:

    1. Dynamic HTML Binding 66.7 %
    2. Windows Media Services 63.3 %
    3. No plug-ins measured 30.0 %
    4. Shockwave Flash 6.7 %
    5. Shockwave for Director 6.7 %
    6. RealPlayer 3.3 %
    7. QuickTime 3.3 %

    It appears that it is really not true that most people have Flash
    installed.

    Take care,
    Paul

    Paul Jones, Oct 18, 2006
  8. Paul Jones

    Paul Jones Guest

    One solution that I have thought of, but was reluctant to use, is to
    wrap the MP3s in zip files and link to those on the Download buttons.
    This seems to work fine but, obviously, gives the user the problem with
    having to unzip the mp3s when they get them onto their computer.

    Take care,
    Paul

    Paul Jones, Oct 18, 2006
  9. Ed Seedhouse wrote:
    > >Bad assumption about "plenty of other people do too" Flash is pretty
    > >much available for all browsers.

    > "Available" does not equal "installed"....

    Yea what ever...

    > Er, you are interested in actual normal people using your web site, are
    > you not?

    Define "normal people"

    Travis Newbury, Oct 18, 2006
  10. Paul Jones wrote:
    > > You need to revisit flash.

    > One of the problems that I personally have with Flash is that it lays
    > you open to looking at a lot of very invasive advertising, often with
    > annoying moving images.

    Yea, there is a lot of abuse.

    > It also means that you have to watch, or
    > explicitly turn off, an intro on lots of web sites. I'm clearly at odds
    > with a lot of people here on this, but I'm not going going to write for
    > a system that I personally dislike and I'm not going to write a web
    > site that I can't view on my own system.

    No disagreement here. And if a site has too much of that crap, I leave
    and never go back. But, I don't shoot the messenger just because I
    don't like a few of the messages.

    > Another web site of mine has an average of nearly 3,000 page views per
    > day.

    The data below is meaningless for any site but that one. This same
    tracking done for www.saw3.com would yield totally different results.

    > My tracker for this site keeps a record of what plugins my
    > visitors have installed and the results are as follows:
    >
    > 1. Dynamic HTML Binding 66.7 %
    > 2. Windows Media Services 63.3 %
    > 3. No plug-ins measured 30.0 %
    > 4. Shockwave Flash 6.7 %
    > 5. Shockwave for Director 6.7 %
    > 6. RealPlayer 3.3 %
    > 7. QuickTime 3.3 %
    >
    > It appears that it is really not true that most people have Flash
    > installed.

    Based on visitors to that site. For all I know it could be
    www.pluginhaters.com....

    The OP wants to present music to the visitor in a player. The content
    (the music) and the presentation (the web page and player) are to be
    merged into a single entity. So right off the top the OP is saying "I
    don't care that there may be a few people that can not see it" If
    people coming to his site are there to listen to his music, then they
    will turn on Flash or Java, or what ever else is needed to listen. Or
    they will leave. If the number of people that listen is satisfactory,
    then the number that leave is irrelevant to the success of the site.

    Robert Montgomery (CEO CareerBuilder) said it best. "If you can please
    80% of your visitors, then you have mastered the web". Since pleasing
    100% is impossible, I completely agree with this.

    You do what works best for your website. If that is a link to the
    music, then do that. If it is a Flash heavy site that has a branded
    music or video player, then do that. It is different for every site.

    Travis Newbury, Oct 18, 2006
  11. Paul Jones

    Ed Seedhouse Guest

    On 18 Oct 2006 02:58:39 -0700, "Travis Newbury"
    <> wrote:

    >Ed Seedhouse wrote:
    >> >Bad assumption about "plenty of other people do too" Flash is pretty
    >> >much available for all browsers.

    >> "Available" does not equal "installed"....

    >Yea what ever...
    >
    >> Er, you are interested in actual normal people using your web site, are
    >> you not?

    >Define "normal people"

    No.

    Ed Seedhouse, Oct 18, 2006
  12. Paul Jones

    wayne Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:
    > Paul Jones wrote:

    > The data below is meaningless for any site but that one. This same
    > tracking done for www.saw3.com would yield totally different results.

    I wonder if the fact that it is a flash site would tend to give
    different results? I agree with Paul, flash sucks.

    --
    Wayne
    http://www.glenmeadows.us

    wayne, Oct 20, 2006
  13. Paul Jones

    Paul Jones Guest

    wayne wrote:

    > With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things
    > and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil
    > things, that takes religion.
    > -Steven Weinberg

    I love this quotation - I've emailed it to lots of friends.

    Thanks,
    Paul

    Paul Jones, Oct 20, 2006
  14. Paul Jones

    wayne Guest

    Paul Jones wrote:
    > wayne wrote:
    >
    >> With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things
    >> and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil
    >> things, that takes religion.
    >> -Steven Weinberg

    > I love this quotation - I've emailed it to lots of friends.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Paul

    Glad you like it. I like most quotations of Thomas Jefferson too.

    wayne, Oct 20, 2006
  15. wayne wrote:
    > > The data below is meaningless for any site but that one. This same
    > > tracking done for www.saw3.com would yield totally different results.

    > I wonder if the fact that it is a flash site would tend to give
    > different results? I agree with Paul, flash sucks.

    And you are welcome to your opinion.

    Travis Newbury, Oct 20, 2006