Macruby - some basic questions

R.. Kumar 1.9.1 OSX

I am going thru the macruby site and tutorial.

1. I'd like to know if macruby is essentially meant for developing GUI
applications on OS X ?

2. Is there some list of example applications developed with macruby ?
I'd like to see what's been developed with macruby before i decide if
its interesting enough for me to get into.

3. What is the essential advantage of macruby over ruby 1.9 ?
Is it access to OS X core data/audio etc services and features?

thanks, rk.

Eric Christopherson

I am going thru the macruby site and tutorial.

1. I'd like to know if macruby is essentially meant for developing GUI
applications on OS X ?

2. Is there some list of example applications developed with macruby ?
I'd like to see what's been developed with macruby before i decide if
its interesting enough for me to get into.

3. What is the essential advantage of macruby over ruby 1.9 ?
Is it access to OS X core data/audio etc services and features?

While I can't answer any of your questions specifically, you might be
interested in the MacRuby list at

Dave Baldwin

I am going thru the macruby site and tutorial.
=20
1. I'd like to know if macruby is essentially meant for developing GUI
applications on OS X ?

It provides a toll free bridge between ruby and the objective-c world of =
Cocoa and the other Apple frameworks. Macruby can be used for anything =
you want to use these frameworks for, but the obvious (and probably most =
popular) use will be for GUI development.
=20
2. Is there some list of example applications developed with macruby ?
I'd like to see what's been developed with macruby before i decide if
its interesting enough for me to get into.

I don't recall seeing a list, but it was only at the last version (0.6) =
it was deemed stable enough for proper development so I don't think =
there are many apps out there yet. There is a growing set of samples.
=20
3. What is the essential advantage of macruby over ruby 1.9 ?
Is it access to OS X core data/audio etc services and features?

Undoubtedly access to the OS X core frameworks. It uses LLVM for its =
JIT and has ahead of time compilation (good for startup speed and =
keeping your code private). Not much effort has gone into performance =
tuning yet but given the effort going into LLVM and the low level system =
support (garbage collection, method dispatch and multicore support) I =
expect it will eventually be faster than standard 1.9.

Dave.

R.. Kumar 1.9.1 OSX

Eric said:
While I can't answer any of your questions specifically, you might be
interested in the MacRuby list at
<http://lists.macosforge.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/macruby-devel>.

Thanks for the answers.

I was avoiding joining the list, till I knew what it was all about and
whether it was interesting for me or not. A lot of the information
assumes you already know all the Mac terms. I've been on a Mac for 6
years, but essentially been using GNU screen and vim and ruby. So no
idea of cocoa, Obj-c, ruby cocoa, hotcocoa, frameworks, etc.

So i've understood that it's essentially for GUI development on OS X.

Cheers and thanks.