Lookup Data

Guest

Hello,

I have a page with a datagrid. The datagrid has a column called Employee
Name. This column is for display purposes. However, in edit mode (including
making additions) the user will need to be allowed to lookup an employee.

Therefore, in edit mode there will need to be a textbox. The user should be
able to enter a person's name in whole or in part. If in part then a lookup
will need to be done. If during the lookup multiple people are found (i.e.
user just enters the last name "Smith") a lookup in grid format will need to
appear allowing the user to select the employee they need. Upon selection the
employee id and name will need to be passed back to the text box in the grid
so that when an update button is clicked the id will be updated or inserted.

Can someone tell me what the best way to accomplish this would be? I've
tried modal dialog with a lookup grid in it. That gets a bit nasty though.
I'm looking for elegance and proper design.

Thanks

Guest

Hi Demetri,

In past projects I've used the 3rd party control at http://dbcombo.net/ to
perform this kind of functionality. I'm sure there are heaps of similar
controls available that are as good or better or free. Just consider the
possibility of purchasing the functionality instead of struggling to
implement it yourself.

Cheers,
Gwynn