looking to find out how to write equally columns on a page

Discussion in 'HTML' started by repairs, Jul 19, 2005.

  1. repairs

    repairs Guest

    Hi
    I use front page express as I have found it easy to use and a reliable
    product....and I have it!

    I need to write a newspaper like newsletter with two columns of data,
    equally space--like in newspaper columns- and do not know how.

    If anyone can assist, I would really appreciate it.

    Thanks In Advance
    Joe
    repairs, Jul 19, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. repairs wrote:

    > Hi
    > I use front page express as I have found it easy to use and a reliable
    > product....and I have it!
    >
    > I need to write a newspaper like newsletter with two columns of data,
    > equally space--like in newspaper columns- and do not know how.
    >
    > If anyone can assist, I would really appreciate it.
    >
    > Thanks In Advance
    > Joe

    Dear Joe:

    First search this newsgroup with the word 'column'. This question has
    been answered *numerous* times. Then if you still have difficulties, we
    can help you with your specific problem.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 19, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. repairs

    repairs Guest

    When I search using 'column' all that comes up is my message!
    Maybe it is my news server, but there are no others.
    I apologize if this is an old issue.
    I appreciate any assistance with this matter.
    Thanks
    joe

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 14:16:47 GMT, "Jonathan N. Little"
    <> wrote:

    >repairs wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> I use front page express as I have found it easy to use and a reliable
    >> product....and I have it!
    >>
    >> I need to write a newspaper like newsletter with two columns of data,
    >> equally space--like in newspaper columns- and do not know how.
    >>
    >> If anyone can assist, I would really appreciate it.
    >>
    >> Thanks In Advance
    >> Joe

    >Dear Joe:
    >
    >First search this newsgroup with the word 'column'. This question has
    >been answered *numerous* times. Then if you still have difficulties, we
    >can help you with your specific problem.
    repairs, Jul 19, 2005
    #3
  4. repairs wrote:
    > I need to write a newspaper like newsletter with two columns of data,
    > equally space--like in newspaper columns- and do not know how.


    Not enough info. Do you want to manually do it with FP? Do you want
    to do it on the fly with a server script? How many columns? Do they
    have to be the same height? Where is the data for the columns coming
    from? A text file? A table in a database?

    (Oh, and don't get into a flaming war with everyone that tells you that
    FP stinks. It does no one any good)

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Jul 19, 2005
    #4
  5. repairs

    repairs Guest

    Don't know enough about flaming, but i do know that I like FPE ...

    I have two columns of data and want them side by side with spacing
    even both top to bottom and side by side.
    I have the thing done 'properly' in a Word Document but cannot just
    copy and paste into front page express.
    I have tried it with a table but the top line spacing/alignment is not
    the same--does not allow/permit the first line to be at the position
    number one on line number one in both columns--even if I manually
    enter. The 'margins' seem to adjust until the data reaches it and
    then the cursor moves to the next line thereby 'adjusting' the other
    column.

    Sounds goofy, but it is probably me.
    this is just a text file and I will enter it manually again, if
    necessary.
    If I copy and paste I need to deal with the yellow tags.....

    I appreciate the time.
    Joe

    On 19 Jul 2005 07:42:59 -0700, "Travis Newbury"
    <> wrote:

    >repairs wrote:
    >> I need to write a newspaper like newsletter with two columns of data,
    >> equally space--like in newspaper columns- and do not know how.

    >
    >Not enough info. Do you want to manually do it with FP? Do you want
    >to do it on the fly with a server script? How many columns? Do they
    >have to be the same height? Where is the data for the columns coming
    >from? A text file? A table in a database?
    >
    >(Oh, and don't get into a flaming war with everyone that tells you that
    >FP stinks. It does no one any good)
    repairs, Jul 19, 2005
    #5
  6. repairs wrote:

    > Don't know enough about flaming, but i do know that I like FPE ...
    >
    > I have two columns of data and want them side by side with spacing
    > even both top to bottom and side by side.
    > I have the thing done 'properly' in a Word Document but cannot just
    > copy and paste into front page express.
    > I have tried it with a table but the top line spacing/alignment is not
    > the same--does not allow/permit the first line to be at the position
    > number one on line number one in both columns--even if I manually
    > enter. The 'margins' seem to adjust until the data reaches it and
    > then the cursor moves to the next line thereby 'adjusting' the other
    > column.
    >
    > Sounds goofy, but it is probably me.
    > this is just a text file and I will enter it manually again, if
    > necessary.
    > If I copy and paste I need to deal with the yellow tags.....
    >
    > I appreciate the time.
    > Joe
    >


    Hi Joe:

    usually it is a good idea to bottom-post with only the related part of
    previous thread in place (and rest snipped).

    IIRC, once I exported a word-document as an HTML document. When you
    click on Save-as in MS word, you can choose the option to be HTML file
    and see if it works for you.

    Best regards,
    Animesh

    <snip>
    Animesh Kumar, Jul 19, 2005
    #6
  7. Animesh Kumar wrote:

    > IIRC, once I exported a word-document as an HTML document. When you
    > click on Save-as in MS word, you can choose the option to be HTML file
    > and see if it works for you.


    Ever *looked* at one of those files?

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Killing all Usenet posts from Google Groups
    Info: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    *ALSO contains links for access to the NON-BETA GG archive interface*
    Blinky the Shark, Jul 19, 2005
    #7
  8. Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Animesh Kumar wrote:
    >
    >
    >>IIRC, once I exported a word-document as an HTML document. When you
    >>click on Save-as in MS word, you can choose the option to be HTML file
    >>and see if it works for you.

    >
    >
    > Ever *looked* at one of those files?
    >

    <grins> No! But FPE mess wouldn't be any better either.

    Best
    A
    Animesh Kumar, Jul 19, 2005
    #8
  9. Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Animesh Kumar wrote:
    >
    >
    >>IIRC, once I exported a word-document as an HTML document. When you
    >>click on Save-as in MS word, you can choose the option to be HTML file
    >>and see if it works for you.

    >
    >
    > Ever *looked* at one of those files?
    >


    I did right now. Whew! It is worse than Front-Page junk.

    http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~animesh/files/animesh_resume.htm

    Have a look at the view-source and you will know what I mean (or perhaps
    I am facing what you mean :) ).

    Though, I must confess this resume is *very tabular* with lots of
    indentations. That could be one reason for the dirt-bag. It may not be
    as bad with 2-column MS-Word document (worth a try, I think).

    Best regards,
    Animesh
    Animesh Kumar, Jul 19, 2005
    #9
  10. Animesh Kumar wrote:

    >>>IIRC, once I exported a word-document as an HTML document. When you
    >>>click on Save-as in MS word, you can choose the option to be HTML file
    >>>and see if it works for you.


    >> Ever *looked* at one of those files?


    > <grins> No! But FPE mess wouldn't be any better either.


    Actually, FPE is probably rather better - I don't think its been developed
    for years so it probably predates Microsoft's insane HTML export filters.

    --
    David Dorward <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/> <http://dorward.me.uk/>
    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Jul 19, 2005
    #10
  11. Animesh Kumar wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:


    >> Animesh Kumar wrote:


    >>>IIRC, once I exported a word-document as an HTML document. When you
    >>>click on Save-as in MS word, you can choose the option to be HTML file
    >>>and see if it works for you.


    >> Ever *looked* at one of those files?


    > I did right now. Whew! It is worse than Front-Page junk.


    > http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~animesh/files/animesh_resume.htm


    > Have a look at the view-source and you will know what I mean (or perhaps
    > I am facing what you mean :) ).


    I already know; thus my question. :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Killing all Usenet posts from Google Groups
    Info: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    *ALSO contains links for access to the NON-BETA GG archive interface*
    Blinky the Shark, Jul 19, 2005
    #11
  12. repairs

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Blinky the Shark <>
    >
    > Animesh Kumar wrote:
    >
    >> IIRC, once I exported a word-document as an HTML document. When you
    >> click on Save-as in MS word, you can choose the option to be HTML file
    >> and see if it works for you.

    >
    > Ever *looked* at one of those files?
    >

    Good point and it stops me from using the function any more (except for one
    doc - one webpage - that I have not got around to changing). But on my
    machines at least it always seems to work brilliantly. If I "knew" that such
    horrible code actually worked for everyone likely to see my websites, i
    might just say stuff the aesthetics and just use it. (I am talking
    generally, I don't know what it does with columns and how it would handle
    the variations in font size as set by user)

    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 20, 2005
    #12
  13. repairs

    repairs Guest

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:33:46 -0700, Animesh Kumar
    <> wrote:

    >repairs wrote:
    >
    >> Don't know enough about flaming, but i do know that I like FPE ...
    >>
    >> I have two columns of data and want them side by side with spacing
    >> even both top to bottom and side by side..............


    >
    >IIRC, once I exported a word-document as an HTML document. When you
    >click on Save-as in MS word, you can choose the option to be HTML file
    >and see if it works for you.
    >


    Does not do it---moves it all in line in one column....
    I appreciate the reply.
    Joe

    >Best regards,
    >Animesh
    >
    ><snip>
    repairs, Jul 20, 2005
    #13
  14. repairs

    repairs Guest

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 21:52:21 +0100, David Dorward <>
    wrote:

    >Animesh Kumar wrote:
    >
    >>>>IIRC, once I exported a word-document as an HTML document. When you
    >>>>click on Save-as in MS word, you can choose the option to be HTML file
    >>>>and see if it works for you.

    >
    >>> Ever *looked* at one of those files?

    >
    >> <grins> No! But FPE mess wouldn't be any better either.

    >
    >Actually, FPE is probably rather better - I don't think its been developed
    >for years so it probably predates Microsoft's insane HTML export filters.

    .....
    Actually, you are right as far as I am concerned...plain, simple but
    difficult to do certain things, like aling two columns of data.
    Joe
    repairs, Jul 20, 2005
    #14
  15. repairs

    repairs Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:50:24 +1000, dorayme <>
    wrote:

    >> From: Blinky the Shark <>
    >>
    >> Animesh Kumar wrote:
    >>
    >>> IIRC, once I exported a word-document as an HTML document. When you
    >>> click on Save-as in MS word, you can choose the option to be HTML file
    >>> and see if it works for you.

    >>
    >> Ever *looked* at one of those files?
    >>

    >Good point and it stops me from using the function any more (except for one
    >doc - one webpage - that I have not got around to changing). But on my
    >machines at least it always seems to work brilliantly. If I "knew" that such
    >horrible code actually worked for everyone likely to see my websites, i
    >might just say stuff the aesthetics and just use it. (I am talking
    >generally, I don't know what it does with columns and how it would handle
    >the variations in font size as set by user)
    >
    >dorayme

    you are right on target...columns just don't seem to be possible. I
    have tried tables and it is pretty close...if you really don't care
    about alignment .
    Joe
    repairs, Jul 20, 2005
    #15
  16. repairs wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:33:46 -0700, Animesh Kumar
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>repairs wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Don't know enough about flaming, but i do know that I like FPE ...
    >>>
    >>>I have two columns of data and want them side by side with spacing
    >>>even both top to bottom and side by side..............

    >
    >
    >>IIRC, once I exported a word-document as an HTML document. When you
    >>click on Save-as in MS word, you can choose the option to be HTML file
    >>and see if it works for you.
    >>

    >
    >
    > Does not do it---moves it all in line in one column....
    > I appreciate the reply.
    > Joe
    >
    >
    >>Best regards,
    >>Animesh
    >>
    >><snip>

    >
    >


    Now tell me, How many two-column pages are u going to make? If it just
    one or a few, use a two column DIV approach (CSS style). One example is
    here:

    http://www.mandarindesign.com/2004/01/test-1.html

    Best regards,
    Animesh
    Animesh Kumar, Jul 21, 2005
    #16
  17. repairs

    Guest

    repairs wrote:
    > Don't know enough about flaming, but i do know that I like FPE ...
    >
    > I have two columns of data and want them side by side with spacing
    > even both top to bottom and side by side. [...]
    > I have tried it with a table but the top line spacing/alignment is not
    > the same--does not allow/permit the first line to be at the position
    > number one on line number one in both columns--even if I manually
    > enter. The 'margins' seem to adjust until the data reaches it and
    > then the cursor moves to the next line thereby 'adjusting' the other
    > column.
    >
    > Sounds goofy, but it is probably me.
    > this is just a text file and I will enter it manually again, if
    > necessary.
    > If I copy and paste I need to deal with the yellow tags.....
    >
    > I appreciate the time.
    > Joe
    >
    > On 19 Jul 2005 07:42:59 -0700, "Travis Newbury"
    > <> wrote:
    > >(Oh, and don't get into a flaming war with everyone that tells you that
    > >FP stinks. It does no one any good)


    I'm not going to get into an FP flamewar, but I will say that this post
    would be a lot easier to help with if we were talking about code rather
    than what the syptoms look like in FP. Any chance the website is up
    somewhere we can see it, or that you can post the offending code?
    , Jul 22, 2005
    #17
  18. repairs

    repairs Guest

    Hello and Thanks to All who posted help.
    I appreciate it.

    I wanted to be sure all knew it was Front Page Express and not Front
    Page though.

    It seemed too 'goofy' for FPE...I moved the code to netscape composer
    and it seems to be able to accommodate what I needed to do.

    I have the example at www.route9w.com/venluejoe.htm for reference.
    We/I are/am generally happy with the result.

    Of course the only(or one of the main)problem, is that none of the
    bookmarks/anchors on the page will work in IE.....if that is an easy
    one to solve, I could use the resolution.

    Again, Thanks to All!

    Joe
    repairs, Jul 23, 2005
    #18
  19. repairs

    repairs Guest

    >
    >Of course the only(or one of the main)problem, is that none of the
    >bookmarks/anchors on the page will work in IE.....if that is an easy
    >one to solve, I could use the resolution.
    >

    ...Figured it out--Again, Thanks to all for the help.

    Anyone have positive comments about using Mozilla Composer?

    Joe
    repairs, Jul 24, 2005
    #19
  20. repairs wrote:

    >>Of course the only(or one of the main)problem, is that none of the
    >>bookmarks/anchors on the page will work in IE.....if that is an easy
    >>one to solve, I could use the resolution.
    >>

    >
    > ..Figured it out--Again, Thanks to all for the help.
    >
    > Anyone have positive comments about using Mozilla Composer?
    >
    > Joe


    It free and comes with Moz Suite. Renders with Gecko...


    Might prefer NVu, a standalone version with more features www.nvu.com,
    it is also free to use...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 24, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. TheOne
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,486
    Marcin Grunwald
    Mar 10, 2005
  2. Dr_Locke_Z2A

    open source pong or equally simple game

    Dr_Locke_Z2A, Dec 22, 2005, in forum: C Programming
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    442
    Chuck F.
    Dec 23, 2005
  3. Steven D'Aprano
    Replies:
    24
    Views:
    895
    Terry Reedy
    Sep 26, 2011
  4. Markus Fischer
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    502
    Josh Cheek
    Jun 15, 2011
  5. Jean Dubois
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    140
    Dave Angel
    Dec 18, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page