Lost intellisense for web.config in vs2008/vista after Sql server auto update ?

WT

Hello,

Any .config file open black/white, no more intellisense since windows
update updated sql server 2005 express ???
I have tryed repairing .net 3.5 and devenv / ResetSettings but no change.

I would avoid reinstalling as i am already very busy .

Thanks for help.

CS

Juan T. Llibre

Check the namespace declaration for the configuration section.

Some tools (like the Web Configuration Tool)
add this configuration everytime they edit the file :

<configuration xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">

That breaks the intellisense.
To correct it, and regain intellisense, edit the namespace declaration to remove the schema reference:

<configuration >

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi,

What John said is one possible reason. This KB article has more detailed
information.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917238

Please have a try to see if it can fix this issue.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

(e-mail address removed).

WT

Thanks for answer but this is not for my problem,

In fact it appears thta this install of sql server update has broken vs2008
preference.
When I open the Tools>Options>Text Editor>C#>XML>Formating
I get a message: 'an error occured loading this property page'

I am 100% sure it is related to this windows update action because since
many days everything was ok.

I will setup again vs2001+Sp1, I think that MS has to better check its
updates before sending them....

CS

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi,

It looks very strange. Are you using VS2008 SP1? Could you try to repair
the Visual Studio by "Add/Remove Programs" to see if it works?

Could you tell us what the updates are that caused this problem? If you
cannot remember it you can provide the latest ones that may probably cause
this issue. In addition, please provide your os info. I'll investigate it
to see what the problem is.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

WT

Hello Allen,

I finally found on forums a lighter working solution than full reinstall of
vs2008 SP1:
devenv /setup with administrator run under vista.

KB955706: MS SQL server 2005 Express with advanced Services Service pack 3
was at the origin of my problem.

Before OK, after no editor preference for XML and various pbs.

CS

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi CS,

Thanks for sharing this experience with us. It'll benefit other community
members. Here's the summary of this issue.

Symptoms:

After installing KB955706: MS SQL server 2005 Express with advanced
Services Service pack 3
The Intellisense of Visual Studio 2008 SP1 get lost.

Resolution:

Run devenv /setup
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ex6a2fad(VS.80).aspx

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

Juan T. Llibre

I still don't understand why a SQL Server SP would affect VS 2008.
There must be a different explanation for what happened.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
=========================

WT

Vista is a complex engine, kind of wild mustang :)
Since working with it for dev, I have lost many time in compatibilities with
VS2008/SQL server....
Don't you ???

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> Since working with it for dev, I have lost many time in compatibilities with VS2008/SQL server....
!> Don't you ???

Can't say I have lost any time, but I use real operating systems... :)

I'm currently running both Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2005...

I *hate* Vista...with a passion.
I can't wait for Windows 7 to "fix" Vista...by substituting it.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/

Joined
Jul 27, 2009
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I fixed the problem

Thanks guys for your hints, I tried this problem for some time. I am currently with Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and Visual Studio 2008 SP1. And I was getting this error 'An error occured loading this property page' in Tools -> Options -> Text Editor -> XML -> Formating. Then placed in command prompt as administrator I have filled 'devenv / setup'. And VOALA