    launches?
    How would i set the application icon.. is there a bundle format for
    java applications?

    SpreadTooThin, Jun 5, 2009

  2. SpreadTooThin

    Mark Space Guest

    SpreadTooThin wrote:
    > I've written a server that has no user interface (at the moment).

    If it's a "server" then normally someone who knows servers installs it
    and decides how to best do that on their system.

    > I'd like to make a platform independent application out of it.
    > What is the distribution method of java applications?
    > like.. is it a jar file and all systems just know what to do with the
    > jar file and has an icon that a user can click on and the application
    > launches?

    Jar files are one possibility. I don't think "all users" know what to
    do with a jar however. You could look at Java Web Start, I use an app
    made by someone else which uses JWS and as a user I find it very
    convenient. There's also various installers available.

    <http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/deployment/deployment-guide/contents.html>
    <http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/javaws/developersguide/contents.html>

    <http://java-source.net/open-source/installer-generators>

    > How would i set the application icon.. is there a bundle format for
    > java applications?

    Just jar files, but I think both JWS and the installers above can set an
    icon for you. In fact I'm sure JWS can.

    Mark Space, Jun 5, 2009

  3. SpreadTooThin

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 21:48:22 -0700 (PDT), SpreadTooThin
    said :

    >I've written a server that has no user interface (at the moment).
    >I'd like to make a platform independent application out of it.
    >What is the distribution method of java applications?
    >like.. is it a jar file and all systems just know what to do with the
    >jar file and has an icon that a user can click on and the application
    >launches?
    >How would i set the application icon.. is there a bundle format for
    >java applications?

    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/installer.html

    For techies, a ZIP will suffice.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com

    Never discourage anyone... who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
    ~ Plato 428 BC died: 348 BC at age: 80

    Roedy Green, Jun 6, 2009
  4. SpreadTooThin

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    SpreadTooThin wrote:
    > I've written a server that has no user interface (at the moment).
    > I'd like to make a platform independent application out of it.

    Server apps are not installed platform independently - windows
    services, *nix daemons, VMS detached processes are all different.

    > What is the distribution method of java applications?
    > like.. is it a jar file and all systems just know what to do with the
    > jar file and has an icon that a user can click on and the application
    > launches?

    For a desktop app then an executable jar is fine.

    > How would i set the application icon.. is there a bundle format for
    > java applications?

    No.

    The icon is the GUI's representation for a jar file - not
    something the jar file itself can control.

    On some/most platform you can control it by creating a
    native executable (I have code for Windows somewhere)
    wrapper.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Jun 10, 2009