macro conventions

Seebs

Killfile someone who doesn't appear to be a troll?

I think that should have been "distinguishability" or something.

A friend of mine had a wonderful mathematics joke:

Let epsilon be less than zero...

-s

Michael Press

Keith Thompson said:
ralph said:
[...]
TO be clear, it's leading underscores that should be avoided. FOO_BAR,
for example, is perfectly ok. Trailing underscores are also ok, though
I wouldn't use them without a good reason.

Thanks for that catch. I did make it sound like underscores should be
avoided throughout an identifier, when they are in fact OK.

It should also be amplified that double underscores "_ _" are reserved
even within or trailing an identifier

FOO_BAR is OK, FOO__BAR or FOOBAR__ is not.
[...]

No, they aren't. I think C++ reserves idenifiers with double
underscores (so they can be used for name mangling, if I recall
correctly), but C doesn't.

Still, it certainly couldn't hurt to avoid double underscores in
C code.

Because every incursion on user name space is significant?

Phil Carmody

Seebs said:
I think that should have been "distinguishability" or something.

Hmmm, yeah. I was trying to measure closeness using a distance.
A friend of mine had a wonderful mathematics joke:

Let epsilon be less than zero...

Too subtle. Take a large negative epsilon ...

Phil