looking to find out how to write equally columns on a page

repairs

Hi
I use front page express as I have found it easy to use and a reliable
product....and I have it!

I need to write a newspaper like newsletter with two columns of data,
equally space--like in newspaper columns- and do not know how.

If anyone can assist, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks In Advance
Joe

Jonathan N. Little

repairs said:
Hi
I use front page express as I have found it easy to use and a reliable
product....and I have it!

I need to write a newspaper like newsletter with two columns of data,
equally space--like in newspaper columns- and do not know how.

If anyone can assist, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks In Advance
Joe
Dear Joe:

First search this newsgroup with the word 'column'. This question has
been answered *numerous* times. Then if you still have difficulties, we
can help you with your specific problem.

repairs

When I search using 'column' all that comes up is my message!
Maybe it is my news server, but there are no others.
I apologize if this is an old issue.
I appreciate any assistance with this matter.
Thanks
joe

Travis Newbury

repairs said:
I need to write a newspaper like newsletter with two columns of data,
equally space--like in newspaper columns- and do not know how.

Not enough info. Do you want to manually do it with FP? Do you want
to do it on the fly with a server script? How many columns? Do they
have to be the same height? Where is the data for the columns coming
from? A text file? A table in a database?

(Oh, and don't get into a flaming war with everyone that tells you that
FP stinks. It does no one any good)

repairs

Don't know enough about flaming, but i do know that I like FPE ...

I have two columns of data and want them side by side with spacing
even both top to bottom and side by side.
I have the thing done 'properly' in a Word Document but cannot just
copy and paste into front page express.
I have tried it with a table but the top line spacing/alignment is not
the same--does not allow/permit the first line to be at the position
number one on line number one in both columns--even if I manually
enter. The 'margins' seem to adjust until the data reaches it and
then the cursor moves to the next line thereby 'adjusting' the other
column.

Sounds goofy, but it is probably me.
this is just a text file and I will enter it manually again, if
necessary.
If I copy and paste I need to deal with the yellow tags.....

I appreciate the time.
Joe

Animesh Kumar

repairs said:
[...]

Hi Joe:

usually it is a good idea to bottom-post with only the related part of

IIRC, once I exported a word-document as an HTML document. When you
click on Save-as in MS word, you can choose the option to be HTML file
and see if it works for you.

Best regards,
Animesh

<snip>

Blinky the Shark

Animesh said:
IIRC, once I exported a word-document as an HTML document. When you
click on Save-as in MS word, you can choose the option to be HTML file
and see if it works for you.

Ever *looked* at one of those files?

Animesh Kumar

Blinky said:
Animesh Kumar wrote:

Ever *looked* at one of those files?

I did right now. Whew! It is worse than Front-Page junk.

http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~animesh/files/animesh_resume.htm

Have a look at the view-source and you will know what I mean (or perhaps
I am facing what you mean :) ).

Though, I must confess this resume is *very tabular* with lots of
indentations. That could be one reason for the dirt-bag. It may not be
as bad with 2-column MS-Word document (worth a try, I think).

Best regards,
Animesh

David Dorward

<grins> No! But FPE mess wouldn't be any better either.

Actually, FPE is probably rather better - I don't think its been developed
for years so it probably predates Microsoft's insane HTML export filters.

Blinky the Shark

Animesh said:
Blinky the Shark wrote:
I did right now. Whew! It is worse than Front-Page junk.

Have a look at the view-source and you will know what I mean (or perhaps
I am facing what you mean :) ).

I already know; thus my question. :)

dorayme

From: Blinky the Shark said:
Ever *looked* at one of those files?
Good point and it stops me from using the function any more (except for one
doc - one webpage - that I have not got around to changing). But on my
machines at least it always seems to work brilliantly. If I "knew" that such
horrible code actually worked for everyone likely to see my websites, i
might just say stuff the aesthetics and just use it. (I am talking
generally, I don't know what it does with columns and how it would handle
the variations in font size as set by user)

dorayme

repairs

IIRC, once I exported a word-document as an HTML document. When you
click on Save-as in MS word, you can choose the option to be HTML file
and see if it works for you.

Does not do it---moves it all in line in one column....
I appreciate the reply.
Joe

repairs

Actually, FPE is probably rather better - I don't think its been developed
for years so it probably predates Microsoft's insane HTML export filters.
Actually, you are right as far as I am concerned...plain, simple but
difficult to do certain things, like aling two columns of data.
Joe

repairs

Good point and it stops me from using the function any more (except for one
doc - one webpage - that I have not got around to changing). But on my
machines at least it always seems to work brilliantly. If I "knew" that such
horrible code actually worked for everyone likely to see my websites, i
might just say stuff the aesthetics and just use it. (I am talking
generally, I don't know what it does with columns and how it would handle
the variations in font size as set by user)

dorayme
you are right on target...columns just don't seem to be possible. I
have tried tables and it is pretty close...if you really don't care
about alignment .
Joe

chrcollins

repairs said:
[...]

I'm not going to get into an FP flamewar, but I will say that this post
would be a lot easier to help with if we were talking about code rather
than what the syptoms look like in FP. Any chance the website is up
somewhere we can see it, or that you can post the offending code?

repairs

Hello and Thanks to All who posted help.
I appreciate it.

I wanted to be sure all knew it was Front Page Express and not Front
Page though.

It seemed too 'goofy' for FPE...I moved the code to netscape composer
and it seems to be able to accommodate what I needed to do.

I have the example at www.route9w.com/venluejoe.htm for reference.
We/I are/am generally happy with the result.

Of course the only(or one of the main)problem, is that none of the
bookmarks/anchors on the page will work in IE.....if that is an easy
one to solve, I could use the resolution.

Again, Thanks to All!

Joe

repairs

Of course the only(or one of the main)problem, is that none of the
bookmarks/anchors on the page will work in IE.....if that is an easy
one to solve, I could use the resolution.
...Figured it out--Again, Thanks to all for the help.

Anyone have positive comments about using Mozilla Composer?

Joe

Jonathan N. Little

repairs said:
..Figured it out--Again, Thanks to all for the help.

Anyone have positive comments about using Mozilla Composer?

Joe

It free and comes with Moz Suite. Renders with Gecko...

Might prefer NVu, a standalone version with more features www.nvu.com,
it is also free to use...