Macro function syntax

Ann O'Nymous

I have a macro function that's like the following:

int function2(int*,int,int,int);

#define xyz(a,b,c) {\
int x[100],i; \
for(i=0;i<c;i++) x = something(a,b,c); \
function2(x,a,b,c); \
}

where "something" is a mathematical expression of a,b and c, and
"function2" is a function returning int.

Calls like:

xyz(1,2,3);

work fine, other than the return value of "function2" gets thrown away.

Now, if I want to do this:

int jkl;
jkl = xyz(1,2,3);

where "jkl" is to get that value returned by "function2", how do I do
it? I'm having trouble with the syntax.

I want things to expand where:

jkl = xyz(p,q,r);

expands equivalently to:
{
int x[100],i;
for(i=0;i<r;i++) x = something(p,q,r);
jkl = function2(x,p,q,r);

Ben Bacarisse

Ann O'Nymous said:
Thanks, but I can't actually do this. I simplified my problem, and am
actually using a variadic argument list.

Without the actual code (including the full range of calls that might
be made) lots of answers may be wasted.

There is a big picture question that might help to have answered. Why
not use a function? The answer may be that you can't re-write the two
called functions to take a va_list, but that as least rules out the
obvious solution.

Ann O'Nymous

Without the actual code (including the full range of calls that might
be made) lots of answers may be wasted.

There is a big picture question that might help to have answered. Why
not use a function? The answer may be that you can't re-write the two
called functions to take a va_list, but that as least rules out the
obvious solution.

OK. I simplified things so I'd get a generic answer so I'd know what to
do next time. This is what I have at the moment:

void buildlist(unsigned int *,...);
int zlink(int(int,...),int,unsigned int *);

#define LINKX(routine,flags,...)\
{unsigned int list[MAXARGS];\
buildlist(list,__VA_ARGS__);\
j = zlink((routine),(flags),list);\
}

"routine" is a function (one of many) called by zlink with a specialized
parameter list in array list, and the functions cannot be changed. It
returns int.

zlink() cannot be changed.

The "j=zlink()" is a hack to get the return value out.

Calls are like this:

int returnvalue1,returnvalue2;
int j;
int module1(int,...),module2(int,...);
LINKX(module1,flag,1,2,3);
returnvalue1=j;
LINKX(module2,flag2,4,5,6,7,8,9);
returnvalue2=j;
I'd like to eliminate the "j=zlink() hack and change things so calls are
like this:

returnvalue1 = LINKX(module1,flag,1,2,3);

David Resnick

[...]

Why not put the return value as a LINKX argument before the valist?
as in
#define LINKX(routine, flags, returnvar,...)\
returnvar = zlink((routine),(falgs),list);

Usage:
LINKX(module2,flag2,returnvalue2,4,5,6,7,8,9);

This is what pete was suggesting I'd guess, why did you think it a bad
idea?

-David

Ben Bacarisse

Ann O'Nymous said:
[...]

What other bits of C99 can you use? If you can use compound literals
you can turn the macro into a expression provided that you can change
buildlist to return a pointer to its list:

#define LINKX(routine, flags, ...)\
zlink((routine), (flags),\
buildlist((unsigned int[MAXARGS]){0}, __VA_ARGS__));

Alternatively, you might be able to share the temporary array:

#define LINKX(routine, flags, ...)\
(buildlist(shared_list, __VA_ARGS__),\
zlink((routine), (flags), shared_list))

You then need to define shared_array in the containing block. If
buildlist can use a static array and return that you could write:

#define LINKX(routine, flags, ...)\
zlink((routine), (flags), buildlist(__VA_ARGS__));

There is also a gcc-specific solution using ({}).

Ann O'Nymous

Why not put the return value as a LINKX argument before the valist? ....
This is what pete was suggesting I'd guess, why did you think it a bad
idea?

It's not a bad idea, and it's probably what I'll be doing. It just
seems that there has to be a better way, a C function macro should be
able to act like a function. I just want the code to look like a
function call, since the called routines are often functions.

However, some of the time, they are not functions, or the function
return value is ignored, meaning the extra parameter is not really
used.

So, is there a way to rewrite LINKX to be able to use the syntax
x=LINKX(module,flag,foo); or
LINKX(module,flag,foo); ?
If not, I'll add the extra parameter.

Also to Kenneth B, I am aware of the "do {...} while (0)" issue and may
do that if I have calls like you mention. In fact, I'm sure I will have
to do that.
Also is "x = do {...} while (0);" valid C syntax? (if so, what does x
get set to?)

Keith Thompson

Ann O'Nymous said:
It's not a bad idea, and it's probably what I'll be doing. It just
seems that there has to be a better way, a C function macro should be
able to act like a function. I just want the code to look like a
function call, since the called routines are often functions.
[...]

There is no such thing as a "function macro" or a "macro function" in C.
There are "function-like macros", but those are merely macros with
parameters.

Keep in mind that macro expansion is almost purely textual, and applies
only to the macro invocation itself. For example, given:

x = MY_MACRO(y, z);

the expansion of MY_MACRO can't do anything with x.

Shao Miller

#define MAXARGS 10
typedef unsigned int zlink_args[MAXARGS];

int zlink(int(int, ...), int, unsigned int *);
int zlink(int bar(int, ...), int flags, unsigned int *list) {
return 12;
}

unsigned int *buildlist(zlink_args list, ...) {
/* ... */
return list;
}

int foo(int bar, ...) {
return 5;
}

#define LINKX(routine,flags,list, ...) \
(zlink((routine),(flags),buildlist((list), __VA_ARGS__)))

int main(void) {
zlink_args mylist;
int w, x, y, z;

w = x = y = z = 10;
return LINKX(foo, (1 << 3) & (1 << 4), mylist, w, x, y, z);

Ann O'Nymous

#define MAXARGS 10
typedef unsigned int zlink_args[MAXARGS];

int zlink(int(int, ...), int, unsigned int *);
int zlink(int bar(int, ...), int flags, unsigned int *list) {
return 12;
}

unsigned int *buildlist(zlink_args list, ...) {
/* ... */
return list;
}

int foo(int bar, ...) {
return 5;
}

#define LINKX(routine,flags,list, ...) \
(zlink((routine),(flags),buildlist((list), __VA_ARGS__)))

int main(void) {
zlink_args mylist;
int w, x, y, z;

w = x = y = z = 10;
return LINKX(foo, (1<< 3)& (1<< 4), mylist, w, x, y, z);
}

I'll probably do something like this, although I want to hide the
zlink_args stuff in the macro. Thanks.

Shao Miller

I'll probably do something like this, although I want to hide the
zlink_args stuff in the macro.  Thanks.
Could you at all be interested in sharing a bit more about your
requirement for building the arguments into an array that's all inside
the macro?

For example, why use a macro at all? You could use a function that
allocates the array, populates it from arguments, then calls 'zlink'
and returns that call's result.

Also, consider a loop where we don't pass 'mylist':

enum { lim = 50 };
int i, rc, w, x, y, z;

w = x = y = z = 0;
for (i = 0; i < lim; i++) {
rc = LINKX(foo, (1 << 3) & (1 << 4), w, x, y, z);
if (rc) {
/* ... */

If you use Ben's suggestion of C99 compound literals within your
'LINKX' macro, you get nameless objects with automatic storage
duration. When does their lifetime end? If it's the 'for' {} body,
then what's to prevent allocating 50 of them above, as per 'lim'?
That might get expensive.

Are you trying to make minimal changes to someone else's code? Are
you using 'setjmp()' and friends and have concerns about allocating
something like 'mylist' in a function's body? Or maybe you don't wish
to add such an allocation to every function using the 'LINKX' macro?