LRU cache (and other things missing from the standard library ...)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Gerhard Haering, Nov 1, 2004.

  1. I recently implemented a LRU cache. And I wondered why such a useful class is
    not already in the standard library. The only thing I found was a cookbook
    entry but the comments said it was problematic.

    Btw. my implementation is currently at
    http://initd.org/svn/initd/pysqlite/trunk/misc/lru.py Does anybody see any
    problems with this code?

    I've already started translating it into C (*) , which speeds it up by between
    factor 5 to 8. Maybe a candidate for the standard library once it's finished?

    -- Gerhard

    (*) http://initd.org/svn/initd/pysqlite/trunk/src/cache.c is the first iteration.
    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

    Gerhard Haering, Nov 1, 2004

  2. Gerhard Haering

    Paul Moore Guest

    Gerhard Haering <> writes:

    > I recently implemented a LRU cache. And I wondered why such a useful class is
    > not already in the standard library. The only thing I found was a cookbook
    > entry but the comments said it was problematic.

    [...]

    > I've already started translating it into C (*) , which speeds it up by between
    > factor 5 to 8. Maybe a candidate for the standard library once it's finished?

    Would this be a suitable addition for the collections module (which
    currently only has deque in it)?

    I'm not sure if a LRU cache counts as a "collection" in that sense. I
    looked at the code briefly, but don't really follow it yet...

    Paul.
    --
    One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to
    do and always a clever thing to say. -- Will Durant
    Paul Moore, Nov 4, 2004