Losing a session variable

Abbas

Hi,

Currently there is a web user that always gets an error on our
application due to a missing session variable. All other session
variables are still in tact, but this one seems to disappear and hence
the user can no longer access everything on the site.

Any ideas as to where this value goes? I've checked my ASP code and
saw nothing that would re-set this variable's value. Moreover, only 2
users experience this problem

Any input would be much appreciated.

Mark Rae

Currently there is a web user that always gets an error on our
application due to a missing session variable. All other session
variables are still in tact, but this one seems to disappear and hence
the user can no longer access everything on the site.

Any ideas as to where this value goes? I've checked my ASP code and
saw nothing that would re-set this variable's value. Moreover, only 2
users experience this problem

Any input would be much appreciated.

Well, first things first... is there anything different about these two
users...?

Abbas

Well, first things first... is there anything different about these two
users...?

It's something that I've tried to look into already but not that I can
tell, what myself and one other person noticed is that there is an
ampersand in the company name in the user's profile...here is a
snippet of a sample user profile session var. But then there other
accounts with an ampersand and we haven't received any errors from
them.

<user-profile><user-id>099999</user-id><name>The User</
name><company>Test & Tester</company>....

Abbas

It's something that I've tried to look into already but not that I can
tell, what myself and one other person noticed is that there is an
ampersand in the company name in the user's profile...here is a
snippet of a sample user profile session var. But then there other
accounts with an ampersand and we haven't received any errors from
them.

<user-profile><user-id>099999</user-id><name>The User</
name><company>Test & Tester</company>....

Actually looking a little closer I see other values missing as well,
they are not the cause of the error, but they arent there either

Abbas

I've tried impersonting one of the users on the production site....I
can't replicate the problem!? Could it be a browser-specific setting
that would cause something like this? Altho I would think it would
knock out all session values.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran_Andersson?=

Abbas said:
It's something that I've tried to look into already but not that I can
tell, what myself and one other person noticed is that there is an
ampersand in the company name in the user's profile...here is a
snippet of a sample user profile session var. But then there other
accounts with an ampersand and we haven't received any errors from
them.

<user-profile><user-id>099999</user-id><name>The User</
name><company>Test & Tester</company>....

That code is not correctly encoded. You need to encode the & character:

<user-profile><user-id>099999</user-id><name>The

Mark Rae

I've tried impersonting one of the users on the production site....I
can't replicate the problem!? Could it be a browser-specific setting
that would cause something like this? Altho I would think it would
knock out all session values.

I think it's a combination of browser and the fact that your XML is not
encoded correctly - see Göran's post...

Some browsers (e.g. IE) are very much more forgiving with markup which is
not XHTML-compliant - others are not:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/guidelines.html#C_12

Abbas

I think it's a combination of browser and the fact that your XML is not
encoded correctly - see Göran's post...

Some browsers (e.g. IE) are very much more forgiving with markup which is
not XHTML-compliant - others are not:http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/guidelines.html#C_12

The XML is encoded correctly, I just put Test & Tester myself, thats
obviously not the clients name. But I did test to check the user
profile session value just to make sure and it does come back as &amp;